+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 16 of 164 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer Transfer Window (Stephen Glass’ first)

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    I hope not.
    Glass has already said he has 2 or 3 ideas of who will be captain next season so I presume Brown will be one of them.

To be honest I would rather have him as captain than Joe Lewis.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldo1983 View Post
    It doesn't matter if he's officially captain. He'll be calling the shots on the park. He's player/coach as well.

It's the ideal solution. That way you don't demoralise and embarrass Lewis.
    The only person that has caused embarrassment to Lewis was McInnes by giving him the captaincy in the first place , good keeper on his day but never a leader in a million years.
    We can’t carry on with him as captain, he’s not cut out for that if we want to move forward and win trophies.

Quote Originally Posted by pieandbovrilman View Post
    The only person that has caused embarrassment to Lewis was McInnes by giving him the captaincy in the first place , good keeper on his day but never a leader in a million years.
    We can’t carry on with him as captain, he’s not cut out for that if we want to move forward and win trophies.
    I agree with you that Lewis should never have been made captain but just out of interest who would you have made captain when Shinnie left?

I thought at the time the whole point in signing Bryson was for him to be the new captain but we all know how that turned out.

I can’t really think of many more leaders in the team, maybe Ferguson if he wasn’t so young.

They’re kids until they’re 29 nowadays are they?

Martin Buchan did a’right

Quote Originally Posted by rico94 View Post
    I agree with you that Lewis should never have been made captain but just out of interest who would you have made captain when Shinnie left?

I thought at the time the whole point in signing Bryson was for him to be the new captain but we all know how that turned out.

I can’t really think of many more leaders in the team, maybe Ferguson if he wasn’t so young.
    I agree that Bryson was signed to replace Shinnie and we expected him to be made captain, wasn’t he captain at Derby?

McInnes used to have quite a good policy of signing “lesser” team’s captains and for the most part it worked but the last few seasons we’ve had a real shortage of leaders .

There wasn’t many other options when Lewis was made captain but I still would’ve tried to give it to an outfield player. Lewis Ferguson was probably a bit young at the time so maybe Considine might’ve been an option. Not ideal but might’ve done the job for a season or two better than Lewis has done .

Brown will likely be captain and will likely play most games. If we play 442 or 4411 similar to Saturday, then that means only really one other central midfield position up for grabs. So we currently have Ferguson, McCrorie, Campbell, McGeouch and Virtanen battling for 1 position.

I guess you really need 4 players to cover the 2 central midfield positions, and could maybe have an extra youngster as further cover. If Virtanen is the youngster, then that still means one of the others will likely leave. I reckon Campbell will stay as he's still developing, probably not getting paid that much, and is well thought of at the club. McCrorie will stay as he's versatile and not long joined.

So for me, it's between McGeouch and Ferguson as to who will leave. If we get a decent bid for Ferguson i think he'll go, but I wouldn't be surprised if McGeouch is shipped out anyway. Perhaps the new manager will have another central midfielder in mind to bring in too.

I don’t think Brown will be captain next season and it would be a mistake if he is. As someone said earlier he doesn’t need to be captain to be a presence on the pitch. It depends who’s still in the squad next season but my money would be on Ferguson if he’s here.

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_End_Bob View Post
    I don’t think Brown will be captain next season and it would be a mistake if he is. As someone said earlier he doesn’t need to be captain to be a presence on the pitch. It depends who’s still in the squad next season but my money would be on Ferguson if he’s here.
    I was keen for Ferguson to get the captaincy last season rather than Lewis, but I'm actually struggling to remember the last time Ferguson did anything of note in a game? I can't really think of the last time he scored, the last time he set up a goal, the last time he put in a crunching tackle or played a killer pass, and I definitely can't think of the last time he actually took a game by the scruff of the neck and ran the show.

I was expecting Ferguson to progress this season and really emerge as a player worth £4-5 million and be knocking on the door of the Scotland squad. For me he's been one of the biggest disappointments this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Corleone View Post
    I was keen for Ferguson to get the captaincy last season rather than Lewis, but I'm actually struggling to remember the last time Ferguson did anything of note in a game? I can't really think of the last time he scored, the last time he set up a goal, the last time he put in a crunching tackle or played a killer pass, and I definitely can't think of the last time he actually took a game by the scruff of the neck and ran the show.

I was expecting Ferguson to progress this season and really emerge as a player worth £4-5 million and be knocking on the door of the Scotland squad. For me he's been one of the biggest disappointments this season.
    I would expect this upcoming season to be a big one in terms of Lewis Ferguson’s future with us.

Hopefully he will benefit from having Scott Brown alongside him and in training but also with fresh ideas from the nee management team we might just see the player we hoped he’d become from his early days here .

I’d expect the plan would be to try and get a good season out of him this year and then sell him on for a similar price tag to McKenna.

Quote Originally Posted by pieandbovrilman View Post
    I would expect this upcoming season to be a big one in terms of Lewis Ferguson’s future with us.

Hopefully he will benefit from having Scott Brown alongside him and in training but also with fresh ideas from the nee management team we might just see the player we hoped he’d become from his early days here .

I’d expect the plan would be to try and get a good season out of him this year and then sell him on for a similar price tag to McKenna.
    Hope you're right - I agree that looking back to previous seasons he's shown great potential, but if you were to look at this season in isolation he looks a very average player, not the kind of guy you're thinking could go and play in the EPL which is what everyone was suggesting before.

He did have a few good games alongside McCrorie when he had Watkins, Wright and Hedges in front of him - i suppose then he could concentrate on winning the ball and just getting it to those guys, and then get up in support. Since that front 3 disbanded he (and McCrorie) have looked very average, probably just because they've had nobody with any creativity or ability to play forward to. Although he wasn't particularly great on Saturday, it was good to see Ferguson making runs into the box a lot more often when we were attacking from wide areas. I just hope Glass doesn't do what McInnes did and try to play him as the no10 type midfielder with Brown and McCrorie or Campbell behind him. That led to some of the most turgid, eye bleeding football of the McInnes era, because the boy just isn't a creative attacking midfielder.

Page 16 of 164 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast