+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another new Calmac ferry shambles

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    I agree that the typical Dundee fan may not care about the car ferry to islay but I may want to go there someday and time spent in understanding the vagaries of the service may be helpful. I would have thought that the topic title was specific enough to ensure that only those who like the posts by Islaydarkblue on this topic will open the topic.
    You're right of course about the title of the thread. However this is a public forum for discussion of DFC related topics so really there's no justification for the thread to be started. Once started though I feel it's fair game to be read and commented upon.

If you ever need to use the ferry you'll probably go on the Calmac website where you can book your trip and it'll tell you there the name of the ships that run the route. That's pretty much all you need or want to know as a casual tripper in all honesty because its draft, capacity, width, length, speed, hold capacity and number of cars that can wait in the car park will not matter to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    You're right of course about the title of the thread. However this is a public forum for discussion of DFC related topics so really there's no justification for the thread to be started. Once started though I feel it's fair game to be read and commented upon.

If you ever need to use the ferry you'll probably go on the Calmac website where you can book your trip and it'll tell you there the name of the ships that run the route. That's pretty much all you need or want to know as a casual tripper in all honesty because its draft, capacity, width, length, speed, hold capacity and number of cars that can wait in the car park will not matter to you.
    So can we assume there will be no more threads started by you about coronavirus,letters or captain Tom?

Quote Originally Posted by grantzer View Post
    So can we assume there will be no more threads started by you about coronavirus,letters or captain Tom?
    EXACTLY. There has always been the Off Topic thread and I am against limiting the type of topics than can be discussed. The corona virus threads have been interesting, and the discussion about the merits of independence seem to me to be helpful.

EXACTLY. There has always been the Off Topic thread and I am against limiting the type of topics than can be discussed. The corona virus threads have been interesting, and the discussion about the merits of independence seem to me to be helpful.
    Thing is though that certain subjects like for example Covid-19, unsolicited political propaganda and the declaring of an old codger as some kind of superhero are more relevant and newsworthy to someone living in Dundee than the design of a proposed replacement ferry that will serve a remote island that the majority of Dundonians might visit once or twice in their lifetimes. Now, if that ferry was going over the Tay from Dundee to Fife it would be a different story.

I've no issue with off topic posts and did say that once a topic was posted it's open for reading and commenting by anyone, that includes posts about Covid, an old codger or political bumph dropped through your letter box.

Only issue I have is with the two blatant trolls that prowl this board, fortunately I now have them both firmly 'on ignore'.

Thing is though that certain subjects like for example Covid-19, unsolicited political propaganda and the declaring of an old codger as some kind of superhero are more relevant and newsworthy to someone living in Dundee than the design of a proposed replacement ferry that will serve a remote island that the majority of Dundonians might visit once or twice in their lifetimes. Now, if that ferry was going over the Tay from Dundee to Fife it would be a different story.

I've no issue with off topic posts and did say that once a topic was posted it's open for reading and commenting by anyone, that includes posts about Covid, an old codger or political bumph dropped through your letter box.

Only issue I have is with the two blatant trolls that prowl this board, fortunately I now have them both firmly 'on ignore'.
    So off topic as long as you are ok with it then? Or dfc related topics like you told Islay??

And I can tell you that 100% I am as interested in calmac ferries as I am in people posting about their mail,their ludicrous opinions on coronavirus,or what they think of a man who walked around his garden.

You might change your tune if the management of Calmac are appointed to run Scotrail from 2022 onwards.
    It will be a shambles.

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    You might change your tune if the management of Calmac are appointed to run Scotrail from 2022 onwards.
    It will be a shambles.
    At which point the running of Scotrail would be more relevant to someone living in Dundee and looking to travel to Aberdeen, Glasgow, Edinburgh or beyond by train.

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    It will be a shambles.
    Watching this space with interest. Was there not a period where the East Coast franchise was operated by Holyrood when a franchise failed and handed it back? Just asking?

Watching this space with interest. Was there not a period where the East Coast franchise was operated by Holyrood when a franchise failed and handed it back? Just asking?
    It was operated by the U.K. government.
    The Scottish Government are only responsible for Scotrail who only run train journeys within Scotland.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)