+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This season’s signings.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    To what extent are certain players "underperforming" because of the "quality" of the players they are playing with or maybe the tactics employed?

Let's look at Jozwiak for one. Started to get into his stride and was looking good when Bielik was in the side. Now he looks lost. As thers have said in other threads, language might be part of the cause. IMO he is certainly missing having Bielik around. He was looking better when we had that spell of playing om the front foot and pressing and harrying opponents instead of letting them do it to us. His slipping back has coincided with us going back to not doing those things. I still believe there's a good player in there.

Great goal against the Netherlands at the start of the season. Last night, 58 minutes in, Poland hadn't had a shot on target. On 59 minutes Joz was subbed on. With his first touch he crossed for their first goal. A minute later, with his 2nd touch he scored. 20 minutes later he was involved in a 1-2 that saw his return pass crossed in to Lewandowski to score.

He's also not helped by our opponents knowing he's good so, every time he gets possession he's double, triple and sometimes even quadruple teamed.

Add to that his having to spend much of his time back defending now we aren't on the front foot anymore and you have all the reasons he's not delivering for DCFC.
    Tactics,especially early season and the last few games, knocks marks off most players. Likewise random team selection especially in the Cocu era. But I assessed all based on actual performance not ifs and buts

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Tactics,especially early season and the last few games, knocks marks off most players. Likewise random team selection especially in the Cocu era. But I assessed all based on actual performance not ifs and buts
    I uderstood that when I read it Andy. It's just that some people just say "crap" without taking the entire picture into account. No player can do it on his own. With our current crop of players and the tactics utilised over the past 10 to 12 games, putting CR7 or Messi in would not help one iota.

As the person who started the thread and initially ‘scored’ our signings I was trying to be as objective as possible.
    The job of new signings is to improve the squad and we can come up with any amount of excuses for them failing to do that, but ultimately the players that make a difference...the likes of Igor Stimac, Ian Taylor and perhaps most spectacularly, Leon Osman, are the ones who come into struggling sides and bring players up to their level rather than allowing themselves to be dragged down to the existing one.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    I uderstood that when I read it Andy. It's just that some people just say "crap" without taking the entire picture into account. No player can do it on his own. With our current crop of players and the tactics utilised over the past 10 to 12 games, putting CR7 or Messi in would not help one iota.
    Understood, just thinking of Messi's body language trudging off after the Barnsley or Rotherham games!

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    As the person who started the thread and initially ‘scored’ our signings I was trying to be as objective as possible.
    The job of new signings is to improve the squad and we can come up with any amount of excuses for them failing to do that, but ultimately the players that make a difference...the likes of Igor Stimac, Ian Taylor and perhaps most spectacularly, Leon Osman, are the ones who come into struggling sides and bring players up to their level rather than allowing themselves to be dragged down to the existing one.
    yes good point although I think our situation this season was a bit more dire - someone eaelier suggested the selection of loanees should have favoured a 'time served' aspect, and (as usual) I'd add the short-run brilliance of McGrath to your list

yes good point although I think our situation this season was a bit more dire - someone eaelier suggested the selection of loanees should have favoured a 'time served' aspect, and (as usual) I'd add the short-run brilliance of McGrath to your list
    McGrath and Osman were the best short term signings I have ever seen for Derby.
    The difference was that while McGrath joined an already successful side and had bags of experience, Osman was an inexperienced youngster (in his early twenties I think) who joined a seriously struggling side in real danger of relegation. We wouldn’t have stayed up that year without him imo.

The difference was that while McGrath joined an already successful side and had bags of experience, Osman was an inexperienced youngster (in his early twenties I think) who joined a seriously struggling side in real danger of relegation. We wouldn’t have stayed up that year without him imo.
    Fair choice although I assess Bobby Davison as the highest impact. If his 92 loan spell had started 5 games earlier we’d have been promoted that year

Understood, just thinking of Messi's body language trudging off after the Barnsley or Rotherham games!
    Imagine his body language if we were short up front and Rooney dropped him, then questioned his commitment in training.

I would also add Taribo West as one of the best short term signings, only played 18 games, but helped save us from relegation.

Quote Originally Posted by wessoram View Post
    I would also add Taribo West as one of the best short term signings, only played 18 games, but helped save us from relegation.
    Charismatic and effective but clearly a journeyman

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)