+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on season so far

Last season I was fortunate to sit behind the Leeds dugout as I did the season before and before that,so I take note of many things going on.On away days I see a differing perspective from behind Meslier - but the play details are the same.

It's obvious that Leeds press intensely when losing possession.Automatically several things always happen.Bielsa stands up and shrieks at our full backs to get back into zonal defence as our other players start to press and crowd out - every game this happens.

Our non pressing players all move into a man marking system so when all are back in the man marking configuration our intense press becomes easier across the pitch to retain possession again.

The stats men state our game is 'high possession football' which is positionally focused to generate ‘superiorities’ in forward areas.Obviously this demands attention to operate effectively from all our players on the pitch and also those sat on the bench who regularly get the iPad passed around over 90 minutes to show where they may be needed if called upon into the action.

When we get caught out on a counter attack Bielsa’s defensive model is now well grooved in such a way that allows Leeds to slow down the opposition attack and return to a defensive system as quickly and easily as possible.

This wonderful system is designed to press effectively across the field without resulting in any real defensive weaknesses that can be exploited by opponents.As a result of this our players when in possession also have to be very aware of their defensive position at all times which is mentally demanding regardless of our high individual fitness levels.Mentally we are hell of a team to beat !

We can be caught out and it's far to often on the left.I like Alioski,obviously a great intelligent character asset to have around but at left back he can be caught out by following the the man as opposed to our first required defensive disciplined line of duty of performing the above 'crowding out tactic of positional play' done in unison alongside our other players.When he plays at left back his lacking of positional sense was exploited last season and regularly this season.Against Man U away he had a nightmare against Dan James.Alioski’s disciplined defensive attributes have never been first class and he was given a torrid afternoon by James,failing to win a tackle against him and causing Harrison to lose possession 24 times by poorly placed passing/positioning basically the stats showed which has been the case scenario against wide pacey wingers.

For me he's a better defensive midfielder where his job is simpler to perform and his enthusiasm is reigned in.Not bothered if he stays or goes as he's served us well but he can give us no more and I believe we require better to balance our defensive well rehearsed strategy.

It's been a wonderful developing 3 seasons to watch it all come together.

Quote Originally Posted by Monaco_Totty View Post
    Last season I was fortunate to sit behind the Leeds dugout as I did the season before and before that,so I take note of many things going on.On away days I see a differing perspective from behind Meslier - but the play details are the same.

It's obvious that Leeds press intensely when losing possession.Automatically several things always happen.Bielsa stands up and shrieks at our full backs to get back into zonal defence as our other players start to press and crowd out - every game this happens.

Our non pressing players all move into a man marking system so when all are back in the man marking configuration our intense press becomes easier across the pitch to retain possession again.

The stats men state our game is 'high possession football' which is positionally focused to generate ‘superiorities’ in forward areas.Obviously this demands attention to operate effectively from all our players on the pitch and also those sat on the bench who regularly get the iPad passed around over 90 minutes to show where they may be needed if called upon into the action.

When we get caught out on a counter attack Bielsa’s defensive model is now well grooved in such a way that allows Leeds to slow down the opposition attack and return to a defensive system as quickly and easily as possible.

This wonderful system is designed to press effectively across the field without resulting in any real defensive weaknesses that can be exploited by opponents.As a result of this our players when in possession also have to be very aware of their defensive position at all times which is mentally demanding regardless of our high individual fitness levels.Mentally we are hell of a team to beat !

We can be caught out and it's far to often on the left.I like Alioski,obviously a great intelligent character asset to have around but at left back he can be caught out by following the the man as opposed to our first required defensive disciplined line of duty of performing the above 'crowding out tactic of positional play' done in unison alongside our other players.When he plays at left back his lacking of positional sense was exploited last season and regularly this season.Against Man U away he had a nightmare against Dan James.Alioski’s disciplined defensive attributes have never been first class and he was given a torrid afternoon by James,failing to win a tackle against him and causing Harrison to lose possession 24 times by poorly placed passing/positioning basically the stats showed which has been the case scenario against wide pacey wingers.

For me he's a better defensive midfielder where his job is simpler to perform and his enthusiasm is reigned in.Not bothered if he stays or goes as he's served us well but he can give us no more and I believe we require better to balance our defensive well rehearsed strategy.

It's been a wonderful developing 3 seasons to watch it all come together.
    And yet again, as per comments on other threads, in a post that deals with the performance of the whole squad (not just those who figure more or less every week in the 1st team), apart from a sideways reference to Meslier, Alioski is the ONLY player named, and ONLY to provide negative feedback (and please don't suggest that every other player is perfect, because they aren't!). At least there is acknowledgement that he "is a better defensive midfielder", which is where he was played for the early part of his career with Leeds, until he got shifted because the club failed to get a "natural LB".

I don't think he reads these forum pages, but if he does, would it be surprising if he thought "f00k it, I'm off", even if it WAS to THAT club?

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    And yet again, as per comments on other threads, in a post that deals with the performance of the whole squad (not just those who figure more or less every week in the 1st team), apart from a sideways reference to Meslier, Alioski is the ONLY player named, and ONLY to provide negative feedback (and please don't suggest that every other player is perfect, because they aren't!). At least there is acknowledgement that he "is a better defensive midfielder", which is where he was played for the early part of his career with Leeds, until he got shifted because the club failed to get a "natural LB".

I don't think he reads these forum pages, but if he does, would it be surprising if he thought "f00k it, I'm off", even if it WAS to THAT club?
    The club have addressed all positions so far and my point was a better left back is now needed.Club policy is having players of a certain age and to tie them up contract wise and a 29 year old with ability wanting better terms is a free agent who I believe can be bettered from within or from outside and as such from my viewings of the 'team' performing that position has been a chink in our armour and needs addressing for us to progress to a top six placing.

Failed to get a left back ?

Maybe but maybe one is developing in the club or one is about to come in.

Natural left back ?

We require a Bielsa left back - big difference.

Think this summer we could see quite an exodus of players especially those who are hitting 18 months or less on their contracts.

As a business do you increase wage levels to premiership levels for the likes of Roberts (guessing new wage would be 40-60k) or do you get the transfer fee and buy someone of better potential/proven quality?

If contracts are improved and they fail to kick on, how do you move them on with such a wage?

Think second season is going to be much harder all round for the club on many different fronts. Defo don't want a repeat of the Ridsdale era.

The club have addressed all positions so far and my point was a better left back is now needed.Club policy is having players of a certain age and to tie them up contract wise and a 29 year old with ability wanting better terms is a free agent who I believe can be bettered from within or from outside and as such from my viewings of the 'team' performing that position has been a chink in our armour and needs addressing for us to progress to a top six placing.

Failed to get a left back ?

Maybe but maybe one is developing in the club or one is about to come in.

Natural left back ?

We require a Bielsa left back - big difference.
    The club have NOT "addressed all positions so far". We have no second string GK (unless of course you consider Koko a suitable alternative to Meslier?). Not my point anyway.

The squad that got us promoted as Championship winners is by and large the same squad that has brought us safety in the PL. ALL players deserve credit for that huge achievement, and to single out one named player for criticism, when it's perfectly possible to do so for others who remain nameless but who have cost us goals and/or games, is shameful. None are perfect, none are likely to attract the obscene transfer fees we see bandied about in the higher echelons of the PL, ALL have contributed.

One player doesn't make a team, neither does one player break one. You're entitled to your view on performance, but the fault (if there is one) is to expect a player acquired because of skills and performance shown in one position can necessarily change to another and still perform. The responsibility for leaving that position "vacant" lies with the club, not the player(s). The "Bielsa expects any player to play anywhere" bullsh1t is just that, he doesn't want Raphina playing at RB, he doesn't want Cooper as CF, he doesn't want Bamford as CB, he doesn't want Lllorente as RW etc etc. There are VERY few players in this squad or any other that have been cast about like Alioski, Dallas being the absolute standout, and about as many who have done it anywhere near as well.

"Maybe a left back is developing or about to come in", WTF??? Maybe the sun won't rise tomorrow, or maybe the price of bread will go up (or down), comments are about as meaningless as anything FFS. If developing, they have a few short games left to show themselves this season, and if "coming in" let's see how that works out, given that the place has been vacant for a season and a half. Until they (the club) act, I suspect that for as long as he remains at the club Alioski will continue to be played out of position and used as whipping boy if/when he gets turned around, (now who SHOULD be held responsible for that?

BTW, I used the term "natural left back" as it was quoted in yet another piece following the Blades game, where it was claimed that "a natural left back" would not have made the error of positioning that Alioski was accused of. Natural left back, Bielsa left back, don't give a hoot what label you put on it, just that it happens sooner rather than later.

My opinion your opinion.

Who was the young Meslier people once asked.

Who is the young Elia Caprile one may ask - I know as he's an International keeper now ready.

Who was Ben White they once asked.

I know him a decent player who had a lot to learn - decisive heading being the issue but whose attributes flowed in our unique team set up at that time and of course he's set the PL on fire this season has he not.

Opinions,opinions.

My opinion your opinion.

Who was the young Meslier people once asked.

Who is the young Elia Caprile one may ask - I know as he's an International keeper now ready.

Who was Ben White they once asked.

I know him a decent player who had a lot to learn - decisive heading being the issue but whose attributes flowed in our unique team set up at that time and of course he's set the PL on fire this season has he not.

Opinions,opinions.
    And I get accused of changing the direction of the thread!!!!!!

It's not a question of opinion when it comes to "naming and shaming" one player out of a squad of players who gained us promotion last season and who has continued to perform to the best of his ability whilst being regularly played out of position this. Doing so was and is not necessary, as we all (yes, even me!) know that he (and others) have limitations, as do we all. THAT was my point, and nothing to do with opinions.

The rest of post #16 is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    The club have NOT "addressed all positions so far". We have no second string GK (unless of course you consider Koko a suitable alternative to Meslier?). Not my point anyway.

The squad that got us promoted as Championship winners is by and large the same squad that has brought us safety in the PL. ALL players deserve credit for that huge achievement, and to single out one named player for criticism, when it's perfectly possible to do so for others who remain nameless but who have cost us goals and/or games, is shameful. None are perfect, none are likely to attract the obscene transfer fees we see bandied about in the higher echelons of the PL, ALL have contributed.

One player doesn't make a team, neither does one player break one. You're entitled to your view on performance, but the fault (if there is one) is to expect a player acquired because of skills and performance shown in one position can necessarily change to another and still perform. The responsibility for leaving that position "vacant" lies with the club, not the player(s). The "Bielsa expects any player to play anywhere" bullsh1t is just that, he doesn't want Raphina playing at RB, he doesn't want Cooper as CF, he doesn't want Bamford as CB, he doesn't want Lllorente as RW etc etc. There are VERY few players in this squad or any other that have been cast about like Alioski, Dallas being the absolute standout, and about as many who have done it anywhere near as well.

"Maybe a left back is developing or about to come in", WTF??? Maybe the sun won't rise tomorrow, or maybe the price of bread will go up (or down), comments are about as meaningless as anything FFS. If developing, they have a few short games left to show themselves this season, and if "coming in" let's see how that works out, given that the place has been vacant for a season and a half. Until they (the club) act, I suspect that for as long as he remains at the club Alioski will continue to be played out of position and used as whipping boy if/when he gets turned around, (now who SHOULD be held responsible for that?

BTW, I used the term "natural left back" as it was quoted in yet another piece following the Blades game, where it was claimed that "a natural left back" would not have made the error of positioning that Alioski was accused of. Natural left back, Bielsa left back, don't give a hoot what label you put on it, just that it happens sooner rather than later.
    Whoa, wtf, here is what happened. I said that alioski played poorly last weekend. Monaco gave his perspective as he is closer to the action on a regular basis. I actually learned something which i didn't know before. Then you start a diatribe on how alioski is "singled out". All anyone's done is state that Alioski had a bad day and give possible reasons. Its actually a constructive discussion. Maybe I should say it was a constructive discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by cherrypie7 View Post
    Whoa, wtf, here is what happened. I said that alioski played poorly last weekend. Monaco gave his perspective as he is closer to the action on a regular basis. I actually learned something which i didn't know before. Then you start a diatribe on how alioski is "singled out". All anyone's done is state that Alioski had a bad day and give possible reasons. Its actually a constructive discussion. Maybe I should say it was a constructive discussion.
    nd for the last time (I can't be bothered to make the point any more), the performances this season have (as a team) been better than we could have hoped for in our wildest dreams (mine included), and for one player to be singled out (and it's not just your post that has done so) for criticism is uncalled for and unfair. Meslier has cost us goals through poor positioning and inadequate reaction, Cooper has cost us goals with his uncertain positioning and incessant (and unnecessary) passing back to the GK, Rodrigo and Koch cost us victory against Liverpool in the first game of the season, Ayling has been caught out of position repeatedly (as he was against Blades, with Alioski supposedly there to bail him out), Phillips has been lacsadasical on too many occasions (either through fatigue or simple disinterest (bad day at the office). All are compensated for, one way or another, by the team, playing as a unit and making up for the slips, thuds and blunders of team mates, and in a thread that summarised, rather than singled out, naming one player out of all the others, is yet another example of where Alioski (for reasons I simply don't understand) is "named and shamed" by many posters..

I didn't "start a diatribe" regarding the guy (even Tich agreed with my comments on another thread about the same matter, and we don't always see eye to eye), I simply queried why it was felt necessary to single out one player, particularly in the context of a post by Monaco Totty that addressed almost throughout the team, squad and tactics, not individuals. And the last two paragraphs of Monacos post referred to his overall performance as a left back (which I hope we would all agree and acknowledge is NOT where he plays best), not a single "bad day".

As for being constructive, and the implication that my contribution would jeopardise that, you would suggest that counter arguments and challenge should be avoided?

I suppose that WTF is perhaps looking for consistency in how we rate players etc, which is not entirely unreasonable?

However if someone is consistently making errors, having difficult matches then their name is bound to be mentioned on a forum more often than others?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)