+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Beatrix Potter, Harry Potter, Cherry Potter

It's all we've got left!!

Can we just sack Rooney? I know I said I'd support him, but I just can't. He couldn't organise a prayer in a mosque, and we're paying the price.

Don't think I've disliked a manager so much since Phil Brown.

Just for once, let's play the blame game. For me, there's only one candidate. The gaffer. He's the one who chose the system. He's the one who chose the pegs for the various holes and gave instructions as to where those holes should be.

When I saw what I took to be 1-3-4-3 I thought it was probably the way to go. Lots of speed and mobility and players with the passing skills to go round, through and past Stoke. I still think we could have as well, however........ the chosen tactics put paid to that.

Exaggerating a little to make the point...... Stoke put out their usual stature of player, averaging 6 foot 7. We countered that with our 5 foot 8. Not a problem when you plan to keep the ball on the floor and run rings round the less mobile oppositon's giants. However, when you choose to have the lines way too far apart and play the aerial game against the cast of Land of the Giants you are going to struggle and we did.

Not that Stoke really took advantage in terms of creating danger but they did do it a little better than us. They had 61% possession, 11 shots and, according to the stats, 3 on target but IMO 1 of those was their one 1st half shot that went off Roos for a corner which was heading for the side netting so, just the 2. The goal plus the 2nd half Roos save from a header. We managed 5 shots, none on target.

We started, as described above, with the wrong setup, yet again. When we got the ball we were immediately put under pressure. When they got it they always had at least 5 yards of space, we got 5 inches.

2nd half we got tighter to them and were a bit more in the game. The we rang the changes and played better. This getting it wrong and then changing it, too late, is becoming a theme in our play. If we could only get it right from the off.

Their goal? It all started with a free kick that shouldn't have been given IMO. I'm not going to slate the ref though as it was one of very few mistakes he made and he made less than any player out there.

We need to get back to a) keeping clean sheets and b) remembering that goals win matches and we need to shoot more often. Roberts should have let loose on 2 occasions in the first half but chose to beat 5 more players in going absolutely nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Just for once, let's play the blame game. For me, there's only one candidate. The gaffer. He's the one who chose the system. He's the one who chose the pegs for the various holes and gave instructions as to where those holes should be.

When I saw what I took to be 1-3-4-3 I thought it was probably the way to go. Lots of speed and mobility and players with the passing skills to go round, through and past Stoke. I still think we could have as well, however........ the chosen tactics put paid to that.

Exaggerating a little to make the point...... Stoke put out their usual stature of player, averaging 6 foot 7. We countered that with our 5 foot 8. Not a problem when you plan to keep the ball on the floor and run rings round the less mobile oppositon's giants. However, when you choose to have the lines way too far apart and play the aerial game against the cast of Land of the Giants you are going to struggle and we did.

Not that Stoke really took advantage in terms of creating danger but they did do it a little better than us. They had 61% possession, 11 shots and, according to the stats, 3 on target but IMO 1 of those was their one 1st half shot that went off Roos for a corner which was heading for the side netting so, just the 2. The goal plus the 2nd half Roos save from a header. We managed 5 shots, none on target.

We started, as described above, with the wrong setup, yet again. When we got the ball we were immediately put under pressure. When they got it they always had at least 5 yards of space, we got 5 inches.

2nd half we got tighter to them and were a bit more in the game. The we rang the changes and played better. This getting it wrong and then changing it, too late, is becoming a theme in our play. If we could only get it right from the off.

Their goal? It all started with a free kick that shouldn't have been given IMO. I'm not going to slate the ref though as it was one of very few mistakes he made and he made less than any player out there.

We need to get back to a) keeping clean sheets and b) remembering that goals win matches and we need to shoot more often. Roberts should have let loose on 2 occasions in the first half but chose to beat 5 more players in going absolutely nowhere.
    Excellent summary. I can't see any difference in talent between the two sides, yet they, as do every opposition, seem to have better instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by AdiSalisbury View Post
    Can we just sack Rooney? I know I said I'd support him, but I just can't. He couldn't organise a prayer in a mosque, and we're paying the price.

Don't think I've disliked a manager so much since Phil Brown.
    ‘Couldn’t organise a prayer in a mosque’. Lol!

You really dislike him that much, Adi? Can’t get rid of him...a) He’s only just signed a contract. b) Andy would have to change his avatar...again!

I can’t work him out. He can’t have as much experience as he has without knowing more than any of us and, let’s be honest, we’ve only looked like getting out of trouble since he took over and yet it does undeniably feel like two steps forward three steps back at the moment.
    Noticeable how no one mentions, or even sees any sign of, McClaren anymore.
    Maybe we’re just paying the price of years of poor recruitment which, unfortunately, didn’t change in January.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    ‘Couldn’t organise a prayer in a mosque’. Lol!

You really dislike him that much, Adi? Can’t get rid of him...a) He’s only just signed a contract. b) Andy would have to change his avatar...again!

I can’t work him out. He can’t have as much experience as he has without knowing more than any of us and, let’s be honest, we’ve only looked like getting out of trouble since he took over and yet it does undeniably feel like two steps forward three steps back at the moment.
    Noticeable how no one mentions, or even sees any sign of, McClaren anymore.
    Maybe we’re just paying the price of years of poor recruitment which, unfortunately, didn’t change in January.
    He has lots of playing experience, but **** all coaching experience and absolutely no management experience before being appointed Derby manager! He hasn't even got the required coaching qualifications - as i said at the time of his appointment, there must be a number of qualified, experienced or even up and coming managers who would have liked an opportunity like this, but its given to Rooney, one because he is a "big name" (although past experience suggests good player does not always equal good manager) and two because it was financially expedient to do so - the appointment probably cost very little over existing costs, we kept Rooney and the existing coaches so no compo required and no additional salary to be paid.

if we are playing the blame game - Mel's decision to appoint Rooney as permanent manager - fair enough keep him as temp until the end of the season until matters have been sorted - is why we are in the position we are in.

Yes undeniably there was a new manager "bounce" and the loss of Bielik, one player mind has been a factor, but its absolutely clear that Rooney's tactics are ****e! And apparently we can afford to leave a reasonable striker off the team sheet based on Rooney either not liking his attitude or training level - maybe Waghorn expressed his opinion that Rooney hasn't got a clue? Whatever, short of strikers, with the main man unfit and he can afford to do that?

All we can do is hope that Rotherham don't make up those pts with their games in hand or failing that Brum keep playing ****e! because I don't know where the next point is coming from.

I suspect Rooney was only given the job because he was already here and his wages in a roundabout sort of way we're already being covered so becoming our manager wouldn't cost us another wage, not sure if he signed another contract as manager or not so the end of this season is his initial 18month contract done isn't it?

Arghhh no he signed a 2.5 year deal till summer 2023

Agreed about his lack of managerial experience but he must have learned something...surely
    Last edited by ramAnag; 21-03-2021 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    He has lots of playing experience, but **** all coaching experience and absolutely no management experience before being appointed Derby manager! He hasn't even got the required coaching qualifications - as i said at the time of his appointment, there must be a number of qualified, experienced or even up and coming managers who would have liked an opportunity like this, but its given to Rooney, one because he is a "big name" (although past experience suggests good player does not always equal good manager) and two because it was financially expedient to do so - the appointment probably cost very little over existing costs, we kept Rooney and the existing coaches so no compo required and no additional salary to be paid.

if we are playing the blame game - Mel's decision to appoint Rooney as permanent manager - fair enough keep him as temp until the end of the season until matters have been sorted - is why we are in the position we are in.

Yes undeniably there was a new manager "bounce" and the loss of Bielik, one player mind has been a factor, but its absolutely clear that Rooney's tactics are ****e! And apparently we can afford to leave a reasonable striker off the team sheet based on Rooney either not liking his attitude or training level - maybe Waghorn expressed his opinion that Rooney hasn't got a clue? Whatever, short of strikers, with the main man unfit and he can afford to do that?

All we can do is hope that Rotherham don't make up those pts with their games in hand or failing that Brum keep playing ****e! because I don't know where the next point is coming from.
    Agreed about his lack of managerial experience but he must have learned something...surely.

Agree about the loss of Bielik being our (downward) turning point, and I have said that before...and about Waghorn too, must have done something wrong because usually his work rate is the one thing that can’t be criticised.

Tbh...if we don’t pick up three points next Friday against Luton I fear we’re done, because I just can’t see where a win is coming from against Reading, Norwich, Blackburn and Preston.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)