+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Why the Reedz bothers will fail.

Club shop by Wednesday hopefully.

I'm delighted to report they are rose coloured too.

We must have patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    It's just a prediction, and eventually Biker9999 will be proved right or wrong. I really hope he's wrong, but I can remember in the first season of Ray Trew and Alan Hardy the majority view was that they are great owners and we are lucky that they came along. I still think the Reedtz brothers will prove be different, but it's far from guaranteed.
    I'll be the first to hold up my hand and say I supported Ray Trew and Alan Hardy for a long time, and even with the benefit of hindsight I still believe their intentions were genuine, at least until things went wrong and the relationship with the supporters soured.

However, I believe the reasons for the (ultimate) failure of Trew and Hardy are precisely what mark them out as being different from the Reedtz brothers. Trew and Hardy both made emotional, short-term decisions driven to quite an extent by the reactions of supporters on forums like this. They both had sizeable egos (not a criticism, just their nature) and they were, without doubt, swayed by short-term criticism and results. They changed strategies (and managers) many times.

The Reedtz brothers are totally different personalities. They clearly have no desire to be the "centre of the story" and have far cooler, more rational temperaments. They are analytical, patient and long-term thinkers whose approach is more scientific rather than emotional. They stay at least one step removed from the day-to-day mood swings inside and outside the club and have the good sense to stay well clear of social media forums like this where hyperbole rules and every moment is a triumph or a disaster. They also seem to have, as far as we can reasonably tell, sufficient resources to underwrite a patient, long-term approach.

Nobody can guarantee success, and as fans we will always be angered by results such as yesterday's inexcusable defeat, but after many years of Notts County FC being run like a boom/bust rollercoaster, the current calmness off the field is a relief. It means we are ONLY having to worry about results on the pitch, compared with recent years when the drama in the boardroom, the courtroom, and in Alan Hardy's bath seemed to attract even more attention than our gradual decline on the pitch.

The current owners are probably not ones to bring dramatic, overnight success, but they seem to have the right characteristics to put in place firm foundations on which we can gradually build.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I'll be the first to hold up my hand and say I supported Ray Trew and Alan Hardy for a long time, and even with the benefit of hindsight I still believe their intentions were genuine, at least until things went wrong and the relationship with the supporters soured.

However, I believe the reasons for the (ultimate) failure of Trew and Hardy are precisely what mark them out as being different from the Reedtz brothers. Trew and Hardy both made emotional, short-term decisions driven to quite an extent by the reactions of supporters on forums like this. They both had sizeable egos (not a criticism, just their nature) and they were, without doubt, swayed by short-term criticism and results. They changed strategies (and managers) many times.

The Reedtz brothers are totally different personalities. They clearly have no desire to be the "centre of the story" and have far cooler, more rational temperaments. They are analytical, patient and long-term thinkers whose approach is more scientific rather than emotional. They stay at least one step removed from the day-to-day mood swings inside and outside the club and have the good sense to stay well clear of social media forums like this where hyperbole rules and every moment is a triumph or a disaster. They also seem to have, as far as we can reasonably tell, sufficient resources to underwrite a patient, long-term approach.

Nobody can guarantee success, and as fans we will always be angered by results such as yesterday's inexcusable defeat, but after many years of Notts County FC being run like a boom/bust rollercoaster, the current calmness off the field is a relief. It means we are ONLY having to worry about results on the pitch, compared with recent years when the drama in the boardroom, the courtroom, and in Alan Hardy's bath seemed to attract even more attention than our gradual decline on the pitch.

The current owners are probably not ones to bring dramatic, overnight success, but they seem to have the right characteristics to put in place firm foundations on which we can gradually build.
    Excellent post, jackal.

*Puts pitchfork back in its sheath*

And this is why jackal version 2 is one of the very best posters on NCM.

Agree with every single word and sums up my feelings about our current owners. They are a mystery due in part to their lack of exposure (pardon the pun) on social media and overall reluctant to needlessly speak. We have to fill in the gaps when it comes to their actual wealth, the role of Football Radar and to what extent etc.

However what gives me huge confidence is their obvious long term plan and even moreso they appear to be the complete opposite of the boom/bust rollercoaster attention seeking media loving ego owners with a short term plan only, mentioned above.

That should give us all hope, as generally you need to get it right off the field before you can get it right on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    Steve Cotterill couldnt motivate this bunch of dead beats. Whatever the outcome this season, most of this lot will not be here next season..
    This. He's not got much to work with at present. People saying he should go in and rollick the players aren't really being realistic when we're still trying to get into the playoffs. I'm sure if we had nothing to play for he could dispense with their services abit quicker but he wants to rebuild his side in league 2 not national league. As for the Reedtz, jesus give them chance until they clear out the remnants of Hardy etc then again cannot judge.

Brainless post

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    Steve Cotterill couldnt motivate this bunch of dead beats. Whatever the outcome this season, most of this lot will not be here next season..
    The trouble is that every manager the club brings in inherits, what the fans perceive as, a pile of dross. There is something very odd about Notts County. If the new manager starts a clear out again and buys all HIS players, where will it end?

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post

I like this a lot !
    and in the words of Spandau Ballet - TRUE !

I don't see this at all. If you had these guys in charge during the relegation season there's no way we'd have gone down. We sacked two managers with no replacement lined up... based on that ridiculous unforced and repeated error alone, I would have expected the Reedtz brothers to get us a better result.

In the two seasons they have been in charge we've done well in the league we're stuck in. Yes, we hate being in this league, but if we were in any higher league we'd all (I hope?) be very happy to be in the playoffs in consecutive years. Any other league that'd be seen as evidence that the owners have a good strategy and that it's succeeding.

When we were relegated, supporters of other clubs who had been relegated to and later promoted from the National League all said the same things to us. It's a really hard league to get out of. Don't expect to just bounce back. Almost nobody ever does.

The press conference they did the other day was one of the most reassuring things I've ever seen come out of Notts County. Their answers showed they understand the game very well and gave me a ton of confidence. When asked if the goal was promotion this season, Alex's response was one of the least stupid things I've ever heard come out the mouth of anyone involved in football

It was something like "No. You can't set a goal like that because there are too many random factors in play. What we can do is ensure, strategically, that we're in the best position to roll all of those dice and have the best chance of getting the result we want. To that end, it's our job as owners to ensure the club has the best facilities, players, and staff. Of course we want promotion. But we don't control that. We have to focus on what we do control."

That long term, strategic thinking is the main thing Notts has been lacking for at least the past decade.

Yeah, sacking Ardley was a big move. But they appear to have done it for the only reason you ever want to sack manager - they were very confident they had a better one lined up to replace him.

I don't believe yesterday's debacle says anything at all about Birchnall's qualities - although it probably does say an awful lot about Ardley's legacy.
    Do we have a rotten bunch of players who will never be motivated? I pray not ... and I really don't believe that.

But is a genius coach who has succeeded in the upper echelons of European football what we really need to get us out of the National League? I have everything crossed in ways that I wouldn't have if we'd appointed someone with a pedigree in British lower league football. Does IB have the kind of personality that will inspire players to sweat blood for him? Again I really hope so but I'm worried.

Final worry (and I have a stack of them this weekend). How much does it really hurt the Reedtz brothers that we have just experienced our worst result in a massively long history. I feel sick - do they?
    My concern is that they don't have emotional skin in the game - plenty of financial skin of course - but do they know how dreadful most Notts fans I know feel right now - and does how we feel really matter to them?

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast