+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice On Dog Breeders?

Advice On Dog Breeders?

We want to get our first ever dog but we’re aware of the pitfalls of buying from unscrupulous people.

We’re looking for a King Charles Spaniel and I wondered if any of you owned one or could recommend a breeder you know of?

I don’t mind travelling a considerable distance to get the right opportunity.

Thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    We want to get our first ever dog but we’re aware of the pitfalls of buying from unscrupulous people.

We’re looking for a King Charles Spaniel and I wondered if any of you owned one or could recommend a breeder you know of?

I don’t mind travelling a considerable distance to get the right opportunity.

Thanks a lot.

Make sure Mick a good dog breeder is Kennel Club Registered! You should check out a breeder in terms of where they are selling the pups - how long they have lived there - reviews or feedback from other owners. Any good breeder will check you out that’s for sure too. Our breeder was 2.5 hours away so look all over the country as important,

A good breeder will also take a deposit and right up until the last minute will return the deposit to you if you change your mind. A good breeder will also have a stipulation that you can’t sell the pup onwards and return it back if your circumstances change.

Our breeder loves her dogs just as much as people and all the people who have purchased a pup are in a Facebook group. We even take our pup back to the breeder when we are on holidays as we would not put her in a kennel and she can be with her mum and dad.

Take out a first class insurance plan too - not cheap but for peace of mind and get the chip done.

Would not deviate from a Kennel Club registered breeder though! For me that’s really essential!!

We have a gorgeous golden retriever and she’s like a full member of the family. As I have said to my daughter - only take a dog if you can walk them three times a day and one partner at least does not work!

For me getting a dog and working or putting a dog in a cage is cruel! Would a human be put in a cage? No! Even as a pup these cages restrict movement so I personally dislike them.

Train a pup from day one - that’s essential especially on recall!
    Last edited by baggieal; 05-04-2021 at 04:45 PM.

Mick, I didn’t want a dog, was always a cat person but was badgered into it by my wife and daughter, honestly they are a real joy and ours is now my best mate! We got ours from a family pet that had puppies after having first researched the breed that was best for us, make sure you go and see the puppies when they are young and check the mum and general surroundings, knowing you, you will be able to sniff a puppy farm or ‘wrong un’ out, go back a couple of times prior to picking up the puppy and make sure to spend some decent time with them each time, I know lots of folks who have King Charles spaniels and they love them, so good luck and if my experience is anything to go by you will have a new and always cheerful family member soon!

King Charles Spaniels are such lovely lovely dogs, but do have more than their fair share of health issues sadly.

Do make sure the mom and dad have have both have current board certified cardiologists clearance for heart disease if possible as this is one of their main problems.

Get pet insurance straight away, make sure it is Cover for life, that’s really important, and for as much cover as you can afford, and never change insurance companies.

The puppy should be microchipped with the breeder before they come to you.

Mick, I hope you have so much fun with your new best friend.

I was a dog breeder for over 15 years Mick and there are two things which are key to not getting ripped off. Firstly, make sure you see the mother with the pups and secondly, make sure you pick up the pup yourself from the establishment where they were born. Never let the breeder bring the pup to you.

All great advice thanks lads thank you.

Just need a good breeder recommendation.

Here is the link Mick to the kennel club - as al said make sure the breeders are registered. Just type in King Charles and a list of registered breeders will be shown

https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/sea...sured-breeder/

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    Here is the link Mick to the kennel club - as al said make sure the breeders are registered. Just type in King Charles and a list of registered breeders will be shown

https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/sea...sured-breeder/
    Thanks Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    Make sure Mick a good dog breeder is Kennel Club Registered! You should check out a breeder in terms of where they are selling the pups - how long they have lived there - reviews or feedback from other owners. Any good breeder will check you out that’s for sure too. Our breeder was 2.5 hours away so look all over the country as important,

A good breeder will also take a deposit and right up until the last minute will return the deposit to you if you change your mind. A good breeder will also have a stipulation that you can’t sell the pup onwards and return it back if your circumstances change.

Our breeder loves her dogs just as much as people and all the people who have purchased a pup are in a Facebook group. We even take our pup back to the breeder when we are on holidays as we would not put her in a kennel and she can be with her mum and dad.

Take out a first class insurance plan too - not cheap but for peace of mind and get the chip done.

Would not deviate from a Kennel Club registered breeder though! For me that’s really essential!!

We have a gorgeous golden retriever and she’s like a full member of the family. As I have said to my daughter - only take a dog if you can walk them three times a day and one partner at least does not work!

For me getting a dog and working or putting a dog in a cage is cruel! Would a human be put in a cage? No! Even as a pup these cages restrict movement so I personally dislike them.

Train a pup from day one - that’s essential especially on recall!
    Excellent advice, but I think you are wrong about crate training. All my dogs, over the years, have always had their own safe space to go to when they feel the need. A young pup has been taken from it's pack, and needs to know it can escape from all the attention that will undoubtedly come it's way. I've never closed the cage door or used it as a punishment. It's the dogs special place (and we all need one of those), and a dog has no conception of what our definition of cruelty is, so I never anthropomorphise. A dog is a wolf in disguise, so just be a kind Alpha.

We just had a couple of mixed bred mongrels when I was a kid. One was free from a family over the road who had several pups going spare and the other came to us for a small donation via Digbeth Dogs Home.

They only ever needed to go to the vets for yearly check ups or the occasional thorn or broken glass in their paw. Both were well fed, exercised, fit, lean and as loyal as the day was long. If we'd have gone for pedigrees then they'd have been Staffies.

One thing to remember Mick. Dog thefts are on the up, check the most popular stolen breeds as well as medical genetic ailments. All of the best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)