+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Grand National 2021

I wouldn’t count myself as “the usual crowd” but making the jumps safer is a positive move. Anything that stops the death of so many horses and injuries to jockeys gets my approval. It hasn’t taken away the integrity, the fame or the excitement of this race. It’s still very gruelling.

F1 cars are safer than ever. You wouldn’t blame the “usual crowd” for the improvements you’d applaud the experts for saving lives.

There is too much sanitising of old school activities, sports, humour.

The grand national is a bad example to use as sanitising in a negative way.

Racehorses are born to race,if there was no racing altogether they wouldn”t be alive.

Also a racehorse can easily breakdown on the flat with no Obstacles at all... what do we do to appease people in that circumstance...not really a lot apart from banning the sport altogether...

The whip rule,jockeys only allowed a certain amount whips at certain points in the race...who is that going to appease and who exactly are we trying to appease anyway ...either you ban the whip altogether or leave it alone...

Anyone ever seen the Worlds Toughest horse race, which is the Velka Pardubocka, a
    famous cross-country steeplechase, run in Pardubice, every year over 4miles 506 yards,
    there are 31 obstacles with ploughed fields, running through woods, fences, water jumps,
    ( Water jumps used to be streams running through the fields, when a jockey fell off, he
    could find himself, up to the neck in water, but the water jumps have been altered now ).

Pardubice is in the Czech Republic, horses have to do qualifying races, to run in the race,
    one fence is the biggest in the world called the Great Taxis Ditch, there are 24 horses in the
    race, no horse has ever done the double of Velka Pardubicka & the English Grand National.

I watch the race every year, there are many English jockeys who have taken rides in the race,
    there was not a race last year 2020, I have just watched the 2019 race again on You Tube,
    the race is normally run in October.
    The course used to be 50% ploughed fields, but reduced it to around 25%, because the course
    was to much for the horses, which must be gruelling when the ploughed fields have rain water
    retained in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum-Triumphant View Post
    I wouldn’t count myself as “the usual crowd” but making the jumps safer is a positive move. Anything that stops the death of so many horses and injuries to jockeys gets my approval. It hasn’t taken away the integrity, the fame or the excitement of this race. It’s still very gruelling.

F1 cars are safer than ever. You wouldn’t blame the “usual crowd” for the improvements you’d applaud the experts for saving lives.

There is too much sanitising of old school activities, sports, humour.

The grand national is a bad example to use as sanitising in a negative way.
    But taking part isn’t compulsory is it?

Like any job. So take goggles away from welders or harnesses off scaffolders?

Makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum-Triumphant View Post
    Like any job. So take goggles away from welders or harnesses off scaffolders?

Makes no sense.
    Well fair enough, but in the end it just makes the Grand National like any other over jumps race.

What we have nowadays are groups of people undertaking online campaigns about games and pastimes they have no interest in. Be it heading the ball in football, the height of fences in racing, the environmental impact of angling, there’s hardly a game they don’t whinge about.

Quote Originally Posted by gru View Post
    Another thing jump racing it's changed. Depending on breeding line some horses peak earlier now & by time they are 8 yr olds are ready for retirement.
    If jumps horses stay fit gru, then they keep running them because, as far as I'm aware, all jumps horses have been gelded (Had their b******s chopped off) so have no value at stud. Generally if jumps horses are retired it is because they have picked up an injury or basically they are useless.

So why do incessantly whinge? You whinge about anything and everything. Do you have any interests in your life?

Quote Originally Posted by Geetarman View Post
    So why do incessantly whinge? You whinge about anything and everything. Do you have any interests in your life?
    Yes, music, so unlike you then

Love the National more than Cup Final.day nowadays..
    Not seen odds yet so I'll wait a week or so

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast