+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 17 of 164 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Thread: Summer Transfer Window (Stephen Glass’ first)

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Corleone View Post
    I was keen for Ferguson to get the captaincy last season rather than Lewis, but I'm actually struggling to remember the last time Ferguson did anything of note in a game? I can't really think of the last time he scored, the last time he set up a goal, the last time he put in a crunching tackle or played a killer pass, and I definitely can't think of the last time he actually took a game by the scruff of the neck and ran the show.

I was expecting Ferguson to progress this season and really emerge as a player worth £4-5 million and be knocking on the door of the Scotland squad. For me he's been one of the biggest disappointments this season.
    Can’t argue with any of that really. Hopefully he gets a boost from the new management team coming in but maybe the new captain hasn’t been signed yet. Whichever positions Glass et al. are targeting signings for I would guess they are definitely looking to bring in players with a bit of character. We definitely need it. Other than Ferguson, or maybe Considine at a push, who do we have that’s captain material?

As I remember, Conso was given the captaincy in 2012, but deferred to Russell Anderson on the latter’s return from the badlands.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/16568858

I doubt that he’ll be under consideration by Glass given his age, and the likelihood that his appearances may be more limited as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_End_Bob View Post
    Other than Ferguson, or maybe Considine at a push, who do we have that’s captain material?
    McGeough maybe? But he can't even get in the team. Possibly McCrorie at a stretch?

In other words, I agree, there's no real obvious leaders in the team. I wouldn't want Considine because I don't want him guaranteed a starting berth every week.

If the plan is to play Brown week in, week out, then he'd be the choice for me, controversial as that might be. If not, then Ferguson in the hope that he kicks on again in the period ahead. I like the idea of him doing another year before selling him. I think he started this season well, and we all seem to be forgetting that he's still the team's top goalscorer for the season with 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Julio View Post
    McGeough maybe? But he can't even get in the team. Possibly McCrorie at a stretch?

In other words, I agree, there's no real obvious leaders in the team. I wouldn't want Considine because I don't want him guaranteed a starting berth every week.

If the plan is to play Brown week in, week out, then he'd be the choice for me, controversial as that might be. If not, then Ferguson in the hope that he kicks on again in the period ahead. I like the idea of him doing another year before selling him. I think he started this season well, and we all seem to be forgetting that he's still the team's top goalscorer for the season with 9.
    Most of them were penalties (yes I know they count the same as other goals, but need to take it into account when you're looking at a player's tally). Like I said earlier, I think he had a good little patch at the start of the season when he had Wright, Hedges and Watkins that he could pass forward to in pockets of space. Since then it's either, sideways, backwards or hopeful punt forward to the opposition team from Ferguson. Hopefully he'll get back on track though.

McCrorie is Scotland U21 captain so he must have some leadership skills. He's been similar to Ferguson though. Considine is a candidate, but only because he's got so much experience and because he's an Aberdeen fan himself. That counts for something BUT his experience is mainly in not winning things. Brown is the only one who ticks the boxes for me - the downside is he's just new into the dressing room but I guess there'll be quite a big turnover in the squad in the summer anyway so it'll be almost like a new team (hopefully!)

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    As I remember, Conso was given the captaincy in 2012, but deferred to Russell Anderson on the latter’s return from the badlands.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/16568858

I doubt that he’ll be under consideration by Glass given his age, and the likelihood that his appearances may be more limited as a result.
    I do remember Considine being captain briefly in the Pa Broon days if I recall correctly.

The Boogie man winna be considered this time round but he might’ve been worth a punt 2 years ago when Shinnie left and we decided to give it to our “all round nice guy” keeper.

No offence to Joe , good keeper , but never a captain .

Nine years on and Considine is still spouting the same pish to the media as he was then .....never learned to be quiet a d do his talking on the pitch .

Quote Originally Posted by pieandbovrilman View Post
    I do remember Considine being captain briefly in the Pa Broon days if I recall correctly.

The Boogie man winna be considered this time round but he might’ve been worth a punt 2 years ago when Shinnie left and we decided to give it to our “all round nice guy” keeper.

No offence to Joe , good keeper , but never a captain .
    I think that giving Lewis the gig was a way of keeping him on our books at the end of his first contract, on the assumption that the captaincy attracts some sort of additional monetary bonus.

Bryson was the obvious choice as an outfield leader, and I think he would have been given that rôle had his musculo-skeletal structure not gone beyond the Cataloy, spot-weld and UHU-maintenance stage, with Joe as a sort of ambassadorial club captain.

When I fact-checked my Conso hunch, I was reminded that he took over from that hun **** Foster. FFS.

There was never any excuse for that.
    The nearest I ever came to actually fighting with fellow dons fans in the South Stand for me booing the b’astard in his first game back.

Imagine an Aberdeen team next season with Scott Brown in midfield and Leigh Griffiths partnering Kyle Lafferty up front. A team full of horrible angry nutters, but one that can actually score goals

Quote Originally Posted by Don_Corleone View Post
    Imagine an Aberdeen team next season with Scott Brown in midfield and Leigh Griffiths partnering Kyle Lafferty up front. A team full of horrible angry nutters, but one that can actually score goals
    Fortunately Griffiths isn't happening

Page 17 of 164 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast