+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Takeover - What's The Point?

Takeover - What's The Point?

So we're going to be losing as owner a lifelong fan with hundreds of millions in the bank to a stranger with less - where's the benefit and what's the excitement for? Serious question. I can see the point of any billionaire buying in or a local/fan as well heeled as MM (was!) but I don't see it here.

his is the sort of conundrum GP was good at unpicking before he turned his talents to baiting rA, maybe someone out in the shadows can explain it to dullards like me

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    So we're going to be losing as owner a lifelong fan with hundreds of millions in the bank to a stranger with less - where's the benefit and what's the excitement for? Serious question. I can see the point of any billionaire buying in or a local/fan as well heeled as MM (was!) but I don't see it here.

his is the sort of conundrum GP was good at unpicking before he turned his talents to baiting rA, maybe someone out in the shadows can explain it to dullards like me
    I think it is as simple as MM wanting out at any cost, before he ends up skint.
    A buyer that takes a sponge off him now, is better than nothing.

Young and ambitious, ready to give us a refreshing boost, or young and stupid, with eyes bigger than his belly?

Could be another GSE, could be another Amigo.

Who knows?!

I think Tricky sums it up well, he wants out whilst he's got something left for his old age!

Mel said he'd been illl recently and had to have 'bits chopped off' so it may not be a case of Mel wanting out for financial reasons, maybe just maybe his hand is being forced, maybe he knows something and is not letting on, just think about that for a second, there's been some pretty hurtful stuff said about Mel on the forest sites recently during the sheikh's attempted takeover and now with Alonso, so real immature scum bags just typing what they want without giving any thought to what might be the actual reason he wants to sell

Quote Originally Posted by StensonRam View Post
    Mel said he'd been illl recently and had to have 'bits chopped off' so it may not be a case of Mel wanting out for financial reasons, maybe just maybe his hand is being forced, maybe he knows something and is not letting on, just think about that for a second, there's been some pretty hurtful stuff said about Mel on the forest sites recently during the sheikh's attempted takeover and now with Alonso, so real immature scum bags just typing what they want without giving any thought to what might be the actual reason he wants to sell
    Very true Stenson. I'm not doubting Morris's love of the club etc and he may have a good reason to be leaving.
    Reminds me of Mrs Trew getting all the flack from Notts fans for stepping down. Non of them knew she had brain cancer.
    But he's been wanting out for a while and I still believe he's realised its breaking him. I certainly wouldn't be buying a football club, as I know damn well that it means money out, not in.

Promise to his family not to throw more than £100M at the club. He's more than doubled that.

Recurring rumours of ill health including a bout of Covid and having cancerous bits cut off and/or out show he's not in the best of health.

Reason enough to want out as far as I'm concerned.

His tenure hasn't been the huge success he or any of us wanted. It has been a roller coaster with good and bad bits. It is what it is. He could have thrown twice as much at the club without any guarantee of success. Financially he's still more than just well off. His health appears to be far from where he would want it.

Quote Originally Posted by StensonRam View Post
    Spot on, Stenson.

Nobody can doubt that Mel Morris set out with the best of intentions. Equally no one can doubt that he’s been dogged by misfortune, made some mistakes and been let down by countless individuals along the way.

It is, as MA says, ‘what it is’. Nothing is more important than good health no matter how wealthy you are. Again, as MA suggested earlier this week, Alonso is likely to just be the face of a ‘consortium’ so his ‘mere’ £80m fortune may not be significant. We will just have to wait and see.

Either way, unless we are somehow to suffer the consequences of serious financial wrongdoing during MM’s tenure, I for one am not going to criticise him. He did his best, sadly it hasn’t worked out but that was never for want of trying and I wish him well for the future. This may come as a surprise to some...but there are more important things than football.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 09-04-2021 at 08:32 AM.

Its interesting to read that*former Real Madrid president Ramon Calderon*will be the Rams' lawyer under the new regime but why, think our clubs lawyers have don't pretty well so far. Stephen Pearce to stay on with Mel who will become an advisor which is a good move

Glad they're going to look at overhauling our european scouting system - that really does need a good seeing to.

He's not even had EFL approval yet and he's aready moving in

Obviously, there was no point! Now officially dead in the water!
    Makes you wonder who is advising Mel, two potential new owners in advanced talks and neither could up with the lolly!
    Unbelievable!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)