+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 119 of 164 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121129 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,190 of 1640

Thread: Summer Transfer Window (Stephen Glass’ first)

“Cheap” = cheaper than Ebbe, probably, even factoring in the costs of Shearer and Oshor Williams.

“Cheap” = working to foreskin-tight playing budget akin to, but still larger than that of the Masons, where he had relative success in getting the best from journeymen grafters and out-and-out thugs. Sheerin and Tosher cost about an aggregate £45k and did well. To **** with Leigh Hinds though.

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    “Cheap” = cheaper than Ebbe, probably, even factoring in the costs of Shearer and Oshor Williams.

“Cheap” = working to foreskin-tight playing budget akin to, but still larger than that of the Masons, where he had relative success in getting the best from journeymen grafters and out-and-out thugs. Sheerin and Tosher cost about an aggregate £45k and did well. To **** with Leigh Hinds though.
    Signing Leigh Hinds was sackable alone.

One or two of the signings have been half-decent, but none have been anywhere remotely near great. I feel that this will be reflected in the opening results, albeit that the first run of games should be easier than they could have been. Whatever anyone thinks of him, Brown will probably improve the midfield, at least for a short period before his legs go, and JET will score quite a few goals. As for the rest, it is really an unknown quantity to a large extent but I don’t see 15,000 season ticket sales anywhere on the horizon and I feel that Aberdeen will end up scrapping for third or fourth place again. Not very inspiring, despite the hype from the Chairman.

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    My memory’s not what it was.
    Couple that with an extreme shortage of memorable Aberdeen players over the past 30 years and it causes a problem.

I have no memory of Clark Robertson playing for the Dons at all.
    Despite a seive like memory similar to your own, I do remember one robust challenge from Mr Robertson near the corner flag at the South/ Merkland corner. If my memory is correct it was more memorable because he took out a hun in making the tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by Shetland Don View Post
    One or two of the signings have been half-decent, but none have been anywhere remotely near great. I feel that this will be reflected in the opening results, albeit that the first run of games should be easier than they could have been. Whatever anyone thinks of him, Brown will probably improve the midfield, at least for a short period before his legs go, and JET will score quite a few goals. As for the rest, it is really an unknown quantity to a large extent but I don’t see 15,000 season ticket sales anywhere on the horizon and I feel that Aberdeen will end up scrapping for third or fourth place again. Not very inspiring, despite the hype from the Chairman.
    We could sign the entire Italian squad and we wouldn't get 15k season tickets sold. The lack of home support up there is poor imo. It can't be about money and it can't be because we are ****e.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1983 View Post
    We could sign the entire Italian squad and we wouldn't get 15k season tickets sold. The lack of home support up there is poor imo. It can't be about money and it can't be because we are ****e.
    I've said this before but it appears I have to say it again:

In 1971 Aberdeen had a population of 182,000. Today it is around 250,000. A similar increase has been experienced in Aberdeenshire. This increase comes from Scotland, rest of UK, EU & rest of the world, mainly led by the oil industry. Those incoming do not have a connection with the north east nor Aberdeen Football Club.

It takes time for the club to generate a support from this new population particularly given the 'support your dad's club' tendency.

I think the club are now actively pursuing tempting some of those kids or grandkids in the area from these incomers to become Dons fans.

Further, generally the City has had a traditionally 'white collar' workforce, working in education and research whilst many of the new jobs generated over the past 50 years has been professional and managerial. These sections of society's workforce are not the usual source of football supporters.

I hope this helps you understand why the average attendance is not as high per population as might have been expected.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofrgmsdad View Post
    I've said this before but it appears I have to say it again:

In 1971 Aberdeen had a population of 182,000. Today it is around 250,000. A similar increase has been experienced in Aberdeenshire. This increase comes from Scotland, rest of UK, EU & rest of the world, mainly led by the oil industry. Those incoming do not have a connection with the north east nor Aberdeen Football Club.

It takes time for the club to generate a support from this new population particularly given the 'support your dad's club' tendency.

I think the club are now actively pursuing tempting some of those kids or grandkids in the area from these incomers to become Dons fans.

Further, generally the City has had a traditionally 'white collar' workforce, working in education and research whilst many of the new jobs generated over the past 50 years has been professional and managerial. These sections of society's workforce are not the usual source of football supporters.

I hope this helps you understand why the average attendance is not as high per population as might have been expected.
    Full of huns more like.

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    i think that the first inklings were the regular reports of his hushed-up unprofessional saturday night activities in inverness and fochabers, including reported temporary overnight incarceration, when he was managing the masons.

His unsuitabilty was common knowledge apart from inside the pittodrie boardroom, it seems, and due diligence in exposing his unfortunate gambling and booze issues wasn’t completed. Or maybe he was the cheap option.
    dinna.......get........me ..............started ........

Cormack aka Con"mack is a lying prick. Hes so dodgy! I'd happily be proved wrong, but I've had my suspicions since he came in. Even more so now. Rich Tory ****.

Btw I'm nae SNP either sturgin bugs me

W
    See well there you go. You've proved he's dodgy ,.com man, lying prick,all in one line B b your suspicions either proves it or you've just typed a load of ****. And your not even an AMP supporter. I thought folk in the jubilee couldn't vote anyway. .............wise up min

Page 119 of 164 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121129 ... LastLast