+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hospital Procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP67 is back! View Post
    Thanks for the advice this is brilliant, never worried about medical procedures but the thought of having a pipe down my throat while awake was terrifying, I have quite a bad hiatus hernia that is getting worse and needs some investigation, I will now push the doc to get me booked in.
    I’ve read up tonight on the drug that they give Dave, it’s called Midazolam, I suggest that you read up on it.

I was given 3mg which I believe is the most they can give for sedation.

Not only does it make you hyper relaxed and possibly nod off but it also destroys the brains ability to create a memory so even if you did have a tricky moment it’s impossible to remember it.

The procedure only takes 3-4 minutes maximum even when taking biopsies like they did with me today and the whole period from lying on my side and biting on the mouth guard is a total blank.

They should issue this at Albion matches!

Like I said before Dave, tell them your an 11 on their 1 to 10 wimp scale ( like me ) and ask if you can have 3mg of the magic juice like I had.

You don’t even need to stress about this for one second mate.

I've had a number of small procedures under local anaesthetic. The one time I had flashbacks to a previous traumatic memory.

I was having a minor procedure to my eyelid at the time so seeing sharp implements approach my eyeball under a surgical spotlight wasn't the greatest of moments for me.

Anyway, the op' wasn't successful so the surgeon suggested sedation as an alternative for the next procedure.

It was opiate based and I had a reaction to it. Cold sweats and extreme nausea. The room wouldn't stop spinning and I felt as sick as a dog.

I was in the recovery room for more than 45 minutes before feeling remotely ok. The op' went fine though so silver linings and all that.

I’ve had a few cardiac procedures done over the past few years; three cardioversions and two ablutions; Each time I opted for the full anaesthetic, didn’t fancy the sedation even though I could have watched the ablations on the giant tv screen in the theatre. Also with the ablations under the full anaesthetic, I was kept in overnight and food in there was excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    I’ve read up tonight on the drug that they give Dave, it’s called Midazolam, I suggest that you read up on it.

I was given 3mg which I believe is the most they can give for sedation.

Not only does it make you hyper relaxed and possibly nod off but it also destroys the brains ability to create a memory so even if you did have a tricky moment it’s impossible to remember it.

The procedure only takes 3-4 minutes maximum even when taking biopsies like they did with me today and the whole period from lying on my side and biting on the mouth guard is a total blank.

They should issue this at Albion matches!

Like I said before Dave, tell them your an 11 on their 1 to 10 wimp scale ( like me ) and ask if you can have 3mg of the magic juice like I had.

You don’t even need to stress about this for one second mate.
    Thanks again Mick really appreciate the advice!

Think we might need it added to the tea at the Hawthorns next season!!

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    As some of you know I’ve had health concerns since the turn of the year.

Today I went into the wonderful little cottage hospital in Evesham for an endoscopy ( camera down the throat into the stomach )
    a procedure I’d been dreading.

My wife had the same thing a month ago but she’s braver than me, she gave me the confidence to go for mine and not wimp out.

I was shocked as to how quick and simple the procedure is, I had the sedation but in reality it doesn’t knock you out, or at least you don’t think you’ve been knocked out.

The whole thing took two minutes and was completely pain free and stress free so if ever you’re asked to take one please do so, if someone as hospital phobic as me can come out saying it’s easier than having a filling at the dentist done then anyone can do this.

I wouldn’t blink if I got called for another.

On inspection I’d got a hiatus hernia which is the reason I get so much acid reflux even though I medicate and I have a couple of stomach polyps that are apparently benign and if no concern.

The wave of relief is palpable, I don’t believe in God but I’m thankful to whatever it is that brings me continued good luck......so far.

If you ever need an endoscopy please do snatch their hand off, you won’t feel a thing.

The staff at Evesham were wonderful as well, such nice people, my thanks to them all.
    Thanks for posting this. I'm waiting for the call for this!

You big girls blouses the lot of you
    Glad all your tests procedures etc all went okay

Phobias are very weird things alongside anxiety it’s very strange what the body n mind does

I was just told to get on with things and don’t think my parents would have been too understanding of any phobias fears or anxiety that would have caused issues and would have found a very “persuasive” way to resolve my fears
    The only phobia I have is extreme heights

Having just spent 5 days in Bham Children’s with my daughter it can be awfully stressful if you are anxious
    She unfortunately was diagnosed on Weds with a pretty serious autoimmune issue so had to have a whole load of new experiences such as MRI steroid drips, tablets, injections, blood tests etc

Luckily I am way more patient n understanding as most parents are these days but blimey it was hard work and very stressful with the current COVID stuff going on especially as I haven’t even had a jab yet so I was Uber cautious

Got out yesterday morning which was my birthday, was absolutely exhausted but the boys did help cheer me up a bit yesterday

Life’s a rollercoaster huh ?

Quote Originally Posted by BaggieSingh View Post

Phobias are very weird things alongside anxiety it’s very strange what the body n mind does

I was just told to get on with things and don’t think my parents would have been too understanding of any phobias fears or anxiety that would have caused issues and would have found a very “persuasive” way to resolve my fears

Having just spent 5 days in Bham Children’s with my daughter it can be awfully stressful if you are anxious
    She unfortunately was diagnosed on Weds with a pretty serious autoimmune issue so had to have a whole load of new experiences such as MRI steroid drips, tablets, injections, blood tests etc

Luckily I am way more patient n understanding as most parents are these days but blimey it was hard work and very stressful with the current COVID stuff going on especially as I haven’t even had a jab yet so I was Uber cautious

Got out yesterday morning which was my birthday, was absolutely exhausted but the boys did help cheer me up a bit yesterday

Sorry to hear that BS seems that there are more instances of autoimmune conditions than there used to be, perhaps modern medicine picks them up nowadays? Got quite a bit in our family, from rare Myasthenia, Lupus and Vasculitis to Arthritis and various allergies, modern medicine does seem to do a great job tho 🤞

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP67 is back! View Post
    Sorry to hear that BS seems that there are more instances of autoimmune conditions than there used to be, perhaps modern medicine picks them up nowadays? Got quite a bit in our family, from rare Myasthenia, Lupus and Vasculitis to Arthritis and various allergies, modern medicine does seem to do a great job tho 🤞
    Thanks Dave it’s something between juvenile dermasomething and lupus so let’s see how she gets on

We are concerned about how often flare ups are likely as this flared up pretty quickly to a point where she can’t stand longer than 10 seconds and can’t pull herself up if slouching and I’ve been carrying her up and down stairs

Thanks Dave it’s something between juvenile dermasomething and lupus so let’s see how she gets on

We are concerned about how often flare ups are likely as this flared up pretty quickly to a point where she can’t stand longer than 10 seconds and can’t pull herself up if slouching and I’ve been carrying her up and down stairs
    Good luck BS modern medicine is amazing, I’m sure they will have her up and about soon.

I am so sorry to hear that BS. I will be thinking of you all.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)