+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Expectations for 2021/22 Season

Expectations for 2021/22 Season

Ok he’s just in the door and we’re nae sure what his team will look like yet but what should we expect from Stephen Glass in his first season?

What would be seen as an acceptable first season , undoubtedly a fair bit of recruitment to be done , should we be expecting a 3rd place finish and a cup win like McInnes achieved in his first season ?

We are all expecting a better , more exciting “brand” of football on the pitch but will we also expect instant results ?

Four trophies will do, but only if we are entertaining to watch .

Quote Originally Posted by pieandbovrilman View Post
    Ok he’s just in the door and we’re nae sure what his team will look like yet but what should we expect from Stephen Glass in his first season?

What would be seen as an acceptable first season , undoubtedly a fair bit of recruitment to be done , should we be expecting a 3rd place finish and a cup win like McInnes achieved in his first season ?

We are all expecting a better , more exciting “brand” of football on the pitch but will we also expect instant results ?
    A goal for us by one of our strikers.

One trophy in the last 7 years at a time when there was really only 1 team to beat for most of that time and 1 goal in the last 10 games means the bar really hasn’t been set that high.

I’ll be happy with an attacking set up and mindset in games for a start.

I think the amount of funds made available by Cormack in the summer will have a large bearing on the expectations thereafter.

3rd place and a cup final in his first season would be hard to moan about in my opinion given we have no idea what the squad will look like at the moment.

*Brown is a c unt

Expecting: Bitter disappointment, recriminations and pitchforks out.

Hoping: a massive gamble that pays off and then some.

This season is a freebie, as long as we see some kind of plan being developed. If I see that along with Jack & Wright being wiped out, I’ll be fairly happy

No trophies, but playing football like Billy McNeill's team did would be a massive step forward.

Disappointing perhaps, as we trudge away from Hampden but a massive step forward nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Donanddusted View Post
    A goal for us by one of our strikers.
    A goal for us from anyone would be a step forward.

First season - at least one if not both cup finals and no lower than 2nd in the league.
    Second season - domestic treble.

COYR

Quote Originally Posted by blowupsheep View Post
    A goal for us from anyone would be a step forward.

First season - at least one if not both cup finals and no lower than 2nd in the league.
    Second season - domestic treble.

COYR
    I think that’s fairly realistic .

I think this new Europa conference league or fitever it’s called will be the priority.
    Cormack will be wanting us to be in the group stages of that by 2022 if we can’t make the groups of the Europa.

Personally, a trophy win is my preference so win the Scottish cup and 3rd or 4th in the league will be a pass mark for me .

A lot of it has been said already but my tuppenceworth

1. Playing attractive attack minded football that makes me feel as though I want to go watch us play rather than it being a chore as it has been the last couple of seasons
    2. Make signings that give us a balanced squad rather than just signing centre backs and defensive midfielders
    3. Give younger players a genuine chance to prove if they can be first team players rather than just 5 minutes at the end of the game
    4. Try to score a second goal after we go one up rather than game manage for last 30/45/60/75 minutes
    5. Have a real go at celtic/sevco and try to beat them rather than park the bus and accept a meek 1-0/2-0 defeat. If we get a doing with this approach so be it, at least we will have tried
    6. Try to sign young Scottish talent like Ferguson/McCrorie even if it is £300,000 a pop, rather than some no-name from English Division 1/2. Some will not work out but hopefully most will. And yes even if they are celtic/sevco cast-offs.
    7. Don't be afraid to sell our best players if they won't sign another contract with a year to go - the important thing is to have a conveyor belt of young players or signings to replace them
    8. Minimise loan players unless they are automatic first team players, most likely younger players from English Premiership e.g. Danny Ward/James Madison type player

The rest of Scottish football is as poor as I can remember so no reason we can't win the large majority of our games even if we are in a transition year. I have said for a long time we should be capable of and aiming to get 80 points a season mainly by being flat track bullies but also by taking more points from celtic/sevco. That won't get close to winning the league in a year when sevco get the points total like this year but we have to be positioned to take advantage when celtic/sevco have an off year like celtic this year.

For the cups next season we should be capable of winning any game we play and certainly no more St Mirren type defeats. With a bit of luck of the draw we are more than capable of winning a trophy next season and see point 5 above if we end up playing celtic/sevco at Hampden.

Europe may catch us out next season given they will be our first games with a bunch of new players so I can live with an early exit as long as there is a clear approach as to how we will qualify for the Group stages in future seasons.

Overall I just want to be able to look forward to going to the football and enjoying it, but as Mason said above I can live with a few disappointments next season if we are heading in the right direction with a clear approach on how we are going to win trophies in the future on a sustained basis rather than just aimlessly signing journeymen/injured defensive players on a hit and hope basis as per the last couple of seasons.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast