+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More draws than any other Premiership team

More draws than any other Premiership team

Probably cost us top 6. if one of these draws was a win we would have been top 6.

However shows we are not far off being a top 6 club. Given the summer with COVID, uncertainty about what league we would be, no manager for part of it, we didn't strengthen our squad in the way we all felt it was needed. I am convinced if it had been a regular summer we would behave finished in the top 6.

MM deserves credit for taking us to a comfortably safe position in our first season back

Stating the obvious here but most Arabs would have grabbed the position we are in now at the start of the season. MM should now be very clear in his mind about the players he needs and the ones who aren't cut for this level (I feckin hope so).

At the outset I would have been happy. Seeing the quality of much of the opposition I really wanted more. As for covid, everyone had that so it certainly cannot be used as any kind of excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by geofoxposse View Post
    At the outset I would have been happy. Seeing the quality of much of the opposition I really wanted more. As for covid, everyone had that so it certainly cannot be used as any kind of excuse.
    Covid is not being used as an excuse but we were more impacted by it than any other Premiership club because they all had squad's that had been competing at a higher level than us and we were unable to do what most promoted clubs do ie bring in at least 4 or 5 players.
    Its worth remembering that our neighbours have signed more players than us including a former Scottish internationalist paid for by sponsors yet they are currently 4th in the Championship with 30 points out of a possible 60.
    That goes to show just how important it is to have a decent experienced manager and i would have bitten your hand off for 7th,8th or 9th this season and we will achieve it.

Quote Originally Posted by geofoxposse View Post
    We were a Championship team coming up to the Premiership that needed to strengthen for the step up. Covid isn't an excuse it is a commentary on the fact we weren't able to do so.

In contrast to other Covid hit Clubs, we additionally had to cope with the Bride Of Chucky’s legal nonsense which meant we were unable to plan fully for Premiership football until our promotion was absolutely confirmed. And secondly, the departure of the manager and particularly the timing of that departure had a major effect undoubtedly. Both of these events were not insignificant and unique to our particular situation in comparison to other Covid hit Premiership Clubs which conveyed a significant handicap on ourselves in comparison. Undoubtedly over the piece, taking all this into consideration the season should be viewed as successful.

And let not forget - there is still a Scottish Cup to play for.

I'd have bit your hand off just to avoid the bottom 2, we have drawn way too many, but let's be honest, how often over the season have we said after some of these draws/wins we have been lucky, so in about the right place this season. Surely the league cant be as bad next season, Hearts you have to expect will be an improvement on whoever goes down, so we need to improve squad, and hope we don't have a second season slump.

Playing 5 at the back, 2 holding mids and 3 strikers cost us top 6 IMO, those games were woeful, Mixu/Clown/McKinnon - esque

Then there were the games with Clark in midfield, Harkes on the weeng, Connolly flogging goals and just an overall lack of creativity from midfield that's stopped us being top 6, but aye, start of the season, i woulda bit yer hand aff for this position, we just didn't know how poor everyone would be with the huns as an exception. A'body else have flattered to deceive...

We missed out in top 6 by a point!! The start of the season had boys praying we had enough just to make 10th. It's been a great season all things considering. Next season is the big one. Time for Mellon to step up to the plate with 'hopefully' what will be his own team!!

There was a spell in that run when bad run when both Butcher and Fuchs were missing, I didn't think Butcher was great first half of season, but he has been pretty decent since returning. No coincidence defence tightened with Edwards/Reynolds, and we are losing less goals from set plays.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)