+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Mickey Mellon

If Livi win that will be 4 away games on plastic back to back

So far two 1-0 wins

Overall form very decent, 4 wins in a row, 6 unbeaten (including 0-0 with Celtic) , 1 defeat in 9 being at Ibrox

Seems to me that the criticism Mellon is getting is hugely over top. Goes back to the fact many didn't want him in the first place. Unfortunately therefore any opportunity to criticise will be taken. Same goes with some of our players....Clark, Harkes and Robson get ridiculous grief regardless of the facts whilst we make excuses for Shankland's consistently poor form.

Thank goodness for this forum. At least views here tend to be balanced to a degree. Twitter is awful to read.

We need to be careful what we wish for. Pushing Mellon out leaves the door open for much much worse. For me the journey was always going to be difficult and long. We are in a better position than I could have imagined having been an utter joke for years. Yes, the football hasn't been free flowing (in patches in games it has) but that is no different to any other top flight team this season.

Think some perspective is called for. Two more games this week to try to improve in. Future remains bright

IF we were in league one there is every chance we would be in a relegation battle.I base that solely on our head to head this season v teams of that calibre.
    I blame most of that on the 11 on the pitch.

I completely support MM, and we'll see where he takes us next season, though with United having debts of £7m. I don't think there will be a lot of spending in the close season, unless we release a number of players to free up wages

As far as I can see, there is so much speculation (not facts) being spouted from dee c t . They are just stirring it. eg
    "MM may well be headed for Yorkshire this summer"
    "Never a popular choice with fan base"
    "Don't think United support will be too bothered if MM jumped ship"

That is the type of rag to avoid.

MM has done a job for us this season, and deserves support.

Quote Originally Posted by Orjan11 View Post
    ...hough with United having debts of £7m.
    Do they? I haven't seen the accounts but I was under the impression the owners were covering the losses.

Quote Originally Posted by Orjan11 View Post
    I completely support MM, and we'll see where he takes us next season, though with United having debts of £7m. I don't think there will be a lot of spending in the close season, unless we release a number of players to free up wages

As far as I can see, there is so much speculation (not facts) being spouted from dee c t . They are just stirring it. eg
    "MM may well be headed for Yorkshire this summer"
    "Never a popular choice with fan base"
    "Don't think United support will be too bothered if MM jumped ship"

That is the type of rag to avoid.

MM has done a job for us this season, and deserves support.
    It’s bad enough at the best of times, but right now it’s totally off the radar. You actually feel like you’ve got to double check the leagues to confirm where the respective Clubs are and that you’ve not somehow missed something. Today’s trip to LaLaLand comes from the Callum Woodger column in today’s Tully, and I quote -

“However recently we’ve seen a new Dundee - one that, when it comes to crunch time, has ice in its veins. In their current five game Championship unbeaten run, we’ve seen that in abundance. A late Lee Ashcroft header, a man who has taken on the Michael Jordon in his Chicago Bulls prime mantle, rescued a point against Morton last weekend. However Dundee have that character right through the team now. Credit must go to boss James McPake for that and they’ll need to be clutch going into the biggest week of their campaign so far”.

What. The. Actual. Phuck.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcClean View Post
    It’s bad enough at the best of times, but right now it’s totally off the radar. You actually feel like you’ve got to double check the leagues to confirm where the respective Clubs are and that you’ve not somehow missed something. Today’s trip to LaLaLand comes from the Callum Woodger column in today’s Tully, and I quote -

“However recently we’ve seen a new Dundee - one that, when it comes to crunch time, has ice in its veins. In their current five game Championship unbeaten run, we’ve seen that in abundance. A late Lee Ashcroft header, a man who has taken on the Michael Jordon in his Chicago Bulls prime mantle, rescued a point against Morton last weekend. However Dundee have that character right through the team now. Credit must go to boss James McPake for that and they’ll need to be clutch going into the biggest week of their campaign so far”.

What. The. Actual. Phuck.
    Hahahaha. Brilliant. Comparing a late equaliser against the mighty Morton to Michael Jordan's feats-- arguably the greatest sportsman in history. I hope his co-workers rip the piss out of him for that.

I really don't know what games most people on this thread have been watching this season.

With a very few exceptions, we have been awful. Yes, we are safe from relegation but we have paid a lot of money to have done this.

Friday night was a total embarrassment - a team that is bottom of a league 2 divisions below ours, who haven't won at home for 15 months, took the game to us and their players, who had done a full day of work beforehand, looked more comfortable and composed on the ball than ours did.

Our game plan was to pass, pass and pass again. Not once did any of our players take a man on in order to pull the opposition players out of position or to get to the byline and get a cross in. Jim McLean would have been turning in his grave.

The amount of aimless balls, under no pressure, fired up the park was soul destroying. If you guys are happy with watching this kind of crap, then good for you, but I refuse to put myself through that turgid sh!t week after week. I may be in the minority on here but I definitely am not in the minority of United fans with these opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by spikeontheright View Post
    looked more comfortable and composed on the ball than ours did.
    They really didn't, you were watching a different game than me

Were we good? No, did Forfar do well? Yes they defended well and made it difficult, on a sticky pitch

We were though as you'd expect the better side in the things you mentioned, done enough and their keeper had some good saves first half, deniz had none, we got the goal early second half and should have wrapped it up, didn't look in any real danger

I'm not overly bothered about style over results this season, especially with the games behind closed doors it's not a huge deal, our form is very decent and we are one game away from Hampden now, albeit a tough one

Not really the time for getting on the backs or being negative, daft imo

Quote Originally Posted by spikeontheright View Post
    I may be in the minority on here but I definitely am not in the minority of United fans with these opinions.
    And you can't know that.

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)