+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watershed??

Watershed??

5 goals in 13 minutes! Don't know what to say. Well, I do but I don't think it would be very constructive!
    This game has to be the watershed moment for this season. Wintle has disappeared in recent weeks. If Beccles is refusing to take up his option on the contract extension, then he can go (he also loses my vote for player of the season, if that's true AND from today's game).
    Lancashire must be on his way out. I can't believe that Ainley hasn't signed! Can,t imagine any of those scouts were there to see him!
    So what's left? Daniels or Wood and Offord at CH. Pixie can see out the season. A choice of two full backs for RB (Johnson or Adebisi). Murphy, Lowery and recall Griffiths. (we're really short in midfield!). Forward line can stay as it is. So bare bones but will give some insight as to who is up for next season.

I've been thinking for some time that Beccles' time is up. Also not sure about Murphy.

My preference for next season would be:
    Jaaskelainen/ Richards
    Johnson Daniels Lancashire Adebisi
    Offord
    Dale Lowery Finney Kirk
    Mandron

I realise that Lancashire won't be offered a new contract, so maybe Sass-Davies or a new face as CB. I also know that the above selection leaves us with a very weak bench.
    I don't think that Powell will stay, so I hope that DA is pro-active in the transfer market again.

We need CB that can play out from the back and to stop this insistance of playing safe/backwards.

I agree with the idea of Offord in that position for next season. It will fully utilise his anticipatory skills in defence. He has yet to show much in carrying the ball out of defence. I think Lancashire won't be here and for some reason, possibly not Kirk.
    I do go along with the 4-1-4-1 formation.

Today's game may actually work in our favour in the longer term.
    Perhaps some of the questions that DA/KL have been pondering over were answered today.
    Would be a good idea to get a real good look at all the loanees between now and the end of the season.
    (BTW - noticed that Anthony Evans captained the U23s away at Hull)

Perhaps, irrespective of who is in the team, we (actually, the management) need to realise that playing tiki taki at the back with league 1 players does not work. It worked for a while until we got sussed ( Gillingham away) and teams realise that a high press will lead to mistakes 18-20 yards from goal. Week in, week out it happens. The receiver gets pressed, turns and has a chance to welly it, but no...we must pass it square/back/to another red shirt who is marked. The pass is rushed, and well, you know the rest.

Totally agree. Playing out from the back only works if you try something different now and again. Many times this season Will/Dave have had the chance to set up a counter, but have decided to slow things down.

Some players can, some can’t. Beckles has shown some ability to bring the ball out when the opposition sit back and allow it, but he also shows a willingness to get rid when appropriate. I don’t think that Lancashire offers either of those options for the most part, but neither player makes the right decision at the right time that consistently- I guess if they did they wouldn’t be playing for us! As Richards can barely make the half way line with his kicking I guess he’ll always prefer to pass but his decision making makes the CBs look like Einstein. I have more confidence in Will on both counts and he seems to be improving, at least in the kicking department.

As to Offord playing there, maybe in the suggested formation, or a 4-2-3-1, where he isn’t required to pass over longer distances. He could play as a 2 with Murphy leaving CK, Lowery and Dale (or Ainley or Finney) to buzz around Mandron. Either way we need a defence, and if Offord isn’t a critical part of it, then who is? Outside of Pixie he has been our best and most consistent defender this season, IMHO, so if he’s in CM, who’s at the back?

My only criticism of Will is that he does not command his box. There was a couple of occasions against Oxford when Beccles was shielding an over hit pass towards the goal line but aware it would not go out and wanted the keeper to come and claim it. He failed to do this and this put Beccles under extreme pressure from the Oxford forward. All the chat on here is about our midfield and defenders. I want to see us get a striker who can score goals regularly. It might mean a change of style in the way we play but it would be worth it.

Good to see that DA has been reading my comments!!!! (re team last night)

Smiling with you, gazan., I think we also saw last night why Dave hasn’t tried it before- we haven’t got anyone who can play off the big striker! It was a good effort from Dale, just not his game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast