+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen Glass

Quote Originally Posted by mondo_notion View Post
    McInnes was here for 8 years, we need to give SG more than 8 games to prove himself. It's a project.
    Indeed, I can't see 'project Glass' lasting 8 years can you? It's the same dross as with the with his predecessor.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairdrier View Post
    Indeed, I can't see 'project Glass' lasting 8 years can you? It's the same dross as with the with his predecessor.
    The first rule of project Glass is…….

Quote Originally Posted by pieandbovrilman View Post
    The first rule of project Glass is…….
    To maintain that we are a work in progress, promising to deliver in style when all the pieces fall into place, sync up, harmonise, mesmerise and marmalise .... in the interim, proving the heavily proven 'right twice a day' unassailable record for a stopped clock.

Quote Originally Posted by NaeMairNeeps View Post
    the heavily proven 'right twice a day' unassailable record for a stopped clock.
    In these here digital days, and with the increasing prevalence of the usage of 24 hour clock times, maybe that’s just once a day in many circumstances. Pull yer socks up, Glasso.

Kind regards
    57vintage
    He
    NO VOCATIVE, although I mused yesterday that “Hemmin” may fulfill the requirements of the case
    Him
    His
    Him
    Him
    0549 hrs, or jist efter ten to six in the morning.

On Glass for me, it appears he is trying to get the players to adapt to modern football whereby you keep the ball on the ground, pass it along the back and backwards quite a lot (to keep the ball), and use overlapping full backs to cause overloads in certain areas (Partly why Ramsey and McKenzie have shone).

The downside to this is that for 90% of the team they are incapable of playing a fluid passing style where tempo, accuracy and 1/2 touch passing/movement is key. We are asking players who have spent the majority of their careers playing in a league where they have to do the following:

"Get it awa"
    "Doon e line"
    "Get it forward"
    "Nae backwards min"
    "Get it in e mixer"

ETC ETC ETC ETC

Our game is stuck in the dark ages, our fans for the most part are too. It's why Gerrard got a tune out of Rangers as he actually had them playing football last season that was in touch with the current game (why they did ok in Europe as well) but they had the resources to allow them to attempt that.

I'm seeing Glass compared to Cathro - I always hate the Cathro hate. Yes the guy had a mare, but he was under it from the media, fans and pundits from minute one because he was a young manager who didn't hit the ground running. Criticized and sabotaged by one of his own in Levein as well.

Levein then promptly took charge and got them relegated - yet he gets the gig on the radio telling us how football should be played to the fans, and Cathro is seen as some abject disaster.

Can see the same happening with Glass already, some fans mentioning the usual of Derek Adams and even Yogi Hughes - the football will be even more dross and just the classic hoofball we know and love.

It might not go right for Glass but he's got to be given the chance to attempt it. He's having to root and branch a McInnes side that were pure grinders for the last couple of years where it got top 3/4 but was horrific to watch. At least Glass is trying something, and it might fail miserably but give it a chance. What difference is 9th this year to 4th if it makes us better in the long term?

My biggest concern is the transfer activity and how much cohesion between Glass/Cormack in the squad creation - if you want to play a fluid passing style, I don't see how the likes of Jet and Ramirez come into this. Ramirez is basically an old school poacher who needs the ball put on a plate for him - but if it is he will take it. It doesn't really fit with a fluid style with movement up top, runners from deep, inside forwards etc.
    Last edited by Baggios_Ponytail; 21-09-2021 at 07:52 AM.

It's not just JET and Ramirez though is it, when it comes to transfer activity. How does signing Gallacher fit in with passing out from the back style? How does giving Devlin and McGinn new contracts fit in with a fluid style of football - it just smacks of poor judgement as does the signing of Gurr. Managers typically live or die by their transfer dealings (it caught up with McInnes eventually) and so far the jury is seriously out on Glass's transfer dealings - he certainly can't blame lack of backing from Cormack.

I am happy to give him more time to see if he can show any signs of improvement but given we are already 7th, it's not inconceivable given the run of games we have until the end of October we could be down in about 10th by then unless we start digging out some results

Quote Originally Posted by Red Zone View Post
    It's not just JET and Ramirez though is it, when it comes to transfer activity. How does signing Gallacher fit in with passing out from the back style? How does giving Devlin and McGinn new contracts fit in with a fluid style of football - it just smacks of poor judgement as does the signing of Gurr. Managers typically live or die by their transfer dealings (it caught up with McInnes eventually) and so far the jury is seriously out on Glass's transfer dealings - he certainly can't blame lack of backing from Cormack.

I am happy to give him more time to see if he can show any signs of improvement but given we are already 7th, it's not inconceivable given the run of games we have until the end of October we could be down in about 10th by then unless we start digging out some results
    Aye those were 2 examples but my overarching point is that the transfers don’t match the club mantra. Now is this purely down to Glass or is Cormack pushing some this and just bringing in players irrespective of how it affects the balance to massage his own ego?

As I said, as long as we didn’t go down this year, if I saw tangible progress in terms of how we play on the pitch (exciting, pacey, fluid etc) then I wouldn’t be calling for his head with the hope it makes us as a whole better in 2022/23 and beyond. However if it’s more of what we’ve seen come March/April and we also make strange January transfers then it’s all looking very messy.

^^^^^^^^^

This

I am for giving Glass a bit leeway by seeing how we get on against St.Mirren on Sunday. It will be interesting to see how he and his coaching group (that was meant) tries to rectify things. Doing the same things hoping for a bit of fortune doesn’t cut it….we need to be better prepared and a far better threat before anything else.

Glass claims, as reported today in the Evening Express, that the striking problem is an “easy fix”. Phew … I’m so glad of that, especially now that we have a great striking coach in place, but I am curious as to why he apparently gave up on the English National team in preference to us! All I ask is “when does the easy fix start?”, as we are well into the new season and we have scored something like 4 goals in eight games!? A few against St Mirren would be a good start!
    Last edited by Shetland Don; 22-09-2021 at 10:26 AM.

Page 20 of 36 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast