+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The rebuild...

I would love it if Davy's latest target was the owners, would prove very entertaining if nothing else#noagenda

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    Well finally we are beginning to see the weakness of the new owners

Unlike some of our previous chairman, that fired certain managers to soon ( The ones that had shown success), the owners seem to stick with managers to long, Ardley should have gone long ago, and now Burchnall has been given a 4 year contract,
    Davy I could see 110% your arguments in and around Ardley and agreed with many of your sentiments around them.
    However I cannot agree with your criticism of the owners.i would go as far as to say it was to their credit that they showed Ardley continued support despite his apparent failures in his quest for promotion.
    Even the pro Ardley supporters admitted he had short comings in his approach.
    I hope the brothers continue to follow this template with IB and give him the level of support that Ardley was allowed.
    Personally I see a promising manager/ coach in the making and fingers crossed time will prove the owners right.
    I really dont understand where the current criticism of the manager is coming from, hes still dealing with a group of players hes inherited and is trying to introduce his own style of play into a very much imbalanced and inconsistent team.
    Losing to a team in the top 2 of the division with an inconsistent team you have just inherited is no crime, disappointing yes, expected possibly a crime open to ridicule I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    We’ve been getting teasers for a while now but yesterday finally showed how far away from being a championship contender we really are. The owners probably saw this a while ago and began the rebuild for next season by appointing Burchnall early in preparation for next year.

I’m not totally writing off this season but I’ve seen nothing to suggest we can compete with Hartlepool, Chesterfield and as sad as it is to say...Sutton, Stockport and Halifax! So, how do we rebuild and who stays and goes?

Going on a 4-4-2 formation here is my keep/get rid list for next year...

GK

Slocombe - Keep
    Pilling - Keep
    Brooks - Keep

No issues with goalkeepers I feel.

Defence

DKE - Keep
    Brindley - Keep
    Golden - Get rid
    Rawlo - Keep
    Ellis - Keep if possible
    Lacey - Keep
    Turner - Get rid
    McCrory - Get rid (I like him but he’s injury prone)
    Chicksen - Keep
    Barnett - Get rid

Midfield

Doyle - Keep - maybe player coach, not a mainstay
    Griffiths - Get rid
    Reeves - Get rid
    Rodrigues - Keep
    Roberts - Keep
    O’Brien - Get rid
    Miller - Keep

When you look at that midfield list is it any wonder we’re constantly over run?

Forwards

Wootton - Keep
    Knowles - keep if the price is right
    Knight - Keep, needs time
    Enzio - Get rid. Thanks for some great goals but we need to free up some wages.
    Sam - Get rid
    Tyrece Palmer - Promote to seniors?

Again, having seen them play all season, there isn’t a great deal of quality or experience in attack either.

Having done that list it does make me realise that not only is our squad far from the best in the division but there are glaring deficiencies and midfield and attack. I’ve been pretty ruthless but by my reckoning we’d need to replace 9 players.

1 x CB
    1x LB
    2 x Proper experienced CM
    1 x Rm
    1 x LM
    2 x ST ...One being a proven player, not a wildcard!

There’s a lot of work to do, not only in recruitment but first of all in what style and formation we’re going to play. This season has been an unsettled hot mess of formations and tactics and we’ve not progressed one bit...let’s hope getting IB in early will help us prepare better for next season.
    I suppose it would be quite handy to know the contract positions of the squad before contemplating who to get rid of.

If we were in the position of everyone being out of contract(a shame we’re not) there’d be very few I’d keep. Maybe Slocombe, Rawlinson, Ellis, Lacey, Knight, Roberts and Wootton(just). Brindley’s pretty good as a defender, but useless over the halfway line.

Whatever method we used to recruit players last summer should be binned off, for example foreign players just don’t work at this level, I’m not sure how many times we have to learn this. Also signing has beens and never beens from the leagues above generally doesn’t work. I’m very much hoping that our new manager has good knowledge of our league and the 2 immediately below.

I should add I’m getting my first season ticket in about 25 years so I’m quite keen that we’re good!
    Last edited by BigFatPie; 11-04-2021 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    We’ve been getting teasers for a while now but yesterday finally showed how far away from being a championship contender we really are. The owners probably saw this a while ago and began the rebuild for next season by appointing Burchnall early in preparation for next year.

I’m not totally writing off this season but I’ve seen nothing to suggest we can compete with Hartlepool, Chesterfield and as sad as it is to say...Sutton, Stockport and Halifax! So, how do we rebuild and who stays and goes?

Going on a 4-4-2 formation here is my keep/get rid list for next year...

GK

Slocombe - Keep
    Pilling - Keep
    Brooks - Keep

No issues with goalkeepers I feel.

Defence

DKE - Keep
    Brindley - Keep
    Golden - Get rid
    Rawlo - Keep
    Ellis - Keep if possible
    Lacey - Keep
    Turner - Get rid
    McCrory - Get rid (I like him but he’s injury prone)
    Chicksen - Keep
    Barnett - Get rid

Midfield

Doyle - Keep - maybe player coach, not a mainstay
    Griffiths - Get rid
    Reeves - Get rid
    Rodrigues - Keep
    Roberts - Keep
    O’Brien - Get rid
    Miller - Keep

When you look at that midfield list is it any wonder we’re constantly over run?

Forwards

Wootton - Keep
    Knowles - keep if the price is right
    Knight - Keep, needs time
    Enzio - Get rid. Thanks for some great goals but we need to free up some wages.
    Sam - Get rid
    Tyrece Palmer - Promote to seniors?

Again, having seen them play all season, there isn’t a great deal of quality or experience in attack either.

Having done that list it does make me realise that not only is our squad far from the best in the division but there are glaring deficiencies and midfield and attack. I’ve been pretty ruthless but by my reckoning we’d need to replace 9 players.

1 x CB
    1x LB
    2 x Proper experienced CM
    1 x Rm
    1 x LM
    2 x ST ...One being a proven player, not a wildcard!

There’s a lot of work to do, not only in recruitment but first of all in what style and formation we’re going to play. This season has been an unsettled hot mess of formations and tactics and we’ve not progressed one bit...let’s hope getting IB in early will help us prepare better for next season.
    Think a lot of those will be gone.
    Not enough pace in the side or squad. You need the odd old head in the side but not of
    Doyles age or O'Briens.

Happy enough with the goalies.
    Would keep
    Rawlinson
    Ellis
    Lacey
    Reeves
    Rodrigues
    Roberts
    Enzio (would like to see him played up front Bartlett style or as an out & out winger)
    Knight
    Not overly fussed on Wootton tbh

I'd be scouring the NL for players who have been there for a couple of seasons so have the experience of this league.
    Thought yesterday although not brilliant the tempo when we got going was far better than under Ardley but ffs, stop playing the ball out from the back, across the box etc

I'd be shocked if he has a good knowledge of this league and the 2 below based purely on his managerial career to date.

Keeping only 6-8 players and getting 16-18 new players all in at the same time is very risky IMO and detrimental to next season. Too many fresh faces can be counter productive.

I wanna hear more from Davy on the weaknesses of the owners

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    I'd be shocked if he has a good knowledge of this league and the 2 below based purely on his managerial career to date.

Keeping only 6-8 players and getting 16-18 new players all in at the same time is very risky IMO and detrimental to next season. Too many fresh faces can be counter productive.

No point keeping them for the sake of it if not good enough. Thats why you have pre seasons, get your ideas across bonding etc

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post

We'll see but if I was a new manager I’d want as clean a slate as possible. Particularly after performances like yesterday’s.

This thread is really badly timed.
    We lost an away game to the league leaders, following, and still in, a period of turmoil (not only the manager change, but all the team and formation changes).

We are well-placed for the play-offs, and who knows what will happen in those. Which teams go in with momentum and form, which may have peaked too soon....
    And over 1 leg, the games are one-offs where anything can happen anyway.

Finally, there are 12, and up to 15 games, for players to prove themselves, to show what they can offer. The time for assessment is after that

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    This thread is really badly timed.
    We lost an away game to the league leaders, following, and still in, a period of turmoil (not only the manager change, but all the team and formation changes).

We are well-placed for the play-offs, and who knows what will happen in those. Which teams go in with momentum and form, which may have peaked too soon....
    And over 1 leg, the games are one-offs where anything can happen anyway.

Finally, there are 12, and up to 15 games, for players to prove themselves, to show what they can offer. The time for assessment is after that
    All true, but having a bit of chat about who you’d keep/get rid of doesn’t change anything. I hope the players prove they’re all worth keeping by the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by irishpete View Post
    No point keeping them for the sake of it if not good enough. Thats why you have pre seasons, get your ideas across bonding etc
    Agree Pete that's a major part of preseason and why it still amuses and bemuses me that some on here don't think the lost pre season after relegation had much of an impact to that season.

I'm happy if IB and the owners want as much of a clean slate as possible as BFP mentioned but can't be easy to blend and integrate 15+ new players into a squad.

Happy if it happens but that will take some extra time to get everyone singing off the same hymn sheet.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast