Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Results 91 to 100 of 100

Thread: Leeds United - v - Sheffield United ***Matchday Thread***

  1. #91
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    3,990
    Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    Given that as a team we were much worse in the second half speaks volumes given CPs comment about Alioski. Doesn't really matter, the guy is on a hiding to nothing, given that he isn't a Stuart Dallas, but is expected to play in any position apart from his natural left CB position where he was so effective when he played alongside Saiz. Instead of blaming the player (All the f00king time) blame the inadequacy of our recruitment into a position that has been crying out for a "natural left back" (see below), something that has been lacking for a LOOOOOONNGGG time.

    He gets comments like this;

    "Whelan blamed Alioski’s lack of positional sense for the goal and claimed that it could have easily been prevented by a “natural full-back.”

    “There are lots of things you can talk about in terms of the goal we conceded. I think Alioski was out of position.

    “Luke Ayling was out of position too but it could have been stopped by Alioski covering. He was nowhere to be seen.".

    Ok, Alioski was out of position, but how come its he who gets the sole blame, when Ayling is described also as out of position, but that's ok because Alioski will bail him out, won't he? Who is playing in the position he is most comfortable with, and who isn't?
    Agree 100% Allioski gets a lot of bad press for not being the best left back in the league - but as you rightly point out he was never a left back before joining us, or indeed under our previous managers, however, Philips wasn't a defensive midfielder until Bielsa made him one, Dallas was a right winger at Brentford, Costa was a left winger, Ayling was originally a center back and on and on - Bielsa EXPECTS all his players to be able to play several positions, Allioski is no differenet in that respect, where I do agree withy you is that he gets stick on a regular basis whereas others don't if they are playing "Out of position" and I do think he has been a fabulous aquisition over the last 4 years, and in my opinion will be sadly missed if he does go this summer, always loved the guy, particularly when he wound Appo Halme up in the tunnel before the away game at Barnsley last season!

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    11,455
    Quote Originally Posted by Tichi1 View Post
    Agree 100% Allioski gets a lot of bad press for not being the best left back in the league - but as you rightly point out he was never a left back before joining us, or indeed under our previous managers, however, Philips wasn't a defensive midfielder until Bielsa made him one, Dallas was a right winger at Brentford, Costa was a left winger, Ayling was originally a center back and on and on - Bielsa EXPECTS all his players to be able to play several positions, Allioski is no differenet in that respect, where I do agree withy you is that he gets stick on a regular basis whereas others don't if they are playing "Out of position" and I do think he has been a fabulous aquisition over the last 4 years, and in my opinion will be sadly missed if he does go this summer, always loved the guy, particularly when he wound Appo Halme up in the tunnel before the away game at Barnsley last season!
    No argument regarding his limited ability to flex and perform to the max with the changing requirements from Bielsa (at least when compared to some of the others (although not all, the newbies like Koch and Llorente appear not to fall into the "flexible" player category)), and we definitely agree on how much stick he gets! I suppose had the club acquired a "natural left back" he (Alioski) might find it harder to get 1st team game time.

    Anyway, I suspect he will leave (although I still hope he doesn't). Just hope it's not for that club, no matter how many bridges need to be built I wouldn't want the first (and hardest) to be on the back of a real club stalwart joining them.
    Last edited by WTF11; 06-04-2021 at 02:33 PM.

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,349
    Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    No argument regarding his limited ability to flex and perform to the max with the changing requirements from Bielsa (at least when compared to some of the others (although not all, the newbies like Koch and Llorente appear not to fall into the "flexible" player category)), and we definitely agree on how much stick he gets! I suppose had the club acquired a "natural left back" he (Alioski) might find it harder to get 1st team game time.

    Anyway, I suspect he will leave (although I still hope he doesn't). Just hope it's not for that club, no matter how many bridges need to be built I wouldn't want the first (and hardest) to be on the back of a real club stalwart joining them.
    My point wtf is that Alioski had a bad game, in my opinion. We can make many very valid excuses for him having a bad game, (mine was that he played 3 internationals; see above) but one shouldn't deny that he wasn't at his best.
    As for a specialist left back, Orta did actually try to fill this hole with Barry Douglas. He (Douglas) was pretty good until he got injured, and for some reason never seemed to be at his best again.

  4. #94
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    11,455
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrypie7 View Post
    My point wtf is that Alioski had a bad game, in my opinion. We can make many very valid excuses for him having a bad game, (mine was that he played 3 internationals; see above) but one shouldn't deny that he wasn't at his best.
    As for a specialist left back, Orta did actually try to fill this hole with Barry Douglas. He (Douglas) was pretty good until he got injured, and for some reason never seemed to be at his best again.
    Wouldn't disagree that he put in a less than stellar performance, but he wasn't alone. With respect I disagree with the comment about the other under-par players being Blades. I thought Llorente was invisible and way to easily flustered when he was in close proximity to play, Rodrigo was ineffectual as a replacement for Bamford (who was also very quiet), and Cooper needs to wean himself off the incessant passing back to the keeper, that nearly cost us dear, again.

    As for The Douglas issue, as you say, he was never the same on return from injury in late 2019. We're now at the end of the 20/21 season, no club should be waiting around that long to replace a player who may or may not be effective when (if) they return from injury (again). We have managed to go out to market for other defensive, midfield, and attacking players, what is so difficult about doing the same for LB?

  5. #95
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,349
    To change the subject a little, I looked at Baldock's tackle again (2x). I am sure this has been brought up ad nauseum, but thats a red card. he did not seem to have any intention of going for the ball. It was reckless because if Roberts didn't jump, something nasty could have occurred. Can someone explain to me why that wasn't even a yellow card?

  6. #96
    Join Date
    Jan 1970
    Posts
    1,546
    Should have been straight red, two footed, unbelievable not even a yellow.

  7. #97
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    11,455
    Quote Originally Posted by cherrypie7 View Post
    To change the subject a little, I looked at Baldock's tackle again (2x). I am sure this has been brought up ad nauseum, but thats a red card. he did not seem to have any intention of going for the ball. It was reckless because if Roberts didn't jump, something nasty could have occurred. Can someone explain to me why that wasn't even a yellow card?
    Because the referee was more concerned about the "concussion" possibility (which I'd have more sympathy with if wasn't a plain as the nose on his face that Baldock stayed down and played on the bounce of the turf to deflect (successfully) from the danger of his challenge), and........

    The bell-ends who were manning VAR that day couldn't find a "clear error" with both hands if their lives depended on it.

    My question would be...."Why, if cards (yellows and reds) can be challenged (and in some cases overturned), why is it not possible (now we have the technology) to administer post-match punishments when it's so blatantly clear that the on-the-day officials (on site and remote) got it so badly wrong?"

  8. #98
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    6,030
    Quote Originally Posted by norfolk white View Post
    Should have been straight red, two footed, unbelievable not even a yellow.
    Roberts even fell head first on to his neck. If that makes sense.

  9. #99
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5,800
    Quote Originally Posted by Billyni View Post
    Roberts even fell head first on to his neck. If that makes sense.
    Happened to you - and you're (not) ok.....

  10. #100
    Nailed on red card. We battered them even though for parts of the game we didn’t play as we can.

    Onwards and upwards to Citeh and de Bruyne

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •