+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Huddersfield Post Match Thoughts

I hate to say it as i know I will get some hammer for this from a few on here but yet again Warny bottled it and did not get the tactics right. He missed a massive opportunity yet again by not putting Ladapo on for the 2nd half ok Tree had an ok game but we needed that extra body up top and Freddie would have given us that. Tree tends to play in bursts and then falls back to get some air in his lungs and for about 10 minutes is basically a bystander. He does that to often and leaves the 1 up on his own but in a game you have to win and you only have 45 mins to do it in then Ladapo for Tree was the move to make. Shakes head. 2 points thrown away yet again and I am so peed off with warny it's unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLadonOS View Post
    I hate to say it as i know I will get some hammer for this from a few on here but yet again Warny bottled it and did not get the tactics right. He missed a massive opportunity yet again by not putting Ladapo on for the 2nd half ok Tree had an ok game but we needed that extra body up top and Freddie would have given us that. Tree tends to play in bursts and then falls back to get some air in his lungs and for about 10 minutes is basically a bystander. He does that to often and leaves the 1 up on his own but in a game you have to win and you only have 45 mins to do it in then Ladapo for Tree was the move to make. Shakes head. 2 points thrown away yet again and I am so peed off with warny it's unreal.
    That's working on the assumption that making that change would have definitely worked, we'll never know if it would. Personally I'd have liked to see him bring Ladapo on for Lindsay instead of Barlaser. However, we kept a clean sheet and created more than enough chances to win. If Wiles tucks away that easy chance then we all say the tactics were spot on.
    Last edited by Masbroughstreet; 10-04-2021 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLadonOS View Post
    I get where you are coming from but for me in the 2nd half we were in control for large periods. We were in control playing a certain formation, creating chances etc. Therefore the answer isn't always 'put another striker on and you'll definitely score' because if Crooks came off you would lose him as the link between the midfield and Smudge. Lose his aerial threat for set pieces, in both boxes I might add. If you take off Lindsay for Ladapo you change shape slightly, lose that bite that Lindsay brings and you alter a successful formation in game in terms of how it is working in the game with creating. Push Crooks back if that happens you could argue but him and Lindsay aren't the same obviously and don't have the same skillset. I don't think throwing on Ladapo or Hirst was right in this game, I agree with PW, we were dominating and created clear chances as well as half chances. The finishing is what ultimately cost us, the formation and players worked apart from that finishing touch.

We all know though that PW is the cautious type, not comfortable with making a gamble.

Subs tend to be mainly last throw of the dice chasing an equaliser. He’s not happy changing things when scores are equal.

We played well. Nobody had a bad game. Should have won but with Coventry losing we've gained a point on them. Don't think Giles gives us enough when he comes on same with Flo & Hirst. Is Sadlier fit? Ogbene can only play as a winger but if over his injury he's a match winner especially at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Fair do's. It's just that without him we have no leadership anywhere on the pitch.
    Dress Woody up as a ball boy and have him barking around at the side of the pitch?

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    We all know though that PW is the cautious type, not comfortable with making a gamble.

Subs tend to be mainly last throw of the dice chasing an equaliser. He’s not happy changing things when scores are equal.
    Perhaps he was bold in sticking to a formation that was creating chances instead of gambling / panicking? Yes we didn't score but you could argue that he was bold in not just piling forwards on and keeping faith with a formation that was working by and large. Throw a striker on and we may have scored, alternatively we may have been caught by a sucker punch and still been 7 behind with confidence shot. Who knows.

To add the the above, making lots of changes in game generally suggests something isn't working whereas making 1 or 2 switches generally means the plan is working. When I see any game and note a load of subs I don't tend to think of a manager being bold or masterful, more that what they were doing wasnt working and they are scrambling for something that does.

...if Wiles had scored, they wouldn't have been 2 mins injury time...more like 5

Hudd made 4 subs and us 2....that, according to 30sec per sub.....3mins minimum......

Quote Originally Posted by MillersTime View Post
    Perhaps he was bold in sticking to a formation that was creating chances instead of gambling / panicking? Yes we didn't score but you could argue that he was bold in not just piling forwards on and keeping faith with a formation that was working by and large. Throw a striker on and we may have scored, alternatively we may have been caught by a sucker punch and still been 7 behind with confidence shot. Who knows.
    Yes that could be so, but with so many games in a short period I would’ve expected more subs to rest players.

But yes PW probably didn’t want to upset the rhythm of a team playing relatively well

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast