+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Purslow not happy, Dean Smith not the man to take us forward

Have we overachieved? I don't think so, we have won when shouldn't and lost when we shouldn't but played really well before the Covid outbreak only deserving to lose to Leeds at home. After the outbreak the form of the midfield including Jack has just not been the same as it was before, they just need to play themselves back into form. I believe they are good enough when at their best, they're young and inconsistent, it's the final third that needs the most attention as all the pressure is on Ollie who has had a very good first season at this level.

To still be on the fringes of european places after such a bad run is testament to how good we have been in the first half of the season, the tactics have often been questioned and that's one area where we need to improve in order to change the outcome of games 60 minutes in.

Changing a game with tactics is where Deano does suffer, I think the win over Fulham was a first, subs came on and blew Fulham away but picking a team to beat someone or changing it with impact players is missing. 1-1 at Anfield 2 mins to go, you bring the subs on, defenders! And kill the game and take a point, we have lost so many from winning positions, then Smith makes the call, often too late!

I think that we have been overachieving (lucky if you prefer) since DS took over. But we’d all prefer a lucky manager to an unlucky good manager.

Most teams, bar Jawdees at home and Boggies away, have outplayed us. The Jawdees returned the favour at their place and it wouldn’t surprise me to see the Boggies do the same, down the line.

The defence is fine, the midfield’s 2nd touch is a tackle, and Ollie has to play on his own in a non-existent front 3.

Yet here we are, sitting pretty in mid-table. There has to be some luck (over-achievement) in there somewhere.

As I said, I’m happy enough with our lucky manager, but soon we’re gonna need a lucky good manager. And a couple of wingers and a bast@rd or two in midfield.

Onwards & Upwards

P.s. The only way we'll get to Europe is if we "Thomas Cook" it.

You called it Sam, proves we have been worried and debating Smiths ability towards the end of last season and Not just the 5 game losing spree!
    I just knew Gerrards Name has been touted before, guess now we may think this has been on the cards just like Jacks move to Citeh...I should listen to you more Sam.🤔

Still sad to see DS go - but in the cold light of day we were certs for the drop before Covid struck despite playing well and taking the lead we were the worst for surrendering winning positions. Couldn't work out a way to play without Grealish and failing to put a shift in for 90 minutes in plenty of games this season all points to poor performance overall.

Whoever comes in I hope they can bring the best out of our squad, they're good enough for top half.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)