+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: O/T Record Collection

O/T Record Collection

Does anyone still play vinyl? Back in the day I had a large collection of Tangerine Dream albums now sadly all gone. Remember those old single 45s, I bet you stored em in something like this;

Name:  EuDHJ7AWYAQ8y2U.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  78.7 KB

Have anyone still got their record collections?

Yes, I have played vinyl during the lockdowns, both 45 and 33rpm records. Since we have been unable to meet up in groups, I have been in a regular weekly Zoom meeting with members of my music group and we usually have some form of music quiz. So, on occasion, I have played some old singles and tracks off my LP collection and had questions related to them. I’ve even extracted some old 78rpm records from my loft and played them; ah, the nostalgia!

Whoa! This is a great subject about which I am going to comment. Give me time to think about it.

Huge resurgence in Vinyl you can get everything on it now, it’s back to being cool again with the kids!!

I've still got hundreds of albums and singles but they are in the loft. I changed to CDs around 1990 and replaced an awful lot of albums with CDs and well as buying anything new. Since then I have changed again and my collection is now digital. Hundreds of albums all stored on a hard drive. I have them backed up on two other drives in case of a malfunction. I have thought recently about getting a blue tooth turntable and getting the vinyl down because if there is one thing I miss about vinyl its sitting listening to a record and having the cover in your hands, reading the lyrics etc. I remember the excitement of buying a new record and getting it home and studying the cover while you listened. Great memories such as not letting my mom see the cover of the Hendrix Electric Lady Land as it was all naked women and the Blind Faith album showing a pre-pubescent girl just starting to develop breasts.

Do not have a deck anymore but still have a lot of vinyl. I started collecting when I was about 12. I built up a really large collection of 45’s, some EP’s and a lot of LP’s. Mom was always on me to take the massive amount of vinyl I had left behind. When she died I had to do something about it and took drastic action. I left behind all of the 45’s most of my soul LP’s but took the EP’s. I still have a large collection of LP’s upstairs. I loved vinyl and the thrill of particularly buying a new LP, which for me was an event in itself. I have since built up a big CD collection but it just ain’t the same. Phil, I had one of those stands.

A friend of a friend (yes I know) reckons that vinyl is the true way to listen to music (warts and all) rather than the clinical finished product of digital stuff. He maintains live music contains imperfections so why shouldn't recorded stuff be the same

Have to agree with the ‘friend’ Scoop. Recently I have bought 5 CD’s and will buy another imminently. OK the sound is perfect and no doubt of a higher quality than the vinyl but for me that is not all that recorded music is about. The little plastic box with it’s contents are pretty sterile for want of a better word. Give me vinyl with all it’s imperfections any day (and of course it’s superior packaging).

A mate of mine insists that vinyl is best, especially when played on a high end system. He has a HiFi system that cost thousands, the cartridge alone cost well over £1500, and includes a valve amplifier. The sound is stunning and just sounds more ‘real’ than a CD.

Quite a few gathering dust in the loft. Did look on line to see if they had any value but its a buyers market for mine. Dont have a deck any more so thats it.
    Anyone want a Ken Dodds Greatest hit album , let me know.
    What about two little boys by Rolf Harris,
    Only joking

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)