+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dario

Dario

Well, someone has to start the discussion about Dario, so here goes.

My reading of the report, or the extracts that have been released so far, is that it exonerates Dario of any illegal activity (shall we say) with underage boys; indeed it seems that he was never accused of this despite much rumour and scaremongering, either explicitly or implicitly. This is very reassuring for those players that have had direct contact with Dario during his career, which is sadly now at an end.

He has, however, been found guilty of not reporting what he knew or, perhaps, refusing to believe that any man could do the awful things that Bennell and others were found guilty of. This shows a level of naivety on Dario’s part which probably does not come as a surprise to those that seem to know him best. The report says that they believe he answered honestly but could have done more at the time.

It’s a very sad end to Dario’s career and I’m not sure if his ban from football includes spectating at matches. Whatever the outcome it doesn’t alter the facts about what he personally has done for our football club and the hundreds of young people that he coached, whether they had no ability or loads of it. His enthusiasm for the game and how it can improve the lives of everyone involved remains self evident but, unfortunately, his actions, or more accurately inactions, have led to this reputation being forever tarnished.

A sad day for a genuine man.

Oh dear!!!!Safeguarding children was the issue.Hope all you sympathisers sleep well .I remember all those rumours all around the area, including a picnic area in Northwich,about the goings on at Crewe in the early 90's

Quote Originally Posted by ELDERBEZZA View Post
    Oh dear!!!!Safeguarding children was the issue.Hope all you sympathisers sleep well .I remember all those rumours all around the area, including a picnic area in Northwich,about the goings on at Crewe in the early 90's
    Might be worth you reading an article written by Peter Morse that resurfaced yesterday. This may p*** on your parade. If not I am happy to oblige

As someone who has been verbally abused for bringing up this problem with Crewe on this forum, about a team I have connections with, I am honest and upfront I am a season ticket holder at The Vale but I also attend up to 10 home games a season at Gresty Road and follow them closely.that does not mean this issue can be brushed under the carpet.

This is not p***ing on any bodies parade it's about understanding what those lads went through under Bennell of the 8 clubs mentioned 7 have apologised 1 hasn't guess who ?

I'm not interested in Peter Morse's article I am more interested in the Sheldon report, far less biased in my opinion.

One thing that has always worried me is why has Gradi been banned for life by the FA if he was totally innocent in these goings on?

Honestly, a little humility and an apology would go a long way, because I for one am embarrassed to explain Crewe's position in this ongoing issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Harkin View Post
    As someone who has been verbally abused for bringing up this problem with Crewe on this forum, about a team I have connections with, I am honest and upfront I am a season ticket holder at The Vale but I also attend up to 10 home games a season at Gresty Road and follow them closely.that does not mean this issue can be brushed under the carpet.

This is not p***ing on any bodies parade it's about understanding what those lads went through under Bennell of the 8 clubs mentioned 7 have apologised 1 hasn't guess who ?

I'm not interested in Peter Morse's article I am more interested in the Sheldon report, far less biased in my opinion.

One thing that has always worried me is why has Gradi been banned for life by the FA if he was totally innocent in these goings on?

Honestly, a little humility and an apology would go a long way, because I for one am embarrassed to explain Crewe's position in this ongoing issue.

I have read many of your posts on here and found them informative but how can you say the Sheldon report is less biased when you possibly haven't read Peter Morse article from an ex academy graduate

Unfortunately some people prefer to read the rags and their version (not saying you)
    Your worry re DG being banned is something many find strange as he has not been found guilty. I suppose they need a scapegoat
    Also the Sheldon report says he was assistant manager at Chelsea when he was actually an assistant coach. mmm

https://www.crewechronicle.co.uk/inc...2oVcfuycJjiW-0

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58 View Post
    Might be worth you reading an article written by Peter Morse that resurfaced yesterday. This may p*** on your parade. If not I am happy to oblige
    Well said

There seems to be an underlying assumption in TH’s post, and in previous ones, that we accept all that went on at our club - we don’t. I think I speak for all of our supporters when I say that we are as disgusted and appalled by Bennell’s actions as we are all such offences at all football clubs (as the report details there seem to be more clubs where it happened than not) and, indeed, all the other sports where it seems to be all too prevalent. Many of us are also more than a tad unhappy that our club does not shout its regret and apologies from the rooftops, although this does not mean these regrets and apologies aren’t present.

However, the Sheldon report doesn’t really say any more about the abuse happening at the Alex that hasnt already been well documented. What it does detail is Dario’s part in this - or not as the case may be - and that is what I really started this thread for. Contrary to popular belief, Dario has been cleared of any charges of abuse himself but found guilty of not reporting it, when he was a junior coach at Chelsea, or ignoring or not believing it was happening at Crewe when he was in charge. The ‘I was only following orders’ defence at Chelsea really won’t do, although there are plenty of others in the frame on that charge. As Dario was in charge at our club when Bennell was perpetrating his appalling abuse he must accept responsibility, whether he is guilty of ignoring it or didn’t believe it could happen and I guess on that score you pays your money and takes your choice.

I don’t like seeing his name dragged through the mud after all he did for the Alex, but a lifetime ban is only right, I’m afraid. Harkin says he was guilty; I think it only right that it is clear what he was guilty of.

Finally, I don’t know what is said on Vale sites, or whether any of us comment thereon, but I might suggest that you have a few problems of your own again - the best of luck with them; I hope you survive, but maybe only just!!!!
    Last edited by AstonAlex; 18-03-2021 at 03:37 PM.

A lot of what has been actually decided about Dario has been based on current day attitudes looking back at events in the past when the issues were less in the forefront. What bothers me is the press. The press were alsoo around in those days and had close relationships with the clubs. WHY didn't THEY say anything?
    In the end Dario is guilty of naivety and not standing out from the crowd in this respect. Has he been banned for life by the FA? Has anybody else? There is just that little underlying suspicion that a small club like the Alex are easy meat and that, once again, the super rich clubs and others teams with money (and expensive lawyers) will not hit the headlines.
    Just in case someone needs me to say it, ***ual abuse, of any kind against anyone is reprehensible and should be stamped out. In the end it is often not about ***, however the prurient may claim it is, it is about power and that is the root of many social ills.

Quote Originally Posted by AstonAlex View Post
    Finally, I don’t know what is said on Vale sites, or whether any of us comment thereon, but I might suggest that you have a few problems of your own again - the best of luck with them; I hope you survive, but maybe only just!!!!
    What is on Vales sites or any other clubs sites is immaterial, it is about more than football rivalries, this is about safeguarding young boys, Gradi is banned for life from football activity Why is he banned ? Is it because he felt it was acceptable to put your hands down a young lads shorts ? Sheldon pointed out it was not and Gradi had to agree.

The on field problems that Port Vale face pale into insignificance when compared to young lads contemplating suicide and to drag Vales name into this discussion is shameful or any other clubs name not involved.

Stoke City have issued an apology the sound of silence from Crewe is deafening lets hope something is forthcoming and this cloud can be lifted.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast