+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Week Of Death

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Despite it being 1 less point I'd take a couple of draws against Coventry and Birmingham over a win and a loss. A draw + win or two wins would of course be nice, two losses and I fear a large female singer would be clearing her throat.
    That's where it gets difficult to judge, you would take a win and a loss perhaps if one team were more likely to stay down with us. But which one would that be? Probably Cov but then if you took a win and a loss and we lost against Brum it would then be them that collapse and stay up with the win against us. Fortunately it isn't a big game in my head of 'footballing gods would go against us'. It's so hard to judge.

Basically if we win against both H'Field and QPR we then may, and only may, be able to win one and lose one. If we don't get 6 points then we need wins. Simple as. Draws wouldn't be any good really, false dawn. We need wins. Stating the obvious I know.

Before Wycombe we had lost 20 times in the league this season... 14 by a single goal.... everytime we 'just don't quite get the break to get a point' does come back to bite you, always will do. Even if we had drawn 4 we would be within a win of being safe. Fine fine fine margins.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    Yes, overly pessimistic on my part but realistically LLLL is more likely than WWWW

But you never know with this stupid game we all love
    Totally agree.

The fine margin argument also pulls in ts into the argument. Maybe one more player could have made the difference between us staying up and going down. I still think we should risk getting another player it will only be for 5 weeks now even if they want 20k a week tgat 100k
    What's an 100k gamble compared to getting 6 or 7 m again next year. Put it this way if I had the cash ts has I would take that gamble and not bother with a flash car this year

With regard to points needed in next 4 games. First thing I would say we cant afford to lose to Brum or Cov because they are 6 pointers. Draws wunt be the end of the world against them but we would have to get wins elsewhere then. My feeling is we need at least 7 points from the 4 games taking us to 42 that would mean prob 3 wins from last 6 games. We may get away with less points if we are lucky.

Bham getting rid of Karanka has been a masterstroke for them and a disaster for us. In saying that sometimes the honeymoon period wears off and hopefully their form will deteriorate again.

Think Cov will just keep plodding on as Robins sides tend to do. They wont hit a particularly bad or good run. I can see em getting another 10 pts. Which brings me on to another thing our GD is just about holding up still but losing 3-0 to wyc didnt help it. GD could matter after 46 games we cant afford anymore big losses.

Just to add don't rule Hudds being pulled into it but they waint if they beat us on Sat. If we can win there it could really drag them into it.They will be 5 pts ahead of us and have played 3 games more and with an inferior GD to us thanks to the Norwich thrashing the other day. Obviously if we beat them they are going to be at least 2 more goals weaker than us on Gd as well. It could actually be the key game of the season for us.
    Last edited by rolymiller; 07-04-2021 at 05:07 PM.

We used to have an average of a point per game, that’s dropped below that now.

So 10 games left gives about 8 points

I agree with Roly that I think we need a minimum of 7 points from the next 4 games to stand a chance of staying up, preferably with at least 4 of those points being against Coventry and Birmingham.

Personally I can't see us getting more than 4 or 5 points from those games but I really hope I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    We used to have an average of a point per game, that’s dropped below that now.

So 10 games left gives about 8 points
    It doesn't look like a point a game will cut the mustard this season (not sure what cutting the mustard has to do with the price of eggs though )

Someone said a while back a team drop from mid table late in the season. That could be Huddersfield.

If we were just behind either Cov or Birm then a draw wouldn't be the end of the world but if we are even 4 or 5 behind then I don't think a draw will do. They maintain the gap and we would then need two positive results with them getting nothing. If they go and win the next game that would put absolutely huge pressure on us needing to win nearly all remaining games. We have to beat Cov and Birmingham. We have to pull beside them instead of being one positive result behind because if they get one and we don't we are well behind again. Like what's happened. It's okay being in touch till they get a surprising result or two, then we need miracles.

Quote Originally Posted by Townerslovechild View Post
    Starting Saturday we play Sat-Tues-Thurs-Sun, which is mad.
    4 games in 8 days,I'm sure we've never done that before, has any team ?
    And all 4 games are against teams who we could potentially catch,so really more the week of hope.
    One thing's for sure there won't be a lot of training next week !
    Obviously, I want us to, but I cannot see where we will get anything from the next four games such is the mess we are currently in. The Captain was missing against Wycombe but you'd have thought half the regular team were out such was the abysmal display.

No leader on the pitch and certainly no leader off it and probably Warne's least animated touchline performance.
    Never mind, he'd got his cup o' Yorkshire Tea in hand looking laid back and cool and all that.

Second half 2-0 down, he puts his hat on. Further on and we concede a third, the face mask goes back on for some unexplainable reason. By the time the final whistle came, hat on, mask pulled up he looked like a ninja warrior hiding everything facial but his eyes.

Completely the wrong formation and it showed. Such an important game and it was spectacularly thrown away. Can't blame the team, they didn't pick their places. Thing is, we know and have to be grateful, Wood will be back in the back four. It also requires Olosunde at right back, Ihiekwe, and Harding at left back, nothing short of that will do.
    I really don't believe 3 across the back is strong enough in this run in. Some teams will play two wingers and three at the back won't cope, simple as that.

The teams formation/players will change many times on the run in and this is bound to have an effect on the results.
    We all hope for and some may well pray realistically, that we get to the magic 50 points to save our season, personally I am in readiness for League 1 next season. Come on Warne & Co and the team, prove me wrong!
    Last edited by Brin; 07-04-2021 at 06:49 PM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast