+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Didn’t SD learn anything from the first game we played?

Didn’t SD learn anything from the first game we played?

Half time, cruising , in no danger whatsoever of losing this game.In the second half, Bruce decides on a last throw of the dice and sends on the one player who could change the situation. And he did. What makes it worse, is that we end up losing and Saint Maxim gets man of the match for a 20 minute performance, where by he scored one, and set up another. Even I could have told SD where the danger was going to come from.Why couldn’t SD or his team do the same ? After the equalising goal went in , didn’t anyone think that we had better keep an eye on him ? Apparently not. At this level, I find it unbelievable.
    I am beginning to come round to the fact that we need a new coach in charge, with fresh ideas , someone who has more tactical awareness. I know we are short on numbers and quality, but after the last two results, i’m Beginning to wonder what’s going on during the week leading up to a game.

If you look at the stats Malwayne we dominated the game but I only saw one team winning.We have no or creativity or quality going forward.24 shots with 4 on target.They had 10 with 5 on target.We had 13 corners and they had 3 yet we did not score from any of the corners or set pieces we had.

Why can't we sigh a guy like Maxim who can come off the bench and change a game in the wink of an eye?? We are badly served as supporters by the club and I for one am not confident its going to get better anytime soon.

He did us at Newcastle in exactly the same fashion. I was screaming at the television for Mee and Tarkowski to run out and engage his advance.

Pub team defending and horrible to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    He did us at Newcastle in exactly the same fashion. I was screaming at the television for Mee and Tarkowski to run out and engage his advance.

Exactly BT...it was more our deficiency than his plenty.....also witnessed at their end, same as Southampton, just hoik the ball into the box and hope, and we did the same today, plenty of possession, but were even less of a threat when we were down, there's no plan B...we're now obvious, even times when we had the option to do something different, we'd revert to the weaker option...was pitiful.

[QUOTE=Norder;39752841]Exactly BT...it was more our deficiency than his plenty.....also witnessed at their end, same as Southampton, just hoik the ball into the box and hope, and we did the same today, plenty of possession, but were even less of a threat when we were down, there's no plan B...we're now obvious, even times when we had the option to do something different, we'd revert to the weaker option...was pitiful.

Agree with most of that , we are naive again I’m afraid and I’ve posted many times we’re too nice,

The game reminded me of a Leeds game a few season back when Howson drove his bus through the middle of the park and scored , why don’t we wooden him early go and meet him and welcome him to the game.

We are one dimensional continuing with the same balls and tactics time and again.

I felt for Mcneil Today he’s creative but we have no creative player to play with him and other teams know that so
    We’re back to playing balls to wood who was in effectual today apart form setting up the goal didn’t really win many duals with centre backs.

I think Dyche will leave tbh as I don’t think the yanks will back us financially and that will be enough to make his mind up, let’s see if he can manage to keep us up so at least we get the money for another year before the inevitable happens
    I wouldn’t write us off going down this season yet tbh though.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post

Bt, I am now starting to think that the "big Time" for Tarks is now a thing of the past . He is around 29 as well and tactical defence does not look his thing right now. He does not look good enough to play at the higher levels of the PL and the teams that need CB's are looking abroad. Shop windowing is not looking at all great if I were a recruitment director at a top 6 club.

If I was Dyche, I'd play Long and Mee together and shove Tarkowski into the defensive role in a diamond formation. At least it would stop these runners.

Quote Originally Posted by army88 View Post

I felt for Mcneil Today he’s creative but we have no creative player to play with him and other teams know that so
    We’re back to playing balls to wood who was in effectual today apart form setting up the goal didn’t really win many duals with centre backs.
    somewhere (cant remember exactly) in the last 15 mins of the game - Army....McNeil had the ball, lost a Newcastle player, looks up for the Cross into the box....but doesn't send it in...why ?.....the regular, just cross it, see what happens - but not this time, he'd see about six magpies in a defensive line, with just two Burnley players in amongst them, so, he decides to play the ball back, to centre field. I think then, it went to the other wing where another cross came to nothing.
    Anyway, I didn't understand it, what was he thinking, odds of us getting the ball were too slim, players (Wood/Vydra?) weren't "creative" enough to win the ball, he didn't get a good picture of them, so couldn't decide where to place the cross ?....I don't know, but he'd done the work, so unless he was sure of a much better option, cross it into the box and hope for a connection, he'd done it so often, what changed ?

It Just summed up the confusion, when we do have better alternatives, we waste them on the weaker, and when we dont have them, we waste the stronger option we had....which is likely why, the majority of the time it's just hoof and hope....if even our strengths are weak, then the chance of something coming from nowhere, are none the worse.

Helmsman...where art thou ?

Last edited by Norder; 11-04-2021 at 07:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Norder View Post

somewhere (cant remember exactly) in the last 15 mins of the game - Army....McNeil had the ball, lost a Newcastle player, looks up for the Cross into the box....but doesn't send it in...why ?.....the regular, just cross it, see what happens - but not this time, he'd see about six magpies in a defensive line, with just two Burnley players in amongst them, so, he decides to play the ball back, to centre field. I think then, it went to the other wing where another cross came to nothing.
    Anyway, I didn't understand it, what was he thinking, odds of us getting the ball were too slim, players (Wood/Vydra?) weren't "creative" enough to win the ball, he didn't get a good picture of them, so couldn't decide where to place the cross ?....I don't know, but he'd done the work, so unless he was sure of a much better option, cross it into the box and hope for a connection, he'd done it so often, what changed ?

It Just summed up the confusion, when we do have better alternatives, we waste them on the weaker, and when we dont have them, we waste the stronger option we had....which is likely why, the majority of the time it's just hoof and hope....if even our strengths are weak, then the chance of something coming from nowhere, are none the worse.

Helmsman...where art thou ?

I think Norder the days of picking strikers out with a ball are few and far between since trips left , we do a lot of slinging balls into areas / zones and hoping we get someone on the end of them.
    Mcneil didn’t deliver in that instant but he tried on many occasions to get a give and go and create space to make a yard to deliver a quality ball.
    In his defence Peter’s tried to help him but is a bit numb and lacking in attacking prowess.

Vydra made intelligent runs yesterday but our quality of ball to him wasn’t the best and wood was muscled out of the game ( bar the goal assist that is ).

If I’m honest the obvious is there for all to see, Bruce saw an opportunity to change the game and he did just that , we chose not to address that situation or even react in any way shape or form , we got punished for it.

Saint maxim is a good player but they peed up his back so much on tv I nearly had to turn it off , my point was I listened to talk sport this morning Jamie O hara on Spurs performance and he said on Man Utd they kept the ball for 6 mins in a corner without a challenge.

He said he’d have cleaned one of them out card or no card to stop what they were doing, I still think the same applies to us we just let players go and it can’t be allowed to happen , cynical- maybe ? But when I played that’s what would have happened.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)