+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: MK Dons

MK Dons

Well, after my optimism for the Hull game, expect a bit of normality re: my usual pessimism. We were very good against Hull. The game must have been great for any neutral to watch. It's somewhat unfortunate that most on here are NOT neutral. However, I expected good things against Hull and bad things against MKD. I'm sticking to that as 'The Franchise' are a middling (in terms of results) team, like ourselves and historically we do not maintain our levels of performance against clubs like these. So I'm expecting a dire performance with nothing like the fluidity and pace of the Hull game and a loss by the same result.
    Hopefully Charlie will work as hard as he did on Friday. I don't think the midfield will have as much space as they had then so will need to be sharp and graft. I would still prefer to have Mandron up front, as, although he did his job on Friday, Porter is pretty one-dimensional and Mika adds something else to the team. Or we could go back to two up top. I also hope Daniels keeps going with his runs into the box and tries shooting a bit more rather than passing.
    It will also be necessary to have considered free-kick and corner situations as we haven't made enough of them this season.
    So whatever, a 2-1 loss and the prospect of some hard home games to come (where we may do better!)

Like you I was pretty impressed on Friday and there’s no doubt that we deserved at least a point. Funny how such a good standard of football was decided by 2 penalties and a deflected shot though.

I doubt that Ports will play twice in 4 days so expect Mandron to start. One thing that Porter does better than Mike is the first time lay off and he showed that well against Hull, but I think the sort of ball winning that Mandron brings will be more beneficial away from home. The way that MKD play should suit us (they play rather than try to stop others playing) and I would anticipate a better performance than at Northampton. I would also expect Murphy to replace Ainley to provide a bit of extra stability.

Other than that, the remaining nine deserve to start and earn us at least a draw, however undeserved it might turn out to be! We are due a spot of luck so why not tomorrow! 1-0 the Alex!!

Wow - spot on Aston, good shout!
    Fancy a 3-0 to the Alex today.
    BTW really strong bench, hope DA uses them wisely ...

Personally I would have gone for Adebisi rather than Offord at right back. Believe Adebisi gives us more attacking options and is quicker,

Nearly got the score right ...
    Couple of things to note, much better use of subs, and only 6 shots, but all on target.

1st half was unbelievably easy. Tremendous work by Lowery, Kirk and Mandron to keep them penned virtually in their own penalty area.
    Second half saw MKD playing the ball forward more quickly. Charlie had another excellent game in defence but shame he 'lost his touch' on many of our attacks BUT he was the assist for both goals. Congrats to Mika for his two goals, neither of which were easy. Dale was busy again but the old lack of end product appeared again. Lowery was brilliant until he seemed to tire with about 15 mins to go. Offord definitely looked rusty except for two immaculately timed interceptions. Lancashire did a couple of things well but he made me nervous whenever he had the ball. Pickering was more like himself. Murphy worked hard but Wintle had another iffy game.
    So second half wasn't as enjoyable as the first but overall, very satisfying. Two good performances in contrasting styles since the break-- don't lose hope!

Didn’t watch the match, but the reports and highlights suggest that Will should get a mention for an outstanding save near the end to prevent the usual squeaky bum time! Good tactical set up by DA and, as said by my fellow optimist frogpole, good use of the subs this time. Sounds like they haven’t changed much since the home game - plenty of possession, little to no bite and ponderous at the back. And we took full advantage.

Oh, and I see Lowe can’t resist being the centre of attention on the BBC website again! Win or lose he’s either saying one of his players is the next big thing, or the performance was unacceptable. I think we dodged a bullet when we appointed the calm and constantly entertaining Dave and Kenny double act!

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    1st half was unbelievably easy. Tremendous work by Lowery, Kirk and Mandron to keep them penned virtually in their own penalty area.
    Second half saw MKD playing the ball forward more quickly. Charlie had another excellent game in defence but shame he 'lost his touch' on many of our attacks BUT he was the assist for both goals. Congrats to Mika for his two goals, neither of which were easy. Dale was busy again but the old lack of end product appeared again. Lowery was brilliant until he seemed to tire with about 15 mins to go. Offord definitely looked rusty except for two immaculately timed interceptions. Lancashire did a couple of things well but he made me nervous whenever he had the ball. Pickering was more like himself. Murphy worked hard but Wintle had another iffy game.
    So second half wasn't as enjoyable as the first but overall, very satisfying. Two good performances in contrasting styles since the break-- don't lose hope!
    On the whole I agree but I thought Lancashire had an excellent game and it is Beckles that makes me nervous when he has the ball and not sure what he will do. Kirk had an ok game but should have scored the 3rd goal in the first half and that is the only gripe but he did have 2 assists even though his first was a misplaced pass and Mika deserves all the plaudits for that goal. Goal keeper kept us in the game with two great saves, if either of them had gone in then I fear the second would have followed. So a professional performance, a 3rd goal would have capped a good first half, but its another 3 points which is always a positive and I think a top 10 finish is back on.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    On the whole I agree but I thought Lancashire had an excellent game and it is Beckles that makes me nervous when he has the ball and not sure what he will do. Kirk had an ok game but should have scored the 3rd goal in the first half and that is the only gripe but he did have 2 assists even though his first was a misplaced pass and Mika deserves all the plaudits for that goal. Goal keeper kept us in the game with two great saves, if either of them had gone in then I fear the second would have followed. So a professional performance, a 3rd goal would have capped a good first half, but its another 3 points which is always a positive and I think a top 10 finish is back on.

The problem Kirk had in that game (and others) is that he wants to shoot with his right foot. To do this he moves his body position and weight to the left, giving defenders an opening to the ball. I just wish he would just try and blast it with his left foot.