+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oh Dear, Brentford

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Well, well...what a turn up. Helped that it seemed like we were playing Barcelona in the first half and Burton in the second...but a very encouraging come back. Well done to all in the second half.

God knows who’ll be playing up top against Stoke if CKR is injured as I’m presuming Gregory won’t be eligible.
    Thought something odd might happen! I do wish Rooney would be able to work out the team and tactics before half time though, not exactly good if one requires 45 mins to work out whats required!

Or is he still picking the tactics and players names out of a hat?

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Thought something odd might happen! I do wish Rooney would be able to work out the team and tactics before half time though, not exactly good if one requires 45 mins to work out whats required!

Or is he still picking the tactics and players names out of a hat?
    Tbf...Gregory has been injured/out of sorts and Sibley a pale shadow of the player we saw at the end of last season, while people have been clamouring for Watson to start. Yesterday stood all that on it’s head and Watson, along with every single Derby outfield player, looked, horribly out of his depth in that first half.

Watson’s time will come, but if there are things to learn...imo they are...Knight is much more effective in a more central position. Joswiak needs to prove that he has something (anything!) to offer before he is picked in the starting line up again, and stop messing around with the captaincy. Last night it was Wisdom, about our fifth of the season I think. Sensible choice imo...but in recent games he’s been a) dropped and b) played at wing back. Play him in the centre of defence where he leads by example, decide who the captain is and stick with him.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Tbf...Gregory has been injured/out of sorts and Sibley a pale shadow of the player we saw at the end of last season, while people have been clamouring for Watson to start. Yesterday stood all that on it’s head and Watson, along with every single Derby outfield player, looked, horribly out of his depth in that first half.

Watson’s time will come, but if there are things to learn...imo they are...Knight is much more effective in a more central position. Joswiak needs to prove that he has something (anything!) to offer before he is picked in the starting line up again, and stop messing around with the captaincy. Last night it was Wisdom, about our fifth of the season I think. Sensible choice imo...but in recent games he’s been a) dropped and b) played at wing back. Play him in the centre of defence where he leads by example, decide who the captain is and stick with him.
    Watson, bar the opening 10, Joz and Bird were invisible in that first half. Sibley looked better IMO because he wasn't stuck out wide left. Not Wisdom's first game as skipper, previous gane Kazim became our 7th of the season.

A veritable game of 2 halves. First half we weren't at the races. Wrong setup to worry the Bees. Joz and Bird were largely invisible. Watson started well for 10 minutes but spent the rest of the half in the same cloak of invisibility as Joz and Bird. I had visions of a cricket score the way the first haf went.

0-1. Wis gives the ball away, 2 passes later the ball is passed into our box, Buchanan is neither ball side nor goal side of his man, there is contact, sufficient to take down a man at speed and the penalty was rightly given.

Mbeuno's missed chance. Buhanan's man, in principle but he had come inside to harry the man who passed tp Mbeuno. Right choice but that player was actually for Clarke or Wis, neither of whom were where they should have been.

0-2. Wis misses a tackle in the centre circle. They attack down the left, Canos cuts into the penalty area and shoots through Byrne's legs and inside the near post. Looking at it closely, Roos may have been a foot too far left but he wouldn't have expected the ball to miss both Byrne and the Brentford player who was up there.

I thought we would then be more down come HT but we weren't.

Enter the Roo. 3 changes at HT and we suddenly looked the top 6 side. Not the first time of late he's got it wrong and then put it right.

1-2. Caught them cold at the start of the 2nd half (nice to have the boot on the other foot...). Decent move saw Byrne take a pass out wide and put in a low cross that Gregory tapped into the empty net.

Then, from a corner, a melee sees the ball drop to Gregory who had no time to think, shot but a defender was on him and in the way.

Knight had a drive straight at their keeper.

2-2. On the attack, ball partially cleared. Not sure then that Lawro didn't foul their #20. Not given, only real misteake from the ref all game and I'm glad he made it. We recycle the ball, it drops to Roberts on the right side of their box. Sibs asks for it, I tought Roberts was going to shoot but then he responded to Sibs' yelling, gave him the ball, he turned left foot curler into the top left corner. Keeper no chance.

Thought the ref had a good un.

If the manager got it right in the 1st half, we may have had 3 points at our mercy. Frustrating seeing us being used as an experiment. If we're going to stay up without drama he needs to get it right from the start, no excuses. If he wants to learn and try things out, do it with a mid-table lower league team. A relegation could be disastrous for us.

I'm happy we pulled back a point, but it doesn't gloss over how poor we've been of late, and it worries me about our future.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Watson, bar the opening 10, Joz and Bird were invisible in that first half. Sibley looked better IMO because he wasn't stuck out wide left. Not Wisdom's first game as skipper, previous gane Kazim became our 7th of the season.
    I stand corrected...Bird, Knight, Marshall, CKR and Wisdom are the ones I was thinking of, but I’m sure you’re right. Either way...imo making Bird captain was always ridiculous and Knight not much better, I’ve never been a fan of goalkeepers being skippers and although I recognise CKR to be a leader I’m much happier to see a skipper being a) one of the first names on the team sheet and b) a player who is in the heart of the action...Wisdom ticks those boxes and is also about the last player in our squad I’d argue with.

The other experienced contender who I don’t think has been tried, is Shinnie.

Rooney and Davies are the two others rA

After such an abysmal first half a great result, I nearly didn't watch the second half but decided to give it 15 minutes and see how things went fully expecting them to get a third. Instead an actual performance and brilliant recovery made the rest of the evening somewhat pleasant. Suddenly my bottle of Peddy tasted much nicer
    This lot can actually play if the square pegs go in the square holes, strange that! Well Wayne, let's have more of the same and maybe, just maybe, we can stop looking over our shoulders!

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Rooney and Davies are the two others rA
    Of course...forgotten them, seems so long ago. Can’t help but think that of the other five...being tried and then passed over doesn’t do much for self confidence. I suppose if it hadn’t been for injury Marshall would still have the job, but my personal preference would always be for an outfield player.

So, Gregory can't play against Stoke, his parent club. Kazim is doubtful due the hip/knee knocks he got. That's the bad news.

Good news is Cameron Cresswell has been called up to the first team training and...... scored with an overhead today. More of the same come Satdeh would be good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)