+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Historic England - The Black Country

Historic England - The Black Country

I receive the Historic England newsletter. The latest, received today, contains something about the Black Country featuring a lot of photographs (I haven’t read the text). It is called the Living Memory Project and I think a lot of you will be interested by what is in there. To quote from the introduction

‘The Living Memory Project captures and celebrates personal photography collections and everyday life stories from across the Black Country region. The project started in 2018 and finishes in 2020 with the publication of the Living Memory book and a final showcase exhibition.’

I have looked on their main website and it is not there. It seems you have to subscribe to the newsletter to get it (very easy). This is done through the website. The photographs take a bit of finding in the newsletter but if you follow these steps you will get there.

- Future of the High Street
    - Living Memory Project (West Midlands)
    - ‘Future Stirchley’ by Living Memory Project.

Click on Living Memory Project and it opens up!

A bit of a palaver but it is well worth it. Let me know if you would like some assistance. Cheers.

Wonderful mate, thanks for posting.

This particular photo fascinates me, it could easily be the backyard of the house I was born in in Coseley. It probably isn't but the background and the fencing and the two ladies who could easily be a couple of my mom's nine sisters stir a lot of memories anyway.

I couldn't see details of the locations anywhere, did I miss something?

Name:  jim8.jpg
Views: 738
Size:  90.6 KB

As a bit of an aside On Facebook (I know not everyone's cup of tea) there are a number of local groups concerned with things "historical" about the area - West Bromwich, Smethwick and the Black Country in general

Quote Originally Posted by WOODLANDSWOLF View Post

This particular photo fascinates me, it could easily be the backyard of the house I was born in in Coseley. It probably isn't but the background and the fencing and the two ladies who could easily be a couple of my mom's nine sisters stir a lot of memories anyway.

On second viewing, based on incline the houses are on and the bare hill in the background this is most likely the "Wrens Nest" [The Wrenner] estate which was about a mile from where I was hatched. Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by WOODLANDSWOLF View Post

Woodlands, as far as I can see there are no details regarding many of the pictures. But I did see something under "Featured photo' (it shows a picture of a man and a lady in a shop). It contains the photos and memories supplied by somebody called Ned Williams. This contains much detail about names, places, his memories and much else.

There is so much information it is difficult to tell just what is there.

Ned Williams is a prolific writer of most things Black Country. He has written mainly about the old abandoned Railways around the BC area plus books on old cinemas and theatres that once graced the BC area but now hardly any remain.

I have loads of books of the Black Country, it's railway's and canals, even a recipe book of Black Country food.
    I also have a lot of old ordnance survey books of the are.
    I never thought Smethwick a part of the Black Country, more Birmingham.
    No coal mines in Smethwick.
    Like Wolverhampton, Smethwick is a manufacturing town that sits on the fringe of the Black Country proper.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    I have loads of books of the Black Country, it's railway's and canals, even a recipe book of Black Country food.
    I also have a lot of old ordnance survey books of the are.
    I never thought Smethwick a part of the Black Country, more Birmingham.
    No coal mines in Smethwick.
    Like Wolverhampton, Smethwick is a manufacturing town that sits on the fringe of the Black Country proper.
    I'm from Smethwick Des', and I can confirm that although my dad's half of the family are from Gornal I've never considered myself to be from the Black Country. I'm not a fkn Brummie either though, as well you know.

I often refer to The Independent People's Republic of Smethwick as a b@st@rd state unwanted by both Birmingham and the Black Country. And that's just fine by me.

Halesowen was my home for most of my formative years and I believe that was on the edge of the Black Country, never actually in it? Nowadays, though, Halesowen has been incorporated into the borough of Dudley, has it not, and I have heard it referred to as being in the Black Country. If it wasn’t originally, then it can’t be now, can it?

Name:  black_country.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  87.5 KB This map has always caused a bit of "discussion"

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)