+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purslow not happy, Dean Smith not the man to take us forward

Purslow not happy, Dean Smith not the man to take us forward

This writer claims a Villa source has said that the hierarchy at Villa are looking to replace Smith, who has spent around £250m on transfer fees, with the unbeaten Stephen Gerrard.

What are your thoughts?

https://www.footballinsider247.com/h...villa-changes/

Footballinsider....absolute tosh Sam. Smith has taken us to another level ahead of schedule, he is doing a great job with what he has. I would ignore it, he deserves at least one maybe two more more full seasons before we think about rebuilding to which we are in the process of tying down our assets now.
    No for me, its lazy journo with nothing else to talk about, its worse than the Birmingham mail for BS....

I’m a bit ambivalent on DS. He steered us to an eagerly accepted, lucky/scruffy promotion, and Covid kept us in the Prem.

Last summer he finally had a really good transfer window and his first X1 is fairly decent when Jack plays. Beyond that, we’re a bottom 6 squad, as performances post-Xmas have shown.

I am more than happy for DS to continue the steady use of good fortune for next season, but I do not feel that he is the man for the next level. This is not a criticism, but it’s just how I see it.

The owners’ expectations will define DS’s future at VP. Time will tell.

The usual clickbait rubbish in my view, whatever your personal thoughts on Deano he has improved pretty much every season he has been a manager, its frustrating perhaps that his improvement is stalling a bit now, so he appears fixed in his ideas to us from the outside (me especially) but if he were a player and had come from Hereford, Walsall, brentford, etc and was now mid table in the Prem, there would be a queue of clubs trying to buy him. The rest of the season to learn you have to change if what youre doing doesnt work hopefully and a decent summer window, and next season should define if he has the ability to take us to the next stage in our recovery to what we as fans think is the right place?

He doesnt help himself does he? I post a bit of support and he thanks me with a tactical masterclass like that, Klopp should hand him any bonus he gets for yesterdays win, the only plus point is due to various injuries he might have to play with 2 strikers cos he is running out of wingers ( or should that be whingers?) Some would say the changes last week would not work against a so called top 6 side, I reckon Fulham looked better than Plop did tbh, we were playing at times with 9 men in that second half, in fact worse than that, some of them seemed to be playing for Liverpool. Three little words Dean SORT IT OUT, if you dont, then Im afraid you dont deserve the summer window to put it right, and it wont be just us fans begining to think that way, our owners are generous, but they are not stupid.

Based on the 2nd half, had trez's shot gone in then im sure we would have won??
    We are extremely limited at the minute with impact subs, as you said 9 men for Berkley and Elghazi did nothing when they came on.
    Liverpool were the better team and to be honest, no way was that offside in the first half, utter nonesense!
    Points to note
    Martynez gifted Salah his goal
    Mings was dire
    Nakamba none existant
    McGinn......lost
    Traore.....lost
    Luiz.........big baby
    Subs....lost..lost ....lost

Plus side..
    Cash....superb
    Watkins ...good goal
    Trez....unlucky
    Konsa....solid
    Target....Solid

Yet another game where we can say, we blew it....

How differently we see things, Dave. Trez and Traore, and then AEG were the players handicapping us and constantly do so over the season.

Trez is a one-trick pony, to arrive very late at the back post, the rest of the time he is an embarrassment to the shirt. He’s a hopeless, headless chicken with absolutely no ball control.

Traore? Oz was right all along. He’s a butt-lazy, mardarse, show pony (Traore, not Oz).

AEG is a waste of talent. He has magic in his feet, but custard running through his veins. Absolutely no heart, bravery, or conscience.

All 3 may produce something every 8 or so games and nothing in between. Costing us goals with their inability to contribute to a team in the meantime.

Dougie Luiz is fast proving last season’s form was a fluke. Nakamba for me had a very good game and seems to be people’s scapegoat.

We were easily beaten by the worst 1 to 8 bin dipper team in living memory.

I dont think we should turn on the team, I think we have over achieved and maybe should be down there with Newcastle but villa always give you hope then let you down. Its not a time to panic, we need some quality upfield, we require a Marquee signing or two with some talent on the bench. I would like Smith to lead us but if serious bucks are to be spent, I would understand a bigger proven Name.
    I would like us to reach 50 pts, I think we can achieve this. This would represent a good solid season with room to improve! I just wish when we get goals v The top 6 teams we can go on and see it through!

Quote Originally Posted by TrianonDave View Post
    I dont think we should turn on the team, I think we have over achieved and maybe should be down there with Newcastle but villa always give you hope then let you down. Its not a time to panic, we need some quality upfield, we require a Marquee signing or two with some talent on the bench. I would like Smith to lead us but if serious bucks are to be spent, I would understand a bigger proven Name.
    I would like us to reach 50 pts, I think we can achieve this. This would represent a good solid season with room to improve! I just wish when we get goals v The top 6 teams we can go on and see it through!
    Turn on the team? Panic? No drama here mate, everything is going to plan. One more season with DS, to stabilise further and then re-evaluate.

In the summer, to continue the progress, we have to offload the 3 amigos and Barkley, with the latter being easy (end of loan), and add quality.

This season is already mission accomplished, with no panic of relegation and hopefully, lessons learned. Just a case of seeing the season out. Blood the hungry kids and don’t waste any more time on passengers.

No panic indeed ExV but some of the comments on social media are just outragious!
    For me the plan is hatching quite nicely, the players who will be staying are systematically being given new contrats, I can only imagine in preparation for new signings who, as we know will be on very high wages if we want to attract the best, last thing you want is the new boy earning double money compared to the players already established. Makes sense really, even Cash is being offered a new contract, hes only been here less than 10 Months!
    No, I'm happy with progress, defeats P me off but thats just being a fan...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)