+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Appleton

Appleton

This name keeps popping up with insiders saying Appleton is nailed on etc etc. Lincoln are totally out of form and if things don’t improve they will drop out of the top six!

The worry for me - useless Dowling is pals with Appleton and he will come cheap! Does Dowling not thing he’s done enough damage with Kipre, Grant, Zohore and Diangana to name but a few!

Fat Sam was not one of the ones I wanted but hey - I would now beg him to stay with a big fat incentive to get us back up first time and back him with a budget!

Appleton - the name grates on me! Have the club not learnt from previous failures like Big Dave and Shan who could not even make a go of it at Solihull Moors!

Appleton - what a joke!!! Won’t see me there again if he’s appointed and perhaps he should focus on Lincoln before they fall out of the play off spots!

Appleton and the like just signal no ambition. If you don’t aim high, you ain’t aiming high.

You can be sure that the one big ambition regarding WBA is Lai recouping his money. If he decides to put cash in to enable a quick return to the Premier League, then we might be ok. It’s very possible, though, that he isn’t able to put more resources in, which leaves the likelihood that he will take whatever cash he can lay his hands on; Michael Appleton, in that scenario, would be the least of our worries.

I don't get a lot of the hostility towards Michael Appleton. Very good coach and not the yes man portrayed. He made a lot of rash decisions career wise in his earlier days but he's clearly learning as he goes.

He's grown from the caretaker coach who guided us to a three nil lead in his sole game in charge which sadly ended in a draw. Far more experienced in the hot seat than either Moore or Shan.

Might not be our next manager but if he continues his progress he may well be in the future..... unless somebody else takes a punt before Albion of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Albionic68 View Post
    I don't get a lot of the hostility towards Michael Appleton. Very good coach and not the yes man portrayed. He made a lot of rash decisions career wise in his earlier days but he's clearly learning as he goes.

He's grown from the caretaker coach who guided us to a three nil lead in his sole game in charge which sadly ended in a draw. Far more experienced in the hot seat than either Moore or Shan.

Might not be our next manager but if he continues his progress he may well be in the future..... unless somebody else takes a punt before Albion of course.

No hostility from me and wish the guy luck in League 1 but it appears Lincoln are slipping out of the play off places. If that's West Brom's ambition ( Appleton ) well we deserve to end up in league 1 too. I didn't relish Fat Sam but to be fair - he's brought some decent players to the club and the midfield looks much much stronger. These players wanted to come because the name of Fat Sam would have been a pull!

Talking of League 1 - Lee Johnson was always going to do well at Sunderland as he had decent success at Bristol City so I can see us playing them next year! I can't so us playing Sheffield Wednesday or Lincoln and that tells a story!

I hope someone with half a brain ( certainly not Dowling ) offers a very loaded incentive to Fat Sam to get us up first time and give him a decent budget. Fat Sam would not stay around if he thought getting promoted at the first attempt was not very realistic!

But it all depends on a China man who does not want to spend a penny and rape the club of everything to recoup what he invested. Here lies the problem!

With the tight-fisted Lai still holding the purse strings at the club, Appleton may not wish to suffer the constraints that would undoubtedly be put upon him, should the post become vacant. It doesn’t look like a career enhancing move to take on a club with big expectations and next to no resources.

Either way next season will be a watershed moment for the club, either Sam stays which means Lai isn’t raping the club or he goes in which case we are £&@ked...

Appleton is as appealing as a vomit sandwich.

No thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP67 is back! View Post
    Either way next season will be a watershed moment for the club, either Sam stays which means Lai isn’t raping the club or he goes in which case we are £&@ked...
    Spot on!

I know a sports journo in London, not very well I must admit, but I do get little snippets from him. He reckons that he is 99% sure the manager next season will be either BS or Wilder. BS the slight favourite at the moment, but is waiting on certain guarantees from the board.

If he doesn't get it, then Wilder and Dowling do already have a relationship according to him, I think they share the same agent. Anyway, apparently he's lined up if BS walks away.

Having said all of the above, I would take it with a pinch of salt. This fella hasn't always been on the mark.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)