+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The rebuild...

The rebuild...

We’ve been getting teasers for a while now but yesterday finally showed how far away from being a championship contender we really are. The owners probably saw this a while ago and began the rebuild for next season by appointing Burchnall early in preparation for next year.

I’m not totally writing off this season but I’ve seen nothing to suggest we can compete with Hartlepool, Chesterfield and as sad as it is to say...Sutton, Stockport and Halifax! So, how do we rebuild and who stays and goes?

Going on a 4-4-2 formation here is my keep/get rid list for next year...

GK

Slocombe - Keep
    Pilling - Keep
    Brooks - Keep

No issues with goalkeepers I feel.

Defence

DKE - Keep
    Brindley - Keep
    Golden - Get rid
    Rawlo - Keep
    Ellis - Keep if possible
    Lacey - Keep
    Turner - Get rid
    McCrory - Get rid (I like him but he’s injury prone)
    Chicksen - Keep
    Barnett - Get rid

Midfield

Doyle - Keep - maybe player coach, not a mainstay
    Griffiths - Get rid
    Reeves - Get rid
    Rodrigues - Keep
    Roberts - Keep
    O’Brien - Get rid
    Miller - Keep

When you look at that midfield list is it any wonder we’re constantly over run?

Forwards

Wootton - Keep
    Knowles - keep if the price is right
    Knight - Keep, needs time
    Enzio - Get rid. Thanks for some great goals but we need to free up some wages.
    Sam - Get rid
    Tyrece Palmer - Promote to seniors?

Again, having seen them play all season, there isn’t a great deal of quality or experience in attack either.

Having done that list it does make me realise that not only is our squad far from the best in the division but there are glaring deficiencies and midfield and attack. I’ve been pretty ruthless but by my reckoning we’d need to replace 9 players.

1 x CB
    1x LB
    2 x Proper experienced CM
    1 x Rm
    1 x LM
    2 x ST ...One being a proven player, not a wildcard!

There’s a lot of work to do, not only in recruitment but first of all in what style and formation we’re going to play. This season has been an unsettled hot mess of formations and tactics and we’ve not progressed one bit...let’s hope getting IB in early will help us prepare better for next season.

Agree will nearly all of that but would keep Sam & get rid of Miller. Busy summer ahead I think

It will need to be a new team for Notts to have any belief that they can end up champions. Isn't Miller on loan? Don't need to get rid, will be going anyway. Knowles won't want to be at Notts next season. Enzio is out of contract and I am sure there will be league interest in him. Not as a wingback. I personally don't think Rodriguez or Sam are up to the job. Neither are any of the midfield. Really it is a question of who the new manager would want to keep from Ardley's inflated squad. Probably count them on the fingers of one hand.

Quote Originally Posted by TSANHO View Post
    We’ve been getting teasers for a while now but yesterday finally showed how far away from being a championship contender we really are. The owners probably saw this a while ago and began the rebuild for next season by appointing Burchnall early in preparation for next year.

I’m not totally writing off this season but I’ve seen nothing to suggest we can compete with Hartlepool, Chesterfield and as sad as it is to say...Sutton, Stockport and Halifax! So, how do we rebuild and who stays and goes?

Going on a 4-4-2 formation here is my keep/get rid list for next year...

GK

Slocombe - Keep
    Pilling - Keep
    Brooks - Keep

No issues with goalkeepers I feel.

Defence

DKE - Keep
    Brindley - Keep
    Golden - Get rid
    Rawlo - Keep
    Ellis - Keep if possible
    Lacey - Keep
    Turner - Get rid
    Chicksen - Keep
    Barnett - Get rid

Midfield

Griffiths - Get rid
    Reeves - Get rid
    Rodrigues - Keep
    Roberts - Keep
    O’Brien - Get rid
    Miller - Keep

When you look at that midfield list is it any wonder we’re constantly over run?

Forwards

Wootton - Keep
    Knowles - keep if the price is right
    Knight - Keep, needs time
    Enzio - Get rid. Thanks for some great goals but we need to free up some wages.
    Sam - Get rid
    Tyrece Palmer - Promote to seniors?

Again, having seen them play all season, there isn’t a great deal of quality or experience in attack either.

Having done that list it does make me realise that not only is our squad far from the best in the division but there are glaring deficiencies and midfield and attack. I’ve been pretty ruthless but by my reckoning we’d need to replace 9 players.

1 x CB
    1x LB
    2 x Proper experienced CM
    1 x Rm
    1 x LM
    2 x ST ...One being a proven player, not a wildcard!

There’s a lot of work to do, not only in recruitment but first of all in what style and formation we’re going to play. This season has been an unsettled hot mess of formations and tactics and we’ve not progressed one bit...let’s hope getting IB in early will help us prepare better for next season.

You do realise that at least 10 of your keeps have made up the bulk of our team virtually week in week out this season and much of last season. Take a look at their appearance stats. Why do you there think we can go forward with them with any confidence they will get better. Flawed logic there i think.
    Additionally why would the players you suggest we get rid who have a year or two left on their contract walk away. They wont and we will have to either pay them off or hope they want to move on.

I don’t think we need a huge rebuild, I’d rather we focused our energy and resources into finding the right players for the glaring holes in the squad. That would be two midfielders with some bite and energy to play alongside Reeves, a first choice left back, a forward who can chip in with ten goals to take the pressure off Wootton, and a left sided winger if Enzio moves on.

Keep, the keepers
    Defence, Lacey , Brindley, Chicksen, Ellis of possible, Rawlinson,
    Midfield, Reeves
    Attack, Wootton , Knight, Roberts.

I would offer Enzio a deal. Bit harsh on DKE but this squad has run its course and needs significant change.

We have got to prioritise strength, pace and athleticism all over the pitch next season - I don’t see any other way out of this division. Too many of the current squad don’t meet those requirements.

Depressing as this sounds, I think this is a two-three year rebuilding project that definitely won’t be fixed overnight. The owners also have to decide how important it is to develop our own talent, because right now there’s little hope of progression for young players coming through the ranks.

Keep: Rawlinson, Wootton, Lacey, Knowles, Rodrigues, Roberts

Get rid of everyone else.

Slocombe is alright, but not fussed either way.

GK
    Slocombe - Keep
    Pilling - Keep

Defence
    DKE - Keep
    Brindley - Keep
    Golden - Get rid
    Rawlo - Keep
    Ellis - Keep
    Lacey - Keep
    Turner - Get rid
    Chicksen - Keep
    Barnett - Get rid

Midfield
    Griffiths - Get rid
    Reeves - Get rid
    Rodrigues - Get Rid
    Roberts - Keep
    O’Brien - Get rid
    Miller - Keep

Forwards
    Wootton - Keep
    Knowles - keep
    Knight - Keep,
    Enzio - Get rid.
    Sam - Get rid
    Tyrece Palmer - Keep

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    GK
    Slocombe - Keep
    Pilling - Keep

Defence
    DKE - Keep
    Brindley - Keep
    Golden - Get rid
    Rawlo - Keep
    Ellis - Keep
    Lacey - Keep
    Turner - Get rid
    Chicksen - Keep
    Barnett - Get rid

Midfield
    Griffiths - Get rid
    Reeves - Get rid
    Rodrigues - Get Rid
    Roberts - Keep
    O’Brien - Get rid
    Miller - Keep

Forwards
    Wootton - Keep
    Knowles - keep
    Knight - Keep,
    Enzio - Get rid.
    Sam - Get rid
    Tyrece Palmer - Keep
    i tend to agree with that Durham, just one question that nobody has raised or even offered an answer for how long do we give our Coach, assuming we rebuild the Squad we will all be looking to move back to the EFL at the end of the season I would have thought.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast