+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wise Sayings of Ian Burchnall - Between the Lines

The Wise Sayings of Ian Burchnall - Between the Lines

From the post Aldershot interview:

Vulnerable to early setback = lack of mental strength
    Failure in last third = no penetration
    Need to get the ball in the box quicker = don't get close then pass backwards
    Need speed, tempo, get the ball forwards quicker = my style is not the slow game
    Don't know if players are suited to the possession game = I must make a more effective style/approach
    Concerned that Aldershot had real athleticism = realises we do not have real athleticism
    Need to be more aggressive in the last third = we are passive in the last third
    Lack of confidence = lack of mental strength
    Players attitude good but lots to improve = I have to work with this group so won't slag them off but LOTS to improve

Let's give this man a chance I say.

I agree, he needs to be diplomatic to some extent at the moment and it'll take awhile for him to get his own team in but when he does I think we'll do well.

Quote Originally Posted by wiseoldmagpie View Post

Vulnerable to early setback = cr@p defence
    Failure in last third = cr@p attack
    Need to get the ball in the box quicker = cr@p midfield
    Need speed, tempo, get the ball forwards quicker = cr@p player recruitment
    Don't know if players are suited to the possession game = cr@p manager
    Concerned that Aldershot had real athleticism = cr@p training methods
    Need to be more aggressive in the last third = crap tactics
    Lack of confidence = cr@p players
    Players attitude good but lots to improve = cr@p liar

Agreed:

We can but hope.

Need speed, tempo, get the ball forwards quicker = my style is not the slow game
    Don't know if players are suited to the possession game = I must make a more effective style/approach
    Concerned that Aldershot had real athleticism = realises we do not have real athleticism
    Players attitude good but lots to improve = I have to work with this group so won't slag them off but LOTS to improve

Thanks, enjoyed reading that. I fear we're going to hear a few more of these in the weeks ahead.

I do hope he's also now realised that 4-3-3 is not the formation to opt for with these players.

Absolutely agree. If it's one thing the last two diabolical performances have done it's certainly let Ian Burchnall learn very quickly and see what is right and wrong with this squad.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    Thanks, enjoyed reading that. I fear we're going to hear a few more of these in the weeks ahead.

I do hope he's also now realised that 4-3-3 is not the formation to opt for with these players.
    Hope he's realised Reeves is ****e

Quote Originally Posted by Glad2BeAPie View Post
    Hope he's realised Reeves is ****e
    The man has has immediately seen our problem i.e. lack of pace and imagination in midfield. I don’t think he’s just picked a name at random or he likes the name Griffiths but he has gone straight for the jugular and got his man. We have to give IB the benefit of doubt, for a few games at least.

I bet he wishes he could say

‘They’re all crap except for the bloke who’s had covid for the last 6 months and whoever gave Ben Turner another professional contract should be banned from football for life’.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    We have to give IB the benefit of doubt, for a few games at least.
    Even if we finish out of the playoffs, we have to give him the benefit of the doubt. Even into next season, we would have to be in the relegation positions after a dozen games for me to call for his sacking.

We can still comment on what we've seen from him so far though, and let's just say it could be better.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast