+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice On Dog Breeders?

Quote Originally Posted by Titchfieldbaggie View Post
    Excellent advice, but I think you are wrong about crate training. All my dogs, over the years, have always had their own safe space to go to when they feel the need. A young pup has been taken from it's pack, and needs to know it can escape from all the attention that will undoubtedly come it's way. I've never closed the cage door or used it as a punishment. It's the dogs special place (and we all need one of those), and a dog has no conception of what our definition of cruelty is, so I never anthropomorphise. A dog is a wolf in disguise, so just be a kind Alpha.
    It’s all about the intent. We love our dog to bits and have 3 crates. One in the house and one in each car. He happily jumps from one to another as his space. He would look at us if we were up after 11 and put himself to bed in his crate and close the door lol. Now he is older he no longer needs or has a crate in the house.

Excellent advice, but I think you are wrong about crate training. All my dogs, over the years, have always had their own safe space to go to when they feel the need. A young pup has been taken from it's pack, and needs to know it can escape from all the attention that will undoubtedly come it's way. I've never closed the cage door or used it as a punishment. It's the dogs special place (and we all need one of those), and a dog has no conception of what our definition of cruelty is, so I never anthropomorphise. A dog is a wolf in disguise, so just be a kind Alpha.
    Great word ‘anthropomorphise’ Titchfield buddy ! Had to look it up and can’t wait to use it !

Apologies for moving off the post topic.

Titchfield - you have said you keep the door open and if it works for you then great!

I went to a young couples house on business and they had a gorgeous spaniel and he was in the crate with the door closed. They said to me when they are working from home the dog is in the crate with the door closed apart from when they take it for walks. The poor f uckin thing could hardly move as there was no room and was limping - I had a good mind to report them!! If the cage is open and a dog goes in there of their own free will then that’s great otherwise for me it’s cruel with the door locked. This couple simply did not want to be disturbed when working from home so the easiest thing was to shove the poor thing in the cage. They could have left the dog in the kitchen with the door closed but oh no!

The advice I gave my daughter was - if you are working in an office and can’t walk the dog 2 or 3 times a day - don’t get one as it’s cruel!

Our dog loves her large dog mat and she’s happy to settle down from 7pm to 7am because she’s shattered from long lengthy walks. Dogs as you know need lots of exercise.

The only time you have to be cruel in a nice way is not to over feed as fat or podgy dogs will have health issues. I am the worst when our golden retriever looks at me with those big eyes and dribbling!

But dogs are the best and most loyal friends in the world! We love ours!
    Last edited by baggieal; 06-04-2021 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    Titchfield - you have said you keep the door open and if it works for you then great!

I went to a young couples house on business and they had a gorgeous spaniel and he was in the crate with the door closed. They said to me when they are working from home the dog is in the crate with the door closed apart from when they take it for walks. The poor f uckin thing could hardly move as there was no room and was limping - I had a good mind to report them!! If the cage is open and a dog goes in there of their own free will then that’s great otherwise for me it’s cruel with the door locked. This couple simply did not want to be disturbed when working from home so the easiest thing was to shove the poor thing in the cage. They could have left the dog in the kitchen with the door closed but oh no!

The advice I gave my daughter was - if you are working in an office and can’t walk the dog 2 or 3 times a day - don’t get one as it’s cruel!

Our dog loves her large dog mat and she’s happy to settle down from 7pm to 7am because she’s shattered from long lengthy walks. Dogs as you know need lots of exercise.

The only time you have to be cruel in a nice way is not to over feed as fat or podgy dogs will have health issues. I am the worst when our golden retriever looks at me with those big eyes and dribbling!

But dogs are the best and most loyal friends in the world! We love ours!
    Spot on, fella

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)