+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Historic England - The Black Country

Courtesy of Q165

Wolverhampton Level 473 early 1950’s

Name:  IMG_2775.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  99.7 KB

Courtesy of Q165

Name:  IMG_2779.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  82.1 KB

Courtesy of Q165

anon, unless anyone can identify the team

Name:  IMG_2778.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  86.8 KB

Courtesy of Q165

Owen Street Tipton Jan 1969

Name:  IMG_2777.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  96.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    Courtesy of Q165

Princes End branch line looking towards Ocker Hill, September 1978

Attachment 18691
    Nice to see Doughnut and the rest of the Double Deckers having such fun!

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Nice to see Doughnut and the rest of the Double Deckers having such fun!
    Well spotted I remember them well

Quote Originally Posted by Subwaywolf View Post
    Sorry but this is full of inaccuracies.................where to start!

There is no evidence that the BC was ever named after the thick seam, this was something invented by those founders of the BCS in the 1960s. It suited there stance as most coal mines in Wolverhampton mined the thin seam and iron-ore, both which were critical for the development of the iron industry in the BC. Most of the thick seam was only suitable for household use, except in the district west of Dudley. I challenged the BCS about this definition and they have dropped it now as it has no foundation at all.

Coal mining has taken place for hundreds of years in the region, but it was only once the iron industry became established with its smoking furnaces and chimneys that killed any vegetation and blackened the atmosphere, that the name Black Country (BC) evolved around 1830-40.

Secondly, all those original sources (Gresley, Sidney, White, Burritt, Griffiths) geographically described the 'original BC' as comprising the Staffordshire section of our region only, with the Worcestershire section including Dudley only being incorporated 15-20 years later. These early sources all described the 'original BC' as incorporating 'Wolverhampton, Bilston, Wednesbury, Tipton, and northern West Bromwich'. Local sources confirmed the same, such as Reverend Isles, and the Earl of Dartmouth who owned mining land at West Bromwich - they determined that 10 of Wolverhampton's 14 parish areas lay truly in the BC, but not including those 4 parishes lying on its smaller, less-populated (back then) western side.

I spent 3 years studying newspaper archives (local and national) as well as those early 1800s books and all confirm the above. Contrary to the post above, Wolverhampton was widely considered to be the Capital or Metropolis of the BC, and Dudley did not consider itself to be so until the 1960s. Wolverhampton had first mooted the notion that it was only 'Of the BC but not in it' in 1937 as its western residential aspects evolved and with it newer engineering industries, but throughout the key section of the Industrial Revolution, Wolverhampton was a key BC town with 15000 metal workers and 3000 miners (I exclude Bilston from these figures for the sake of argument), and its average age of death was the 3rd lowest in the UK at just 19 years and 1 month. Between 400-600 miners died in Wolverhampton coal-mining incidents (again NOT Bilston) between 1830-1900.

The new pits at Jubilee, Sandwell Park, Hilton, Baggeridge, and Ashmore Park were not the typical shallow BC coal-mine, and hence did not really scar the surface in the same traditional way, hence writers like Phil Drabble exclude those areas from the original BC.

Wolverhampton was often the town most affected by the smog from the furnaces and chimneys due to its vast iron works, as viewed by some of those writers named, when viewing the region from Dudley Castle.

The BC was not named after nailers or chain-makers, tho in the 1900s these occupations have gained near-mythical status amongst BC historians because of their respective struggles and hardship. This 1900s perception of what defined the BC, with Dudley at its heart, is very different to the common view of the 'original BC'. Even 15 out of 17 1950-1980s writers acknowledge that Wolverhampton is a BC town.

Regards modern Wolverhampton, it is a confusing situation as its western suburbs like Tettenhall, Penn, Finchfield, Oxley, and Bushbury to the north were green field sites during the Industrial Revolution so strictly speaking cannot be considered BC and I doubt many people from those areas, certainly on the western side, associate themselves with it. The rest of the population are probably confused, depending on what they were told by their elders or what they were taught But only recently have those critical 1800s documents become easy to access, that tell us why the BC evolved and where the original BC lay. But this notion that Wolverhampton only wanted any BC legacy in recent times, is frankly laughable. Both Wolverhampton and West Bromwich, along with Walsall, lie on the edge of the BC. I certainly don't feel like I'm in the BC when I'm in West Bromwich, it feels very Birmingham-suburb to me, in fact until you go northward towards Wednesbury at Golds Hill, Carters Green, and Hill Top, which just like Monmore Green and Horsley Fields, were true BC areas.
    feels like a Birmingham suburb,that’s a very strange thing to say .golds hill,Carter’s green and hill top are in West Bromwich.

Quote Originally Posted by albion68 View Post
    feels like a Birmingham suburb,that’s a very strange thing to say .golds hill,Carter’s green and hill top are in West Bromwich.
    Sorry, probably didn't explain well enough. I agree north and west of the town centre feels very BC, but south and east does not, at least to me. Carters Green, Hill Top, Golds Green feel like Black Country. That is what I meant. They are industrial areas with a history of coal-mining and iron production - just like Monmore Green and Horsley Fields in Wolverhampton.

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    Courtesy of Q165

Owen Street Tipton Jan 1969

Name:  IMG_2777.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  96.1 KB
    You'll never see a scene likes this again, all the cars, buss's and the lorry made in England.

The picture of the car balanced on the edge of the harbour is of Wells-next-the-Sea, North Norfolk. It is a lovely town with some excellent pubs and harbour side fish and chip shops. The trouble is, though, on a nice Summer day, the place gets rammed. It is amazing to stand and watch the tide come in to that harbour, it’s a big tide and comes in extremely fast.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)