+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Mickey Mellon

I am 100% behind Micky.

Hope he stays and fancy he can do well with us next season.

Also don’t fancy any other options. But that’s not the point we should back and stay loyal to a decent manager

I've just stuck this on Tek so here goes on Mad....
    I can't believe we're even debating this. Some people are never happy. Think about what the last 12 months have been like. Things could have quite easily been an awful lot worse.

I should have read the posts before I commented.
    Virtually everyone on here is 100% behind him
    Some of the posts on Tek were critical.
    Apologies for not doing proper research!

Quote Originally Posted by ARAbCHNID View Post
    I should have read the posts before I commented.
    Virtually everyone on here is 100% behind him
    Some of the posts on Tek were critical.
    Apologies for not doing proper research!
    Failing to prepare is preparing to fail 🤣

Quote Originally Posted by cybershed View Post
    I'm totally behind Micky.

It's been a difficult season for United to negotiate given the circumstances.

But we've staved off relegation with a level of comfort, and are gunning to get 7th spot with a possible cup run to come.i

I'm a bit worried that we may not be able to give Micky the budget he needs to truly turn us into a top six side. But he proved he can get more out of the players at his disposal. He's made us fitter than we have been for years, and the team fight for each other to the last minute of every game.

Micky also seems to know his stuff when it comes to game management. A quality that we've not had in the dugout for many a year.

Hopefully a bit of stability with Micky at the helm will bring about further improvement as we seek to re-establish our club as top-tier side.
    I agree. And JJA22flup's post makes a lot of sense too.
    It would surely be very bad for the club to have to find yet another manager. Micky has done exactly what he was tasked to do and has therefore earned the right to the respect and loyalty of the fan base. He's brought in two players, Fuchs and Edwards, both have been successes. In the coming months and years he will add players of that type and seems committed to giving youngsters a chance.
    I think we have one of the top two or three managers in Scotland. If you look around the current managers at all the Scottish clubs, who would you take that you reckon would be better than Micky?
    The best periods in our club's history have been when we are all behind a manager.
    Indeed, we as fans have a responsibility to our club. We have a job to do. We give loud and enthusiastic support. We take the role of "12th man" (a cliche, but the sentiment is valid). When we go a goal down we redouble support, not complain and give the team stick. There is too much sniping, minor criticisms, too many keyboard experts who appear to have forgotten we all want the same thing.
    All clubs are strong when they are all pulling in the same direction.
    It appears to me at the moment that Dundee United have a generous owner, an ambitious and coherent business plan, a team that is performing better than half of the others in this league (in our first season back in the top league), and a crop of exciting youngsters coming through.
    It is a situation many clubs in this country would be very happy to have.
    I really hope Micky stays. The fact that other clubs want him speaks volumes.
    I'll be renewing my season ticket no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by LSArab View Post
    I am 100% behind Micky.

Hope he stays and fancy he can do well with us next season.

Also don’t fancy any other options. But that’s not the point we should back and stay loyal to a decent manager
    Agree.

Think most are all of same opinion

Like most I have been supportive of the manager and I admit in the moment of living game to game it has been a hard watch.
    Do we blame him? The players? or the lack of funds and recruitment?*

I'd like to think covid and hearts put a halt on any plan A B or C for recruitment and we ended up with plan zzz
    Mickey had to then start the season from a weaker than expected position.

No crowds allowed him to
    a) to set the team up to play in a formation and style to get the points needed to survive and
    b) get results thus inspire the players and somehow making them believe that the squad are better than what they actually are.*

Taking a step back, with the shenanigans he came into at the time, if we were told we would be safe from any relegation and in 7th with 4 to go we would have been well chuffed with that.

A good start had some of us setting higher expectations and with it ultimately a bit of frustration at not making top 6.
    Truth is we have a team of players too good for the championship but not good enough for top 6 so we are where we probably should be which is safe but in bottom 6.

Personally I feel we could have still been in the fight but we have carried a bit of luck with Benji being brilliant and other teams not taking chances they should have,* though with the crap luck we had at the end of last season I think we deserved the bit of good we get.

My view is we need to put ourselves in the position where we don't need to be lucky and quality recruitment and a proper pre season is* needed. Do that and we can be optimistic whoever is in charge although I do think Mickey should stay and show us what he can do with a bit of recruitment and a good prep for season 21/22

Having said that if MM is thinking of leaving, my view is its a shame as he will never have witnessed Tannadice bouncing and singing his name and he deserves it for keeping us up.
    But if he can't handle the heat with no crowds then he's better off going as whilst we are great craic during games, we are not shy in letting managers know when the performance on the pitch is not good enough

Quote Originally Posted by A. J View Post
    Think most are all of same opinion

Like most I have been supportive of the manager and I admit in the moment of living game to game it has been a hard watch.
    Do we blame him? The players? or the lack of funds and recruitment?*

I'd like to think covid and hearts put a halt on any plan A B or C for recruitment and we ended up with plan zzz
    Mickey had to then start the season from a weaker than expected position.

No crowds allowed him to
    a) to set the team up to play in a formation and style to get the points needed to survive and
    b) get results thus inspire the players and somehow making them believe that the squad are better than what they actually are.*

Taking a step back, with the shenanigans he came into at the time, if we were told we would be safe from any relegation and in 7th with 4 to go we would have been well chuffed with that.

A good start had some of us setting higher expectations and with it ultimately a bit of frustration at not making top 6.
    Truth is we have a team of players too good for the championship but not good enough for top 6 so we are where we probably should be which is safe but in bottom 6.

Personally I feel we could have still been in the fight but we have carried a bit of luck with Benji being brilliant and other teams not taking chances they should have,* though with the crap luck we had at the end of last season I think we deserved the bit of good we get.

My view is we need to put ourselves in the position where we don't need to be lucky and quality recruitment and a proper pre season is* needed. Do that and we can be optimistic whoever is in charge although I do think Mickey should stay and show us what he can do with a bit of recruitment and a good prep for season 21/22

Having said that if MM is thinking of leaving, my view is its a shame as he will never have witnessed Tannadice bouncing and singing his name and he deserves it for keeping us up.
    But if he can't handle the heat with no crowds then he's better off going as whilst we are great craic during games, we are not shy in letting managers know when the performance on the pitch is not good enough
    Agree with this ^^^^^

I'd be surprised if he went to Doncaster but I don't know whether his family is still down south or relocated up to Scotland with him.

It hasn't been great to watch but taking everything into account he deserves the chance to forge his own side.

Quote Originally Posted by stokearab View Post
    Agree with this ^^^^^

I'd be surprised if he went to Doncaster but I don't know whether his family is still down south or relocated up to Scotland with him.

It hasn't been great to watch but taking everything into account he deserves the chance to forge his own side.
    from interview in September.

Mellon and English wife Jane have settled quickly since he quit Tranmere for the Arabs in the summer. They live close to the club’s training base in St Andrews and so Mellon walks in every morning.

That love for the local fresh air also sees him out on his mountain bike or hitting one of the top golf courses in the area.

Mellon said: “I love being back. I’d forgotten a lot of the great things about Scotland. Now I’m the last guy anyone wants to meet if they say they’re not happy about things here!

“They get it double-barrelled from me how fantastic a country it is and how brilliant the people are. I love my football here too.

“I’m having a great time, so’s my wife. She’s from the Fylde coast. It’s the first time she’s lived away. Apart from visiting the four kids in England you’ll struggle to get her to leave Scotland now.

I hope MM stays and takes us on to greater things.

January 1976 - United had just been whacked 4-1 at home to Motherwell. Near the end of the game hundreds of United supporters gathered at the Arkley Street end to shout abuse at Wee Jim calling for his head. Imagine IF the minority had had their wish that day??

Give MM his chance - we need stability after RN, Hearts and Covid.

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)