+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT. Any ebay sellers about?

OT. Any ebay sellers about?

Ive just lost a bid for a childs tricycle and Im a bit miffed by what happened. The starting bid was £18 ( 1 bid)
    I was willing to pay up to £35 quid so when it got near to the finishing time I entered my bid of £35 which appeared to go through ok but then the winning price came up as £20 so I thought id got a bargain only to be informed that I had not won the auction ! There was no reserve on the item . Could the seller have worked this somehow? I myself don't sell on ebay .

think you should have entered your maximum bid earlier.
    no one can see it.
    obviously not gone through in time.

Quote Originally Posted by LincsMiller View Post
    Ive just lost a bid for a childs tricycle and Im a bit miffed by what happened. The starting bid was £18 ( 1 bid)
    I was willing to pay up to £35 quid so when it got near to the finishing time I entered my bid of £35 which appeared to go through ok but then the winning price came up as £20 so I thought id got a bargain only to be informed that I had not won the auction ! There was no reserve on the item . Could the seller have worked this somehow? I myself don't sell on ebay .
    Sounds like your bid didn't go through before the end of the auction.

if he could work it, he would have taken your 35.

Quote Originally Posted by crashbang View Post
    think you should have entered your maximum bid earlier.
    no one can see it.
    obviously not gone through in time.
    Yes, probably to do with the “anti-sniping” delay eBay introduced a few years ago.

Stick to your tactics and bid as late as possible. You probably just timed out.

I definitely wouldn't stick an high bid in early. Surely (maybe it's changed) you'd keep coming up as the highest bidder when someone ups the bid. Easy for sellers to work out and manipulate.

Quote Originally Posted by howdydoo View Post
    Stick to your tactics and bid as late as possible. You probably just timed out.

I definitely wouldn't stick an high bid in early. Surely (maybe it's changed) you'd keep coming up as the highest bidder when someone ups the bid. Easy for sellers to work out and manipulate.
    Yes and don’t put in a top bid that’s a multiple of £5

£21 is better than £20 because many bidders give up when it goes over £20 thinking it will go much higher

I used to put what I thought what the item was worth and my best bid without overbidding and put it in about 30 secs left,this gives it enough time for any timing issues but close enough to catch out others who wernt watching it closely as auction closes.....if I lost so be it...also have a look at what other items that are same or similar are going for so you get a good guide price...also its worth noting when an auction starts you can make them a best offer straight away.I have got some good deals that way with new sellers who aren’t used to it .but that option goes as soon as someone bids on it...
    Last edited by clarkey1974; 09-04-2021 at 02:44 PM.

I suppose it could have backfired on me, but Ive always bid the same way. What makes me a bit suspicious is that the bike was mint and cheapest I've seen them retail is £100 + Name:  s-l225.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  10.1 KB

I've a shop on Ebay selling a mix of auctions and fixed price stuff,if you put in £35 as your maximum bid then even if you had other people bidding yours would still be the winning bid until someone bid over your max.
    Only thing I can think is your bid didnt register or go on in time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast