+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The cost of going up

The cost of going up

Can we afford it this time, we would need virtually a full new team, would have to pay up the contracts of players like McGowan and surely the manager who I can’t see leading us to survival up there

Quote Originally Posted by jdfc View Post
    Can we afford it this time, we would need virtually a full new team, would have to pay up the contracts of players like McGowan and surely the manager who I can’t see leading us to survival up there
    Good point jdfc. Only solution seems to me to promise McPake and his team the chance to show that they are good enough if they win the playoffs. I know this will not be universally popular, but seems to me to be a better option than completely starting from scratch in the event that McPake and his players do win promotion. I think it unlikely that we would get anywhere near winning the playoffs if the club thought that would bin everyone who got us promoted.

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    Good point jdfc. Only solution seems to me to promise McPake and his team the chance to show that they are good enough if they win the playoffs. I know this will not be universally popular, but seems to me to be a better option than completely starting from scratch in the event that McPake and his players do win promotion. I think it unlikely that we would get anywhere near winning the playoffs if the club thought that would bin everyone who got us promoted.
    It’s just a realistic view, a number of these players weren’t good enough the last time we were up there, we need to learn from our mistakes

It’s just a realistic view, a number of these players weren’t good enough the last time we were up there, we need to learn from our mistakes
    Worried that this kind of realism will take hold of the squad and they don't manage to get us promoted. Admit it's not a stick on certainty, but i think any hint of McPake and his team not being good enough to play in the top league, if they actually do win promotion is very negative. Would rather hope that they might have a good bounce and do OK in the top league than start from scratch - again with all the costs, as you say, that that has entailed over the years.

I dont think we need to even worry about it

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    Worried that this kind of realism will take hold of the squad and they don't manage to get us promoted. Admit it's not a stick on certainty, but i think any hint of McPake and his team not being good enough to play in the top league, if they actually do win promotion is very negative. Would rather hope that they might have a good bounce and do OK in the top league than start from scratch - again with all the costs, as you say, that that has entailed over the years.
    Which players would you keep who are out of contract at the end of this season if we managed to gain promotion via the playoffs.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)