+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: England Squad for Euros

And now we see yet another gift of a goal that started with a back pass from whoever we have playing on the left wing to the f00king goalie, pathetic and typical of what is happening with this tactic (at club level also), of withdrawing the odd 50 yards rather than track forward and attack

But pleasing words in praise of Dallas playing in the match against Bulgaria.

I hope someone sent a car for Philips last night and he is in front of the physio this morning; talk about getting your pound of flesh, lad played more game time time than anyone I would think.

Catch 22 on this.

On one hand Phillips has done way more than act as a placeholder for an injured player. Very solid and unselfish. Exactly the kind of player the England needs more of.

On the other it just increases his chances for injury.

If the three lions focus on some young and hungry players like Phillips they could be very formidable. Not much different that Germany a couple of cups back. A high risk/high potential reward strategy.

I strongly agree with the thoughts on keepers. Not just a matter of lower teams but strategy as well. Teams that attack, such as Leeds, leave their keeps in spots where they have make huge saves. One I'll never forget was the Newcastle keeper years back (Shey Given). saw some games on the tube where they guy looked like some sort of circus acrobat he was flying around so much to make saves.

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    Catch 22 on this.

On one hand Phillips has done way more than act as a placeholder for an injured player. Very solid and unselfish. Exactly the kind of player the England needs more of.

On the other it just increases his chances for injury.

If the three lions focus on some young and hungry players like Phillips they could be very formidable. Not much different that Germany a couple of cups back. A high risk/high potential reward strategy.

I strongly agree with the thoughts on keepers. Not just a matter of lower teams but strategy as well. Teams that attack, such as Leeds, leave their keeps in spots where they have make huge saves. One I'll never forget was the Newcastle keeper years back (Shey Given). saw some games on the tube where they guy looked like some sort of circus acrobat he was flying around so much to make saves.
    It doesn't matter what they do, whilstever Southgate is in charge they will never win anything unless the other nations all just fall apart. We made very hard work of a very poor Poland team, any slight bit of difficulty and this team will crumble. It is very worrying and telling to me that as soon as we went up Soutgate went ultra defensive. Not interested in maintaining our lead by holding possesion and attacking, he invites pressure by removing attacking players which against better nations will just lead to them scoring.

Quote Originally Posted by joellufcprice View Post
    It doesn't matter what they do, whilstever Southgate is in charge they will never win anything unless the other nations all just fall apart. We made very hard work of a very poor Poland team, any slight bit of difficulty and this team will crumble. It is very worrying and telling to me that as soon as we went up Soutgate went ultra defensive. Not interested in maintaining our lead by holding possesion and attacking, he invites pressure by removing attacking players which against better nations will just lead to them scoring.
    Unfortunately that's the nature of tournament football, first rule is not to concede, second rule is not to lose.

So many defensive minded teams win those trophies.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)