+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RIP Peter Lorimer

RIP Peter Lorimer

Just read of his passing. I remember as a kid being mightily impressed that he was said to have the most powerful shot in football (If I recall correctly). I would try to shoot as hard as a I could and pretend I was him. Great player. Another childhood hero departed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56234156

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Just read of his passing. I remember as a kid being mightily impressed that he was said to have the most powerful shot in football (If I recall correctly). I would try to shoot as hard as a I could and pretend I was him. Great player. Another childhood hero departed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56234156

He was part of a pretty successful Leeds side that played lots of games without much player rotation

Sprake
    Reaney Charlton Hunter Cooper
    Lorimer Bremner Giles Gray
    Clarke Jones

RIP Peter

Very sad, great player in his day, saw him play on many occasions...RIP

Full obituary here. Some career that! That Leeds side was a remarkable unit back in those simpler football days.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56353103
    Last edited by SwalePie; 20-03-2021 at 11:53 AM.

I got to see him play at the end of his career when Leeds was our opening fixture after we'd got relegated out of the top flight in 1984.
    I'd earned myself the nickname "Lorimer" at school for a while as, despite being generally useless, I did have the ability to strike the ball harder than anybody else. Problem was, with no net and just the 'jumpers for goalposts', if the keeper didn't save it, the ball would travel for miles and somebody would have to go and fetch it and often scramble under a hedge to retrieve it, so it wasn't a skill that made me particularly popular.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    I got to see him play at the end of his career when Leeds was our opening fixture after we'd got relegated out of the top flight in 1984.
    I'd earned myself the nickname "Lorimer" at school for a while as, despite being generally useless, I did have the ability to strike the ball harder than anybody else. Problem was, with no net and just the 'jumpers for goalposts', if the keeper didn't save it, the ball would travel for miles and somebody would have to go and fetch it and often scramble under a hedge to retrieve it, so it wasn't a skill that made me particularly popular.
    Haha. I think that was a common problem for all of us as junior Lorimer impersonators. It was great taking the shot but nobody wanted to fetch the ball afterwards.

Leeds have lost a few old players recently,
    Sprake, Hunter, Charlton, Cherry and now Lorimer with McQueen with dementia.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    Dont forget Paul Madeley and skipper Bremner both departed
    They were a great side, dirty but gifted.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelton View Post
    Dont forget Paul Madeley and skipper Bremner both departed
    They were a great side, dirty but gifted.
    Yes but they went a while ago but they have lost about 5 in the last 12 months

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    The lesser known Peter Hampton died last year as well (just 2 short of 100 apps for them 1972-1980 before moving to Stoke).
    Seems to be one or two every month now passing away who I once swapped as a panini football sticker.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast