+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: O/T Prince Phillip dies

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    https://youtu.be/5RRmE0_n0K4

https://youtu.be/x6T9wg5-2u0

I like news, but with the advent of rolling news I genuinely think there's too much of it. Or rather, it would be ok if it was detailed analysis that gave you genuine insight, but it tends to just be banal, repetitive, speculative and emotive.

Charlie Brooker pretty much nails it in the links I've posted here, but I also recommend looking up Matt Taibbi; he does a very interesting analysis on the way journalism has evolved (or perhaps regressed).
    Think you are conflating two problems as one here, Drills. I think quality analysis of news issues is available if you look in the right places - Guardian, Times, Bellylaugh, Channel 4.
    However, the other issue is the ridiculous overkill of certain issues - in this case. the Royal family. But then you see how people like Banjo react, having a love affair with the Crown, and that is just the attitude that the BBC addresses. I am sick of being told that I am a member of the British public who is devastated by 'my loss'. I'm not. He's 99; would that we could all live so long. Lost my dad at 48 - now that did devastate me.
    No one gets out of here alive. And btw I am not an anti-monarchist.

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPie View Post
    I wasn’t talking to you Elite! - I have since edited my post as maybe I was a little too abrupt - I would die for that family but would not expect you or the likes of Wodgi pie to understand that.
    Mr Banjo, sorry I didn't respond yesterday, Good for you and your stand on the Royal Family, but I would like a choice ( not that our two main political parties would dare to put that in their manifestos) and don't get me started on the House of Lords shower...

I see BBC radio have changed today programs in reflection and memory of the Duke way way over the top....

Yours in friendship and fellow Pie Wodgi_ Pie

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    As you say, two different reactions. BanjoPie "would die for this family" whereas I wouldn't give them the steam off my piss, because I'm already forced to give them more than I would choose to give due to enforced taxation. If Banjo and others of a like mind want to mourn for a week or two that is their right, just don't try and make us all do it. The loss of someone is always hard to take for those close to the deceased, but I wasn't close in this instance. Just do what you feel is right, and let others do the same.
    Probably the best post that also sums my thoughts on the matter, and the royal family!

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    All TV channels except 4 basically closing down for the day. Is this OTT?
    The first 'dirty' joke I was told (at the age of 10) by a promiscuous ****. 'What is the Queen's favourite record?'
    ANS: 'Magic Moments' on Phillips' 10 inch.
    Sorry, am I being disrespectful? God save the Queen,
    Yes sidders, that was a real Golden Oldie still a good one though.

R I P Prince Phillip, You helped the Queen to make our Country A Well Respected World Wide Treasure.
    Thank you for a great innings.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Think you are conflating two problems as one here, Drills. I think quality analysis of news issues is available if you look in the right places - Guardian, Times, Bellylaugh, Channel 4.
    I agree that quality analysis is available, although I personally wouldn't look for it in any of the places you mentioned. Certainly not the Guardian, which, unsurprisingly, since they started being bankrolled by activist groups (philanthropic partnerships is how they describe it, if they describe it, which they usually don't in their little paragraph at the end of each article about how editorially independent they are) has been reduced to activism rather than journalism.

My point was that rolling news channels have 24 hours per day dedicated to news and they could use that to show interesting in-depth analysis of issues, but they prefer what you neatly described as 'overkill' - a mixture of grief-**** and journalists standing in random places telling you absolutely nothing new for the nth time.

... on a lighter note, we could claim a connection - Phil being part Danish and Captain of HMS Magpie - not that it has any significance; perhaps a faint smile ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234