+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Mickey Mellon

Quote Originally Posted by Arabknight View Post
    Pawlett to sign further 2 yr deal. Surely that means MM is going no where. He has been very vocal about wanting to keep Pawlett at United.
    Interesting interpretation Arabknight. I agree it's a positive sign. But I would like to see more evidence that the club are going to give MM the support he needs and that he has a future at DUFC.

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    Means absolutely nothing imo. Harkes signed an extension in June when we were managerless. Connolly signed an extension in August, five weeks after MM was appointed having only watched him in training. The manager isn't the only one deciding on the signings at our club.
    I think your right in that the manager is not the only one deciding on signings. The difference here is MM has almost had a season and been vocal about his desire to keep pawlett, who if we are to believe is one of our highest earners, and has obviously had a say in this.

Quote Originally Posted by offshore_arab83 View Post
    Wouldnt be sorry to see MM go and also wouldn't be sorry to see TA go either, his position and involvement isnt the norm and im not sure many managers would be happy working under him and him picking signings

strange set up
    Look at world football, its not a strange set up. To say not many managers would be happy working under him, what you actually mean is no out of touch Scottish dinosaurs would be happy to work with him.

Its 2021, football has changed, its not 1981 any more. A manager saying to a sporting director/director of football "I need a left back, go get me one" while he concentrates on day to day coaching is a good thing.

I would prefer it if the manager said "I want to strengthen position x. Here's the name of three boys I reckon we could afford and that I'm confident that any one of which would upgrade our 1st team. Go get one of them."

Quote Originally Posted by BackRowArab View Post
    Look at world football, its not a strange set up. To say not many managers would be happy working under him, what you actually mean is no out of touch Scottish dinosaurs would be happy to work with him.

Its 2021, football has changed, its not 1981 any more. A manager saying to a sporting director/director of football "I need a left back, go get me one" while he concentrates on day to day coaching is a good thing.
    I agree mate. Football and management has massively changed over the past 10 years or so. I remember RN when he first came to us commenting on TA position, and stating how much much he welcomed it because he could primarily concentrate on the day to day managing of the team.

Mission achieved with MM this season. He has done well to work with the issues he has had to deal with since coming in. The football hasn't been great but at the same time, Securing our place in the league was always the main aim. He does deserve next season to get the opportunity to improve on this.

however..... we all give him the benefit the of doubt regarding our style of play this season due to the tools he has to work with but given the amount of new deals we are handing out to players, next season's squad wont be too different from our current. The majority of the squad is likely to be there next season. Powers looks offski, Bolton/McNulty probably wont come back and if anyone gets sold (Benji/Shankland) look currently like the only changes. So maybe 2/3 new signings?

That doesn't give me any optimism regarding improving performances. Is he able to make these players play better? i dont know.

Quote Originally Posted by BackRowArab View Post

Can you tell me the qualifications Ashgar has for choosing players at a professional football club.

In fact, can you give me any reason why he should be running the show at our club other than he talks a good game.

I think he has done a decent job with a limited squad, my big reservations are the contract extensions we are handing out to players who are bottom 6 quality in my opinion. The football has been eye bleeding, but the priority this season was staying up, comparison might be Mixu's attempts at getting us to play like Barcelona and look where that finished.

Quote Originally Posted by spikeontheright View Post
    Can you tell me the qualifications Ashgar has for choosing players at a professional football club.

In fact, can you give me any reason why he should be running the show at our club other than he talks a good game.
    I believe he has worked in the same role at other clubs and has a background as an agent which should mean he has decent contacts. However these contacts have failed to materialise this season. Next season is massive for both MM and TA If we are to see any of the progress that keeps hearing about. I think at best MM will bring in a couple of players, and any other changes will be made by the introduction of some of the academy lads. Like chalmers, Meekelson, k smith, Davidson, mochrie, Glass as well as hoti. Which on paper isn’t that bad.

After what's happened over the last 13 months the last thing we want at Tannadice is a summer of discontent. Over June/July we should be looking forward to starting to get back into the ground come August & then there's the Euros to look forward to. So the last thing we need is more nasty politics. Prefer the simple life.

Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)