+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Historic England - The Black Country

Quote Originally Posted by albion68 View Post
    absolutely fantastic experience woods.mine was but not so dramatic was going from Wolverhampton l.level to Stafford road on the footplate of king John.they use to change engines at low level.my late uncle was a singleman which box I don’t know somewhere between West Brom and low level.he arranged for me and my mate to be on low level at the time of the change over.can you the imagine two 13 year old kids the adrenaline was coming out our ears never to be forgotten.P.S.whats kids got today to equal these experiences.
    Fantastic mate. I had a similar but slightly less dramatic experience. I was with a mate on the fence close to the Cannock Road signal box which was just north of Low Level station. The signal man, who turned out to be a guy that lived at the top of our street, recognized me and got us a ride on a the footplate of a little pannier tank engine that was running back to the shed. Not as grand as a King but like you say never to be forgotten.

One of the saddest sights sites I have seen was looking over the wall of Dunstall Park Station into Stafford Road shed yard and seeing all the King locomotives in a row, withdrawn from service never to run again. It was in 1961 I think.

Quote Originally Posted by WOODLANDSWOLF View Post
    Fantastic mate. I had a similar but slightly less dramatic experience. I was with a mate on the fence close to the Cannock Road signal box which was just north of Low Level station. The signal man, who turned out to be a guy that lived at the top of our street, recognized me and got us a ride on a the footplate of a little pannier tank engine that was running back to the shed. Not as grand as a King but like you say never to be forgotten.

One of the saddest sights sites I have seen was looking over the wall of Dunstall Park Station into Stafford Road shed yard and seeing all the King locomotives in a row, withdrawn from service never to run again. It was in 1961 I think.
    they were all gone by 1962 woods,only 3 remaining in preservation,a little snippet but you might know they were 2king William 111,first one was involved in a accident and was scrapped just after being built and replaced by a second.that little pannier tank you mentioned it’s was still a working engine ,and probably doing a intragual job.

Quote Originally Posted by albion68 View Post
    they were all gone by 1962 woods,only 3 remaining in preservation,a little snippet but you might know they were 2king William 111,first one was involved in a accident and was scrapped just after being built and replaced by a second.that little pannier tank you mentioned it’s was still a working engine ,and probably doing a intragual job.
    Didn't know that about King William and I thought I knew most everything!

According to my little reference book here there were 16 panniers tanks allocated to Stafford Road in 1960. They would have been used for dragging train coaches from Cannock Road sidings up to Low Level, and back, also all the local shunting work including to and from Butlers Brewery of course. Useful little buggers. And when you got up close to one not so bloody small actually, not to a kid anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    Courtesy of Q165

Post compiled by Q165

Saw this and was reminded of my youth. Bob was quite a name and had a shop in Oldbury Road Smethwick. I was cycling there one showery Saturday morning. I was in a hurry as I wanted to get to the Albion. When a heavy shower finished I went off again hastily down the road. A car stooped in front of me, I crashed into it and went flying over the top. A man got out and said something I could not understand and drove off. There was this kid nearly crying and shouting but luckily they came back. The only thing I could do was to carry the completely broken frame to Bob’s. He was surprised at the sight but agreed to sort it out. Result! I am going to get a coveted new Bob Mansell frame. No such luck, I got a Falcon. I did get to the Albion though and we beat Northampton 4-3 I think

Attachment 18728
    Hey Phil wow bought back some memories

Bob used to come to our school when we could pick PE subjects I had a few years of cycling with him, along canals mainly he was such a cracking bloke, treated us like grown ups not kids and was quite a laugh
    Pissed himself when my mate fell in the canal and we fished him out, but then demanded we put him back in to get his bike which he had to wrap his legs round and pull up while we held his arms, poor kid had to cycle back to school absolutely drenched and was shivering and blue by the time he got back

POST COMPILED BY Q165

Two pics on the same theme of finishing materials - I am assuming these were taken somewhere in the Black Country. I am always interested in materials of construction. These surprisingly show the use of stone as opposed to the more usual and common place brick. I find this curious assuming of course that it is in the Black Country.

Name:  IMG_2788.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  96.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    POST COMPILED BY Q165

Two pics on the same theme of finishing materials - I am assuming these were taken somewhere in the Black Country. I am always interested in materials of construction. These surprisingly show the use of stone as opposed to the more usual and common place brick. I find this curious assuming of course that it is in the Black Country.

Name:  IMG_2788.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  96.4 KB
    I agree about the stone, a bit of an anomaly, looks a bit like a scruffy Cotswolds! However the profile of the hill on the upper picture sure looks like the back of the Wrens Nest. See pic below.

Name:  FP0HHF.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  99.6 KB

After a second look it has to be Dudley cause I can see my mates Reliant three wheeler parked back of that house!

Stone could be an expensive building material except near to where it was found. It was often not economical to use it because of the costs involved in transportation. There were no such constraints on some such as the church and wealthier property owners. For general housing it would most often be the case that whatever was local was used. It is likely those buildings are/were in Dudley. The nearby Wrens Nest was used extensively for quarrying limestone for use in industry. It seems it was also used sometimes for housing. That was possibly the case here. It makes sense....I find it interesting anyway.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)