+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Real Madrid v Chelsea

Real Madrid v Chelsea

I would not normally write a Match Preview on any game not involving my beloved Clarets but I do so on this occasion without apology because of the issues involved. This is a Champions League Semi-Final First Leg which both teams have earned the right to play in by beating Liverpool and Porto respectively in their Quarter Finals. The “Galacticos” have one of the finest midfields in Europe with Casemiro lining up alongside Toni Kroos and Luka Modric but off the pitch Real Madrid along with their Catalan arch rivals Barcelona are burdened with huge debts. Real Madrid President Florentino Pérez proposed setting up a new European Super League where a select group of clubs would play each other not by right of competition but by exclusive membership. Whilst the English clubs who signed up to this rebel League quickly realised the error of their ways Pérez has continued to maintain that this hideous scheme was designed to save football itself. Most fans have realised that in truth the ESL was all about saving Real Madrid and a few others from the huge financial hole they have dug themselves into. Instead of tearing up football’s tried and tested and fair structures Real Madrid need to learn to live within their means. In essence they want to bleed football dry to save their own skins. I do not know if Perez intends to attend the second leg at Stamford Bridge on May 5th but should he do so he should be left in no doubt about his culpability. That condemnation must also extend to Zinedine Zidane who, to his utter shame, has refused to come out against the ESL.

" Real Madrid along with their Catalan arch rivals Barcelona are burdened with huge debts."

I don't take much interest in the doings of these big clubs so forgive me, but wasn't FFP specifically designed to prevent clubs running up huge debts ?

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    " Real Madrid along with their Catalan arch rivals Barcelona are burdened with huge debts."

I don't take much interest in the doings of these big clubs so forgive me, but wasn't FFP specifically designed to prevent clubs running up huge debts ?
    Yes it was and it is having as much success as VAR in improving things.
    Football used to be a simple game, enjoyed by the working class without any sort of outside encumbrance and with the odd match on the telly.
    I wonder where it all went wrong?

Edit: ----This will be the fourth meeting between the two side and Real Madrid have yet to win!
    Last edited by Supersub6; 27-04-2021 at 03:01 PM.

Bale on £350k a week for example is just the tip of the iceberg, Real Madrid and Barcelona and their ilk are sailing straight towards it, just like the Titanic did.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Bale on £350k a week for example is just the tip of the iceberg, Real Madrid and Barcelona and their ilk are sailing straight towards it, just like the Titanic did.
    When you read things like this in the Mail today you just know that the ESL will raise its head again before too long, regardless of fans protesting.

Liverpool have reported a £46million pre-tax loss for the financial year ending May 2020 - which equates to an £88m negative swing from their position just over 12 months ago.

The loss of significant media revenue and match day income due to Covid-enforced empty grounds contributed to the huge difference, and it is understood the total impact of the pandemic will hit the club to the tune of £120m by the time supporters are allowed to return.

Could the final really be Chelsea v Citeh? Where would the owners park their luxury yachts prior to the game?

On the game itself, I gave up before the end, bored witless.

Chelsea are well placed after last night’s 1-1 draw in the away leg but going through will be no formality. Remember the Blues lost at home to Lyon in the Quarter Finals and Real Madrid will think they have every chance of progressing further in the Competition. Whatever the outcome I hope Pérez (should he attend) and Zidane are left in no doubt what we think about the ESL. In the meantime hopefully the football authorities will be working on ways to clip the wings of the Glazers, Stan Kroenke, John Henry et al so they cannot repeat their act of betrayal. Greater fan involvement in clubs must be brought in by legislation if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    On the game itself, I gave up before the end, bored witless.
    I watched Brentford v Rotherham which was a good watch and Rotherham, as has been the case in many matches this season, just couldn't find an equaliser and went down 1-0 for the 13th match this season and they have also lost 6 other games by the odd goal.
    Fine margins ----as Sean would say!

I then switched over to the Real Madrid game which had just started the second half. I totally agree, sinkov, it was a borefest after watching proper football.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    I watched Brentford v Rotherham which was a good watch and Rotherham, as has been the case in many matches this season, just couldn't find an equaliser and went down 1-0 for the 13th match this season and they have also lost 6 other games by the odd goal.
    Fine margins ----as Sean would say!

I then switched over to the Real Madrid game which had just started the second half. I totally agree, sinkov, it was a borefest after watching proper football.
    Not being an expert Sub, I couldn't make my mind up whether the stalemate meant Chelsea had turned into the real deal, no pun intended, or Real were not all they were cracked up to be, but by 80 minutes I was way past caring and switched it off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)