+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greatest player of the Ashley era

Greatest player of the Ashley era

Among the many negatives, there have been a few positives over the years - in the Ashley era, but not because of anything Ashley did to deserve it...

Who has been your favourite player of the past 14-ish years? Greatness can be defined in many ways, eg. leadership, technical ability, goals, dedication, haircut, etc.

For me, it's got to be Yohan Cabaye, but there are quite a few to choose from when looking back.

Coloccini was also in my mind.

I loved to see Colo play too but I'd go for BenArfa but, that's provided that it was a day he could be bothered and was on song at the same time.

Coloccini hands down. Most consistent performer and for years.

Made it into Official Premier League Team of the Season. When was the last time a Newcastle United player did that? Had to be Alan Shearer.

Ben Arfa was a favourite of mine too. Great player on his day.

Aye, I'm with you, Hughie...probably Cabaye.

I'd put Jonas in there, too....not that he was our greatest player per se but his spirit and the way his story here unfolded. Scoring that goal against West Ham and cupping his ears to fasto was amazing but one of the highlights of my Newcastle-supporting life was the build up to and then the moment he came on against Man U in his comeback game.

Spine-tingling and one of the most moving things I've ever seen in any sporting context.

I think for the team and club - Collo.

I think for the fans - Ben Arfa.

For me personally - Jonas.

Ben Arfa

Ba

Cabaye

Cisse (1/2 a season)

Danny Simpson - Club thought he wasn't good enough for a new contract - moves to Leicester and wins the premier league.

Classic NUFC

Got to be Cabaye. Should be Ben Arfa but never reached his pull potential. Maybe not even half of it to be honest.

Yep-if Ben Arfa played to even half of his potential, he wouldn't have been playing for us.

Mind, even as I was typing that, I found myself thinking that maybe, if you look at 'potential' as a combination of ability and attitude (effort, application, etc) then perhaps he did actually reach his potential, or close to it. He had incredible skill but that's only part of the package when you look at how far he could have gone.

Colo for me....what a player!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)