+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Taking the knee, tribute to Prince Philip conundrum.

Taking the knee, tribute to Prince Philip conundrum.

I read that all Scottish clubs will observe a 1 minute silence for Prince Philip tomorrow.

I was wondering if they would also be 'taking the knee'

I find it a strange contradiction ... on one hand, a gesture of opposition to racism, and on the other, a tribute to a man known making many racist comments over the decades.

It surely has to be one or the other, but then .... dropping the 'taking of the knee' in favour of the racist royal would come across as a slap in the face to all who are fully behind 'giving racism the red card'. Also feels overly hunnish to me.

How the fk can this be reconciled??

Do neither

If it’s not too radical an idea, they could drop the politics and concentrate on the football.

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    Do neither

If it’s not too radical an idea, they could drop the politics and concentrate on the football.
    I don't see why the team should start playing football this late in the season.
    Tokenism, that's what we need.

Quote Originally Posted by donsdaft View Post
    Do neither

That would be the safe option Donsdaft.

Personally? If 'stand free' means anythin', I say there's mair reason to 'take the knee' tomorrow .... and forget the 1 minute silence. In so doin', we set ourselves apart fae every ither club honouring a notorious racist.

Tae do both jist disna mak a shred o' sense.

What's the point of a minutes silence when there is nobody there?

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
    What's the point of a minutes silence when there is nobody there?
    The same might be asked aboot playin' entertainin' fitba!

This whole “taking the knee” thing is utter pish.

Still, it make a hell of a lot mair sense than honouring some royal b’astard, racist or no.

You can’t be royal and not racist, to be royal is to be a race apart, a race chosen by god.

Shoot the f’uckin lot of them.

Quote Originally Posted by NaeMairNeeps View Post
    The same might be asked aboot playin' entertainin' fitba!
    I knew there had to be a reason for this season.

We’ve been doing that stupid knee thing for a whole year, what a waste of time. Far better to do something once a season if you want to draw attention to an issue. When’s it ever going to end...

Really, in today's world, isn't the whole concept of 'football' problematic? Referring to the foot is itself ableist, and framing the narrative in terms of a 'ball' - the crude manifestation of the male gonad - is itself toxic patriarchy. With any luck, once the new Hate Crime Bill is active, we can get the whole thing shut down, including this site. That'll solve the problem.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast