+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Manchester City - v - Leeds United ***Matchday Thread***

I know some of the Motd pundits said we were magnificent, but whoever edited the highlights was trying to make it a draw.
    I also learned that a cynical foul is not too bad, but if you win the ball and can’t stop your motion immediately, then it’s dangerous.

Ps. The ref has shares in a Sheik oil company.

Well done. Never saw that coming. Funny how the team that copied our all white strip...Real Madrid, today also beat the league leaders of their country. Real beat Barca who of course have close ties with Pep, whose team lost to Leeds. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!!

Quote Originally Posted by Billyni View Post
    I know some of the Motd pundits said we were magnificent, but whoever edited the highlights was trying to make it a draw.
    I also learned that a cynical foul is not too bad, but if you win the ball and can’t stop your motion immediately, then it’s dangerous.

Ps. The ref has shares in a Sheik oil company.
    The subjective stuff I can take (if it's positive for us), or leave (if it isn't!), but what I did find interesting was the analysis of how the defence was set up in the 2nd half and how we adapted without absolutely parking the bus (which we didn't).

Quote Originally Posted by Billyni View Post
    Working all day with not even a phone signal, never mind internet access.
    Couldn’t be happier and will certainly celebrate tonight.
    So so proud of my fellow county and countryman Stuarty.
    He’s an ordinary lad from a housing estate only 12 mile away. Never forgets where he came from.
    MOT.
    I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok....

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    The subjective stuff I can take (if it's positive for us), or leave (if it isn't!), but what I did find interesting was the analysis of how the defence was set up in the 2nd half and how we adapted without absolutely parking the bus (which we didn't).
    It was a really solid effort, Man C defo had us pegged back, but we used it to our advantage. We drew them in and when we could sent the ball out wide where our wingers had the better of their full backs.

The effort the lads put into keeping the shape and closing the gaps was tremendous.

I did think the ref was going to spoil it, he paid far to much attention to the crying and whinging of the city lot.

Brilliant, Been proud all season and still proud....

Not that many points away from 4th - what a bonkers brilliant season this has been.

3 points against the scousers would be justice for the dodgy pen at their place.

Seen the red card incident 6x now. It was a red card. The problem is consistency. Because Baldocks tackle on Roberts a week before should have been red too. He didn't even get the ball whereas Cooper clearly did. Baldock wasn't even booked. I am not sure a foul was even given. Sterling was not booked for stamping which he did 2x. Once on Raphinha and once on Meslier's hand. No consistency. Thats the problem i have.

Quote Originally Posted by cherrypie7 View Post
    Seen the red card incident 6x now. It was a red card. The problem is consistency. Because Baldocks tackle on Roberts a week before should have been red too. He didn't even get the ball whereas Cooper clearly did. Baldock wasn't even booked. I am not sure a foul was even given. Sterling was not booked for stamping which he did 2x. Once on Raphinha and once on Meslier's hand. No consistency. Thats the problem i have.
    Honestly not disagreeing with you for the sake of it, but I don't see how it can be a red (even a yellow), unless there is now going to be another rule introduced that you can't challenge for a ball if it's above knee high (and no, again I'm honestly not being obtuse).

I have my doubts about Cooper, but on this occasion, he challenged for what at the time of the challenge was a 50/50 ball, clearly played the ball and cleared it. It is physically impossible to play a ball at that height, in that position and at that speed, without some form of follow through, the laws of physics demand it and even Bielsa can't trump that. It wasn't a reckless challenge, it wasn't two-footed (as you mention with Baldock the previous week), the ball was played well in advance of any contact with the attacking player, there was no malice (as there was with Sterling), simply a defender defending robustly but fairly when confronted with a 50/50 ball.

Having said all that, I tend to agree with others that a period without Cooper might be interesting, allowing/forcing changes that could bear on what might be our back four next season. Of course there is always the possibility that club will appeal the red, so he might be back next week!

Quote Originally Posted by WTF11 View Post
    Honestly not disagreeing with you for the sake of it, but I don't see how it can be a red (even a yellow), unless there is now going to be another rule introduced that you can't challenge for a ball if it's above knee high (and no, again I'm honestly not being obtuse).

I have my doubts about Cooper, but on this occasion, he challenged for what at the time of the challenge was a 50/50 ball, clearly played the ball and cleared it. It is physically impossible to play a ball at that height, in that position and at that speed, without some form of follow through, the laws of physics demand it and even Bielsa can't trump that. It wasn't a reckless challenge, it wasn't two-footed (as you mention with Baldock the previous week), the ball was played well in advance of any contact with the attacking player, there was no malice (as there was with Sterling), simply a defender defending robustly but fairly when confronted with a 50/50 ball.

Having said all that, I tend to agree with others that a period without Cooper might be interesting, allowing/forcing changes that could bear on what might be our back four next season. Of course there is always the possibility that club will appeal the red, so he might be back next week!
    New rule around reckless tackles that are likely to or do injure players - according to the rules given the height of his foot and follow through always going to be a danger - few pundits called it as an orange card showing it was on the borderline. Think the issue is in slow mo he catches the player around the knee so looked horrific.

I don’t really agree with it as that was a challenge Jesus was never going to get to win so he puts himself in danger too.

A lot of sports have these sorts of fouls now where there was no intent on the part of the player but to encourage ‘better behaviours/techniques’ look at rugby and high tackles - you sometimes see the ref apologising to the player for the red card but explaining they had no choice.

The biggest issue I have with it is the consistency as others above have said - the Baldock challenge was miles worse

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)