+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Moutinho...and others.

Moutinho...and others.

Of all the annoying trends in the modern game that turn me off the clutching of the face following any contact on or above the shoulders is probably the worst.

There were two incidents yesterday in the Portugal V Azerbaijan game that illustrated the good and the bad, unfortunately the bad involved one of our own.

At one point the ball bounced loose in the Azeri box and Ronaldo tried to launch a bicycle kick as the defender headed it away, [More on the bicycle kick later]. Ronaldo's foot brushed the side of the defenders head, the ball went over the bar and the ref gave a freekick. The defender gave Ronaldo a filthy look, rubbed the side of his head and that was it.

Not more than 60 seconds later Moutinho was out jumped by a defender on the half way line, the defenders knee brushed Moutinho on the rear of the shoulder, Moutinho promptly rolls around on the ground holding his face.

I know it goes on all the time but do we really need this from a Wolves player? It's just despicable to me.

Back to the bicycle kick. If Ronaldo had thrown himself into the air and kicked an opponent on the head in any other part of the field it would be a straight Red card, or should be. Why not in the penalty area? It's just as dangerous.

Rant over.

did not watch that game woody,
    but have to say it is a rite turn off watching ( on a regular basis) both moutinho and neves feigning serious injuries.
    If it were owt to do with me such conning would warrant a red card. one of the reasons I do not like footie at this level.

It’s gamesmanship, feign injury to get a player booked for persistent fouls or dangerous play and they’re under pressure for the rest of the game. A cynical way to gain an advantage but, sadly, it’s as much part of the game as diving in the box, tactical fouls on the half way line etc.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwolf View Post
    It’s gamesmanship, feign injury to get a player booked for persistent fouls or dangerous play and they’re under pressure for the rest of the game. A cynical way to gain an advantage but, sadly, it’s as much part of the game as diving in the box, tactical fouls on the half way line etc.
    Quite so Norton and until the game is run by proper, mature, grown-ups, which will probably be never, we will have to continue having this cheating foisted on us!

[QUOTE=Woking88;39740535]Quite so Norton and until the game is run by proper, mature, grown-ups, which will probably be never, we will have to continue having this cheating foisted on us![

For the sake of balance under Nuno we have the most successful team, playing the best football, in my lifetime. Moutinho is a huge part of that, I can live with the changes to our game he and others have brought to our league.

[QUOTE=nortonwolf;39741302]
    Quote Originally Posted by Woking88 View Post
    Quite so Norton and until the game is run by proper, mature, grown-ups, which will probably be never, we will have to continue having this cheating foisted on us![

For the sake of balance under Nuno we have the most successful team, playing the best football, in my lifetime. Moutinho is a huge part of that, I can live with the changes to our game he and others have brought to our league.
    I can't, not comfortably anyway. I watch and follow the Wolves almost out of habit now, habit based on tradition and the fact it is something I have always done, but do I enjoy it, do I still get that special feeling that comes with a good victory? Very, very rarely.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)