+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The rebuild...

Quote Originally Posted by jacobncfc View Post
    Pretty much agree with all of this, to be honest. On the wide players, a bit of a sliding doors moment this season was probably with Tom Walker. Ardley seemed to give the impression he’d been trying to sign him for ages, but then didn’t use him that much while he was here despite Roberts being injured. Now at Stockport where he’s starting every game for a team in great form.

The new post-Brexit rules have ended the signing players from abroad thing. I would add to that - I would like to see us avoid signing many players from the EFL as well. It’s tempting to use our resources and pull to convince players like Reeves to drop down to this level, but I think a much better approach would be to use that to sign some of the better players from the rest of this division. Have we actually signed a single player directly from another NL club since we’ve been down here?
    I'd also agree. The jury is out on Ellis as I'd like us to sign younger players and Chicksen needs to prove he can be an asset.

I'd start by pushing the boat out to sign Tshimanga.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    It would be nice if you could tell us all how it works then.
    What clauses has IB got built into his contract.?
    From what I've heard in the media over recent years, managers don't usually get 'paid off' nowadays when they're sacked, they just continue to get paid until they find a new job. I assume that's what he means.

Someone like IB would be very keen to get back into work if Notts let him go, but there have been situations (one of the ex Chelsea managers) who are happy to sit doing nothing as they knew they wouldn't get as much money from a new job.

Quote Originally Posted by PedroTheFisherman66 View Post
    It would be nice if you could tell us all how it works then.
    What clauses has IB got built into his contract.?
    Sure. If IB was to be sacked let's say 10 games into next season after a disastrous start. He wouldn't receive his full salary for the 4 year term of his contract as Davy believes and fears. So the weakness he identified is based on 1 example, 1 manager hence why people laughed at it.

He appears to think a 4 year contract guarantees 4 year's salary even if only in charge for less than 1 year.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Sure. If IB was to be sacked let's say 10 games into next season after a disastrous start. He wouldn't receive his full salary for the 4 year term of his contract as Davy believes and fears. So the weakness he identified is based on 1 example, 1 manager hence why people laughed at it.

He appears to think a 4 year contract guarantees 4 year's salary even if only in charge for less than 1 year.

Hope that helps.
    It doesn't really help. You've told us he won't get the full four years, but you haven't said what you think he would get.

It's just that a couple of years ago you were telling us quite loudly that it would cost an absolute fortune to sack Ardley.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    It doesn't really help. You've told us he won't get the full four years, but you haven't said what you think he would get.

It's just that a couple of years ago you were telling us quite loudly that it would cost an absolute fortune to sack Ardley.
    See my post, just above his. Of course, there's no guaranteeing that this is what his contract says.

Quote Originally Posted by KCNotts View Post
    I'd also agree. The jury is out on Ellis as I'd like us to sign younger players and Chicksen needs to prove he can be an asset.

I'd start by pushing the boat out to sign Tshimanga.
    Ellis is a funny one. I rate him as a player and his individual performances have been good, but I’m not sure you can say that his signing has improved us as I still think we look at our best defensively with the Rawlinson/Lacey pairing.

I don’t know his contract situation, but Lacey is probably our most important player to tie down IMO. Solid defender but also has a yard of pace and is comfortable on the ball, which is tough to find at this level and key to the way we all expect Burchnall to want to play.

Oh what a surprise.

It does help, it highlights that you can't make a huge assumption and claim that you know the manager would receive a 4 year payoff if sacked at any time during his contract unless you've seen the T&C's. I very much doubt he or anyone has. I believe he would get (considerably) less than the full four years.

Did I say the words "absolute fortune", i don't remember using those exact words when trying my very best to explain why hiring and firing managers every single season it's bad for the club's finances.

However I do remember that's when you struggled with the basic concept of what a 'guess' is lol.

Let's give it another shot Elite, and we will go really simple. Do you think (don't panic, it's only guess) the 4 year contract has no termination clause and no incentives built into it as Davy believes?#weakness

Ellis is a funny one. I rate him as a player and his individual performances have been good, but I’m not sure you can say that his signing has improved us as I still think we look at our best defensively with the Rawlinson/Lacey pairing.

I don’t know his contract situation, but Lacey is probably our most important player to tie down IMO. Solid defender but also has a yard of pace and is comfortable on the ball, which is tough to find at this level and key to the way we all expect Burchnall to want to play.
    Depending on length of contract, I’d replace Turner with Ellis. Rawlinson has needed a rest for a few weeks and Ellis is more than adequate replacement/cover. Agree re Lacey and then bring in a younger more athletic centre half. The latter being easier said than done.

Ellis is a proper, whole-hearted defender who has done reasonably well since joining us, but at the start of next season he would be turning 33, so I wouldn't risk offering him any more than a one year contract, and on balance I think we would be better signing a younger (maybe early to mid twenties) centre-half who we can build around for the longer term, in addition to what we have in Rawlinson and Lacey.

I don't think signing Ellis would fit in with the owners' overall business model because he's hardly likely to improve or gain sell-on value at his age. The general objective seems to be to identify young(er) undervalued talent and to help them realise their true potential and value with the help of good quality coaching.

Is it a case of Ellis or Rawlinson, not both, if Lacey is secured for next season?

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast