+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Mickey Mellon

Quote Originally Posted by japanarab View Post
    Hahahaha. Brilliant. Comparing a late equaliser against the mighty Morton to Michael Jordan's feats-- arguably the greatest sportsman in history. I hope his co-workers rip the piss out of him for that.
    That’s the point JA - his co-workers likely helped him put it together.

Quote Originally Posted by spikeontheright View Post
    I really don't know what games most people on this thread have been watching this season.

With a very few exceptions, we have been awful. Yes, we are safe from relegation but we have paid a lot of money to have done this.

Friday night was a total embarrassment - a team that is bottom of a league 2 divisions below ours, who haven't won at home for 15 months, took the game to us and their players, who had done a full day of work beforehand, looked more comfortable and composed on the ball than ours did.

Our game plan was to pass, pass and pass again. Not once did any of our players take a man on in order to pull the opposition players out of position or to get to the byline and get a cross in. Jim McLean would have been turning in his grave.

The amount of aimless balls, under no pressure, fired up the park was soul destroying. If you guys are happy with watching this kind of crap, then good for you, but I refuse to put myself through that turgid sh!t week after week. I may be in the minority on here but I definitely am not in the minority of United fans with these opinions.
    Completely agree with regards Friday. It was awful. Two cup games now where I was hoping Mellon would let us play as he wants us to play against lower league opposition but no, we were stinking in both. The season has been the season. I'm happy to write it off as a one off due to all circumstances involved but f*ck me, we genuinely looked like a League One team in both these Cup ties. So disappointing.

I really don't know what games most people on this thread have been watching this season.

With a very few exceptions, we have been awful. Yes, we are safe from relegation but we have paid a lot of money to have done this.

Friday night was a total embarrassment - a team that is bottom of a league 2 divisions below ours, who haven't won at home for 15 months, took the game to us and their players, who had done a full day of work beforehand, looked more comfortable and composed on the ball than ours did.

Our game plan was to pass, pass and pass again. Not once did any of our players take a man on in order to pull the opposition players out of position or to get to the byline and get a cross in. Jim McLean would have been turning in his grave.

The amount of aimless balls, under no pressure, fired up the park was soul destroying. If you guys are happy with watching this kind of crap, then good for you, but I refuse to put myself through that turgid sh!t week after week. I may be in the minority on here but I definitely am not in the minority of United fans with these opinions.

Nobody is happy watching this kind of football but there is also a realism that given the squad we have finishing middle table in the first season back in Premiership is acceptable. Everyone knows we have to improve our play but without sounding like a broken record we do not have any creative players. That is the problem. I doubt Jim Mclean would have been able to get us playing attractive football with these tools at his disposal.

The key to judge MM will be when he can bring in his own players in the summer, something he was limited with last summer. The 2 players he was able to sign Edwards and Fuchs have both made an impact in strengthening us defensively. Give him a chance to sort out the creativity side of things.

To be fair last time we played forfar in the cup wee jum was the manager and after struggling to a draw at tannadice we just managed to beat them in the replay at station park on our march to the final guessing if social media was big at that time would have had people going nuts then too.

Most united supporters I know would settle for for 3 more dreary 1-0 wins in the cup would you'r majority of utd supporters rather a great show from utd in a 3-3 draw at the pit followed by an exit on penaltys?Would be great if utd could play brilliant every week and win but really we are a work in progress if you don't want to watch them every week that is fair enough maybe if they get better next season or season after you will change you'r mind.

Quote Originally Posted by arab777 View Post
    Nobody is happy watching this kind of football but there is also a realism that given the squad we have finishing middle table in the first season back in Premiership is acceptable. Everyone knows we have to improve our play but without sounding like a broken record we do not have any creative players. That is the problem. I doubt Jim Mclean would have been able to get us playing attractive football with these tools at his disposal.

The key to judge MM will be when he can bring in his own players in the summer, something he was limited with last summer. The 2 players he was able to sign Edwards and Fuchs have both made an impact in strengthening us defensively. Give him a chance to sort out the creativity side of things.
    Agree with all of that but will he get the size of budget in the summer that he needs to get the players in that he wants? I think Benji will be sold for way less than he's worth and Shankland's worth is diminishing weekly so the the budget will depend on where we finish in the league, a good cup run, the insurance money getting paid out and of course the fans putting their hands in their pockets again.

The biggest overhall is the midfield, we need decent width and someone with a modicum of ability in beside Jeando.

Jim McLean would have been turning in his grave .
    As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Wee Jim had his moments when some fans turned on him. Those fans also thought they were the majority - thank feck that wasn't the case.
    Of course we are disappointed with the standard of football United are playing at the moment but MM never claimed to be a magician. Give the man a chance. If he turns out to be another managerial/coaching let down then so be it - we have been there before.

Quote Originally Posted by DUFCstokie View Post
    As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Wee Jim had his moments when some fans turned on him. Those fans also thought they were the majority - thank feck that wasn't the case.
    Of course we are disappointed with the standard of football United are playing at the moment but MM never claimed to be a magician. Give the man a chance. If he turns out to be another managerial/coaching let down then so be it - we have been there before.
    He cannie be regarded in the history books as a let down because he kept us up against all the odds.As for Jim McLean you are spot on.
    If there was social media in the 70's we would never have won 3 trophies at Dens including the League Title.I really wish we had won up at Forfar and were all looking forward to a quarter final against a team who have failed to score against us in 3 matches.
    Ach well as the Funsters have been saying for over a century,"There's always next year Granny."

Quote Originally Posted by AraBrian View Post
    Most united supporters I know would settle for for 3 more dreary 1-0 wins in the cup would you'r majority of utd supporters rather a great show from utd in a 3-3 draw at the pit followed by an exit on penaltys?Would be great if utd could play brilliant every week and win but really we are a work in progress if you don't want to watch them every week that is fair enough maybe if they get better next season or season after you will change you'r mind.
    We'd all love to win the cup, no one's denying that, but it doesn't mean we can't be disappointed at throwing in that kind of performance against Forfar. I expected more. As did Spike. As did many others. They are 25 league places below us and rock bottom of League One after all and we looked like the League One team. It wasn't even as if we threw everything at them and they defended for their lives. We threw nothing at them because we simply weren't good enough. We were set up wrong and we had players playing who should not have been on the park which has been a recurring theme since the turn of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    We'd all love to win the cup, no one's denying that, but it doesn't mean we can't be disappointed at throwing in that kind of performance against Forfar. I expected more. As did Spike. As did many others. They are 25 league places below us and rock bottom of League One after all and we looked like the League One team. It wasn't even as if we threw everything at them and they defended for their lives. We threw nothing at them because we simply weren't good enough. We were set up wrong and we had players playing who should not have been on the park which has been a recurring theme since the turn of the year.
    Just replying to your post because it’s the last one.
    I think the point the guy is maybe trying to make is that there are some - who knows how many - supporters who don’t rate Mellon as a manager.
    The support on this forum is overwhelmingly behind him but this isn’t the only forum and some of the comments on social media do support that.
    I get the point that we’re through but the performance was poor.
    If we’d been playing well this season then I think the support would accept Fridays performance but we haven’t. Friday was pretty much like most other games.
    I don’t think anybody is looking for Mellon to be sacked. That would be grossly unfair as he has kept us up.
    But there is concern over how we’ll do next season. Hopefully we’ll be able to bring in new players.

Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)