+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Which jab have you had?

I think this post neatly demonstrates part of the issue with the Bristol protests. I'm guessing that you (like most of the protestors, I suspect) haven't bothered to read the bill before commenting upon it?
    Thats where you keep the sugar! Bingo and full house!

Thats usually the case that some people protest about something they have little knowledge about, but have been wound up by some numpties on twitter

Quote Originally Posted by gm_gm View Post
    Thats where you keep the sugar! Bingo and full house!

Thats usually the case that some people protest about something they have little knowledge about, but have been wound up by some numpties on twitter
    Yep, round up the sheep and point them in the right direction. Leave them to bleat.

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    Im out if they stop selling Pukka Pies.
    Really?

You like half empty pies with gravy and a few tiny pieces of meat?

Morecambe do the best football pies.

Name:  morecambe-football-pie-lamb-mint.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  23.8 KB

The highest rated Pukka pie sold at the NYS is the Chicken Balti one and that's in 460th place on the pie rating site.

http://www.pierate.co.uk/p/pie-rankings.html
    Last edited by great_fire; 07-04-2021 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    Really?

The highest rated Pukka pie sold at the NYS is the Chicken Balti one and that's in 460th place on the pie rating site.

No. Im only joking. Im not going to Morecombe for a pie.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    I think this post neatly demonstrates part of the issue with the Bristol protests. I'm guessing that you (like most of the protestors, I suspect) haven't bothered to read the bill before commenting upon it?

The bill doesn't propose taking away 'any aspect of the right to protest'. It lowers the threshold at which the police can impose conditions upon public assemblies.

At the moment, the power to impose conditions is restricted to situations where there is a 'reasonable belief' that an assembly may result in serious public disorder, serious damage to property or serious disruption to the life of the community

The proposal is that the threshold be lowered to allow condistions to be imposed if there is a 'reasonable belief' that the noise generated by persons taking part in the procession may result in serious disruption to the activities of an organisation which are carried on in the vicinity of the procession, or it may result in the intimidation or harassment of persons of reasonable firmness with the characteristics of persons likely to be in the vicinity, or it may cause such persons to suffer serious unease, alarm or distress.

I think that any restriction upon the right to protest must be carefully scrutinised and not entered into lightly, but it would help if the debate were not fuelled by ignorance and 'kill the bill' rhetoric.

You're welcome.
    I have read much of it as it happens Kerr and thanks for highlighting the worrying aspects. How would you define "reasonable belief"? Whose reasonable belief? Who will be making that decision? the Home Secretary? Are you happy to Priti to have these powers?

Similarly, "the noise generated by persons taking part in the procession may result in..." The noise? What even peaceful demonstration takes place without noise? How is that not likely to "result in serious disruption" to nearby activities, if it is noise that worries affected organisations? I think we can agree with the "may result in the intimidation and harassment" part of the wording but "may cause such persons to suffer serious unease, alarm or distress". Frankly, any organised demosntration, even peaceful, is likely to cause some people "unease". Effectively the bill gives the police, and by extension, any government the powers to put a stop to any organised protest that they find inconvenient to them.

I notice that you didn't include the even more frightening part of legislation wrapped up in the bill: The new statutory offence of Public Nuisance provides for a maximum sentence of 10 years for anyone who does an act that, intentionally or recklessly, causes serious harm to the public or puts them at risk of such harm. The proposed definition of ‘serious harm’ includes where person suffers ‘serious annoyance, serious inconvenience or serious loss of amenity’.

Serious annoyance? A person taking part in a protest can be criminalised for 'annoying' somebody, in the eyes of an arresting officer. Really?

This goes for any protest by the way, including those whom I personally disagree with. We hear much made from people on here about the right to express your views being taken away, but very little about this.

Regarding people breaking laws in unlawful protest, we already have laws that cover this don't we? What does this bill bring to the table that wasn't already in existence?

So having carefully scrutinised the bill yourself, are you in favour of it?

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    Really?

Stocks of pies have as a much interest to me as whether players take the knee

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    No. Im only joking. Im not going to Morecombe for a pie.
    I've been getting my Pukka pies, from Farmfoods, were 6 pies for a fiver,
    crafty buggers now made it 4 pies for £4.
    83 pence up to £1 each

Quote Originally Posted by Ericsladkilnhurst View Post
    83 pence up to £1 each
    My favourite pie. I only tend to have one on match days. So not had one since the last home match.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericsladkilnhurst View Post
    83 pence up to £1 each
    You still got any mince pies left? You got a years supplies if I remember. Lol.

Pukka pies don't taste bad, there's just not enough meat in them anymore.

Mind you, Holland's are even worse, if you've ever had their "potato and meat" (largest ingredient first) it's more like a potato puree pie.

Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast